Commercial vs. Residential Shipping.

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
cody6268

Commercial vs. Residential Shipping.

Postby cody6268 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:42 pm

I was looking at shipping for a few Dexter knives from a restaurant supply place, and noticed there was a two-dollar difference between the rates for a "commercial" and a "residential" address via UPS; 12.61 for the "commercial" address, 14.61 for "residential". Seems kinda odd that they'd charge different rates since no other place I've bought stuff from does. Any reason why they do it this way?

XX Case XX
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Commercial vs. Residential Shipping.

Postby XX Case XX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 pm

I've seen that a few times myself. Can't figure out why. It has to be delivered to a physical address so what difference does it make if it's a house or a business? It still has 4 walls and a roof. Maybe it has something to do with tax laws or city codes. There's crazy rules everywhere, why should shipping be any different?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Commercial vs. Residential Shipping.

Postby Railsplitter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm only speculating but it might have something to do with bulk deliveries to many places of business. At my workplace the UPS driver drops off a whole bunch of packages at the same time. Sometimes as few as 10 but it's usually more like 30 or 40 packages daily from different senders.

He only has to make one stop to deliver all those packages instead of making 30 or 40 stops. Maybe that cuts down on the cost for commercial deliveries.
Rick T.
My Uncle owns a Red Barchetta.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”