Knife cleaner for carbon steel?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
markpreston

Knife cleaner for carbon steel?

Post by markpreston »

Ive been using a product called EEZOX that I found in a gun store that sells a lot of antique firearms. They say its the best bare none for old blued guns and carbon steel. It was fairly cheap ( $8.00 ) so i tried a can. It smells good actually and seems to work rather well. Any ideas on this product or maybe something better for knives with lots of patina that need cleaned up?
Thanks in advance.
markpreston

Re: Knife cleaner for carbon steel?

Post by markpreston »

This is what it looks like.
Attachments
th.jpeg
th.jpeg (5.07 KiB) Viewed 930 times
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great stuff Mark!
I have posted about it a dozen times or more but usually in the knife repair forums.
It is a great cleaner and rust preventative. ::nod::
I have found it to be more effective than most of the brand name products that are supposed to control rust.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks like active ingredient is trichloroethylene- a degreaser.

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

rea1eye wrote:Looks like active ingredient is trichloroethylene- a degreaser.

Bob
Trichloroethylene (a solvent) plus also some type of unspecified esters, which could be the synthetic lubricants and rust inhibitors.

Says it goes on wet and then dries, leaving a dry lubricant/protectant film. Sounds similar to Tuf-glide, at least in that respect.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ve used it on both guns and knives. No issues at all, as a matter of fact it’s a better cleaner than most imo.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

There was gun smith here (he built high end competition target rifles) who's go too solvent was NAPA carburetor cleaner. He said it woked better than most at a fraction of the price. I have used it on alot of stuff over the years but never on a knife. I don't think it leaves a lubricating layer, but it gets things mighty clean.
Bruce
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

While back I found a product called Bit & Blade Cleaner. It works good for cleaning your drill bits, chisels, plane blades, etc. but I find it works absolutely the best for cleaning a knife blade! Sometimes when I I think I need to sharpen a knife, if I clean it with Bit & Blade Cleaner I often don't need to sharpen it!
Blade & Bit Cleaner.jpg
I use this stuff on a daily, no more like an hourly basis! This stuff is is a must-have if you use your knives much at all!
I didn't know how it would work on an old knife, so I got three old knives that I picked up the Oregon show. I cleaned the blade off with the Bit & Blade Cleaner and the blade got noticeably lighter colored and the rag got dirty.
See the before and after pictures below.
1a carbon steel knife side one Before Cleaning.jpg
1b carbon steel knife side one After Cleaning.jpg
2a carbon steel knife side two Before Cleaning.jpg
2b carbon steel knife side two after Cleaning.jpg
I use the product by spraying it on a piece of cotton rag and rubbed each side of the blade got more than 30 seconds per side. I didn't have to rub it a hard, I just let the product do the work and wiped it off. The stuff does not hurt if you get on your hands, I didn't wear gloves, though I probably should have.

You can buy it here : https://www.ptreeusa.com/shop_cleaners.htm

You can save about a buck on it if you buy it here: https://www.woodworkingshop.com/search. ... de+Cleaner

I wished I had saved the rag and showed you what it looks like after cleaning off just one side. Pay particular attention to the blade right in front of the handle, you can see some of the build up there in the before pictures but it's going to me after pictures!
What I thought was patina on both of the knives that I cleaned was actually dirt!
I'm glad I didn't use that old knife with the patina to cut a nice piece of pie or slice a roast! ::barf::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”