polishing plastic scales

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sut Tatersaul

polishing plastic scales

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I would like to clean, and polish the plastic scales on Swiss army knives, and what products to use.
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
knife7knut

Re: polishing plastic scales

Post by knife7knut »

I use Mother's Mag Wheel Polish(available in most auto supply stores)for polishing just about anything knife related from handles to blades.Use a soft cotton cloth and change the polish area frequently to avoid scratching. A light pressure is fine.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

At the auto parts stores they sell a kit to polish the plastic lens on your headlights. This should work on a plastic knife handle as well.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

knife-nut wrote:At the auto parts stores they sell a kit to polish the plastic lens on your headlights. This should work on a plastic knife handle as well.
Here is the one I used, works good.
IMG_2747.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Armeral works great on Vic's scales ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

If you have a Dremel tool, they make a rotary buffing wheel for it and Dremel makes a polishing compound. It's just so much easier to use electrons to polish/buff anything knife related ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Thanks All, for the information, I recently purchased a small S D Victorinox Swiss Army knife, from a 'shyster' on Flea-bay. The 'shyster' in his description of the knife, said that it was 'brand new', but, that it had had a 'light scuff mark'.The light scuff mark was in fact, some noticeable scratches. I want to polish them out if possible. The 'shyster' conveniently failed to show the other side of the knife that has a promotional logo on it, that might detract from the sale.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Lansky1 wrote:If you have a Dremel tool, they make a rotary buffing wheel for it and Dremel makes a rubbing compound. It's just so much easier to use electrons to polish/buff anything knife related ...
Although Dremel and similar tools are great for polishing metal I would NOT recommend using them to polish plastic. It is too easy to overheat and melt the plastic. For scratches I would recommend using some 320 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper(wet)and finish sand with 600 grit and then hand polish with Mother's. Just my opinion.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

knife7knut wrote:
Lansky1 wrote:If you have a Dremel tool, they make a rotary buffing wheel for it and Dremel makes a rubbing compound. It's just so much easier to use electrons to polish/buff anything knife related ...
Although Dremel and similar tools are great for polishing metal I would NOT recommend using them to polish plastic. It is too easy to overheat and melt the plastic. For scratches I would recommend using some 320 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper(wet)and finish sand with 600 grit and then hand polish with Mother's. Just my opinion.
I've had good luck rehabbing a couple used Case acrylic Corelon sided knives - work up the finer grits through 3000 and then finish it off on the stationary buffer - it only takes a few seconds & really brings out the gleam. I've never actually used the buffing wheels on a Dremel, but seems like an easy way to do it for those without a stationary buffing setup...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Lansky1 wrote:
knife7knut wrote:
I've had good luck rehabbing a couple used Case acrylic Corelon sided knives - work up the finer grits through 3000 and then finish it off on the stationary buffer - it only takes a few seconds & really brings out the gleam. I've never actually used the buffing wheels on a Dremel, but seems like an easy way to do it for those without a stationary buffing setup...
The problem I see with using the Dremel tool for buffing is in not being able to control the pressure on the surface as readily as using a large buffing wheel. The contact area is quite a bit smaller and there is a tendency for the small wheels to dig into the surface.With a large wheel you can rest the work on the guide and apply a light even pressure;something that is almost impossible with a Dremel.Just my opinion.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”