Case xx trapper question

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
Fishnbum

Case xx trapper question

Post by Fishnbum » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi, I’m new to the forum just found the website a few months ago. I have always been a knife guy and dabbled in knives since my early 20’s but have started seriously collecting this year. I’ve always loved trappers and have carried one as an EDC since I was a teenager. My question is how do you tell a case xx 1st model trapper from a regular trapper or a tested frame trapper from a regular XX frame trapper? Thanks in advance for any answers

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case xx trapper question

Post by Mumbleypeg » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:23 am

The differences are subtle but obvious once understood. Difficult to explain but in essence the bolsters on the oldest are shorter (therefore the handle cover slabs are longer). The second model has longer bolsters (and shorter handle covers) than the first, and the third has the longest bolsters and shortest handle covers. The easiest way to tell, for me at least, is by looking at the cap bolsters.

I don't have the first (oldest) version or I'd take a side-by-side picture of them for you to compare. Thats the best way to see the difference unless you can view and handle them in person. Maybe someone here that has all three will post a side-by-side picture of all three. There's probably a picture already here on AAPK somewhere!

Welcome to AAPK!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 am

Interesting Trapper variations that I was not familiar with.

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am

To build on what Ken said;

What fishnbum refers to are the three variations of 54 pattern trapper frames that can be found on CASE XX (1940-64) stamped trappers.

For many of their pocket knife patterns, Case changed the tooling from time to time, resulting in variations that can be observed by collectors. The trapper is such a highly collected pattern that collectors have identified several major manufacturing changes/variations from the XX era.

The earliest variation is referred to as the "Tested" frame by collectors since it matches the tooling of the Tested era (pre-XX). These have the narrowest lower bolster.

The next variation is referred to as the "first model" and it has a slightly wider lower bolster.

The last variation, called the "last model" was the most widely produced of the three during the XX era. The last model has the widest lower bolster of the three. This design was carried through to the later 54 patterns, USA to 70's stamps.

In each of the above, there were also changes to the blade tooling, but the bolster change is the easiest to spot.

I do not have a photo of the variation in bolster size to post, but there is a good photo of it in my book.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide second edition released November, 2015.

Visit My AAPK Store:

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... nifeaholic

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Not sure you can tell the difference the First Trapper pictured is a Case XX Red Stag I believe to be a first model look at the bolster difference & Blade.
Attachments
Milatary  & Stag 002.JPG

Fishnbum

Post by Fishnbum » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:11 am

Thanks guys, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”