Any help identifying and estimating value on this Case fixed blade?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
lwbooth

Any help identifying and estimating value on this Case fixed blade?

Post by lwbooth »

Any knowledgable input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Larry
Attachments
IMG_5193.JPG
IMG_5195.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any help identifying and estimating value on this Case fixed blade?

Post by btrwtr »

I believe this is a Case 523-6 model if in fact the blade is 6" long. Stamp and round pommel make this an earlier version made before 1965. The 5" 523-5 and 6" 523-6 are some of the most commonly found Case stag handled fixed blades and they were top sellers in the fixed blade line. The 523-6 knives are often seen for sale on eBay with prices ranging from $50 to over $200 depending on knife and sheath condition as well as variations in stamps and construction. I think your knife would be somewhere in the middle range of the prices at $150 or so.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Looks like the keeper strap is missing ? Does this affect value for this knife ?
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

kootenay joe wrote:Looks like the keeper strap is missing ? Does this affect value for this knife ?
kj
Yes, keeper strap is missing and also the sheath has a cut through the leather at the bottom opposite the cutting edge. This cut is all too common on these up swept blade hunters. If not careful inserting the blade in the sheath the blade tip can easily cut through the leather as seen on this example. The value is certainly affected by the condition of the sheath. The knife also been used and sharpened. You can see that some of the original chrome plating has been removed also affecting value.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Wayne. I do not collect Case knives but this up swept pattern with stag handles is such an attractive knife. It looks emblematic of of a 'well heeled' hunter's knife in the 1960's.
kj
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

btrwtr wrote:I believe this is a Case 523-6 model if in fact the blade is 6" long. Stamp and round pommel make this an earlier version made before 1965. The 5" 523-5 and 6" 523-6 are some of the most commonly found Case stag handled fixed blades and they were top sellers in the fixed blade line. The 523-6 knives are often seen for sale on eBay with prices ranging from $50 to over $200 depending on knife and sheath condition as well as variations in stamps and construction. I think your knife would be somewhere in the middle range of the prices at $150 or so.
Thank you Wayne, the blade is 5 3/4 inches and it has been carried and used but certainly not abused. The strap is missing and the sheath does have a cut in it, no doubt from inserting the curved blade. I appreciate the information and guidance. Best regards, Larry

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”