Remington Bowie knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
espn77

Remington Bowie knife

Post by espn77 »

Interesting knife. It looks 50's to me with a rehandle job. Who cares what the guy thinks its worth. Want to know what you fix blade guys think of the tang stamp?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3029762290
Attachments
20190115_075743.jpg
20190115_075716.jpg
Eye Brand Man

Re: Remington Bowie knife

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I say really bad fake. Stamp looks like one letter strike at a time. To me it looks like a German made bowie somebody re handled and stamped ::td::
Eye Brand Collector
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I am FAR removed from being an expert on Remington(or any other brand for that matter)knives but every Remington fixed blade I have seen(either in person or in pictures)has been a straight line stamp with an RH and then the model number.The handle looks to be made from a wax sealing stamp.I'm sure someone who is more experienced with them will comment.Also the patina(I hate that word)looks contrived to me.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
espn77

Post by espn77 »

In the 20-40's the blade profile was never used, the stamp wasn't used. So if it was earlier, that would have it made before they ever made knives. If it was later it would be after they sold out. I guess the knife just made me curious of its origin.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Isn't ILION NY spelled ILION NY and not LLION NY? There is no such place as LLION NY.

One would think that a manufacturer would know how to spell the name of the town in which they were located?

I realize we are talking about damnyankees here, but even they would at least have half a clue. :mrgreen:
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Isn't ILION NY spelled ILION NY and not LLION NY? There is no such place as LLION NY.

One would think that a manufacturer would know how to spell the name of the town in which they were located? .....
Good catch, ZZ!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Isn't ILION NY spelled ILION NY and not LLION NY? There is no such place as LLION NY.

One would think that a manufacturer would know how to spell the name of the town in which they were located?

I realize we are talking about damnyankees here, but even they would at least have half a clue. :mrgreen:
damnyankees...sounds like something a person from Florida would say. A real southerner would capitalize the D ::shrug::
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Seller is located in Oxford Mississippi. Having no idea where this knife was cobbled hard to say it has anything to do with Yankees.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

My damnyankees reference was to the folks in Ilion NY, which is where the knife was purportedly made. They would have known how to spell their own town's name.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

zzyzzogeton wrote:My damnyankees reference was to the folks in Ilion NY, which is where the knife was purportedly made. They would have known how to spell their own town's name.
Couldn't help myself when I saw you were retired Navy ::tu::
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

dweb1897 wrote:
zzyzzogeton wrote:My damnyankees reference was to the folks in Ilion NY, which is where the knife was purportedly made. They would have known how to spell their own town's name.
Couldn't help myself when I saw you were retired Navy ::tu::

To capitalize the "d" (and/or "y") in "damnyankees" would imply that one gives a hoot about them. I was probably 9 or 10 years old before I learned that, in non-Southern society, "damnyankee" was supposed to be 2 words and was considered an epithet. Growing up, I never heard the word "yankee" as a stand-alone word except in the song "Yankee Doodle". Even references to the baseball team of that name were usually "those damnyankees", but mostly by folks pulling for some team other than those "damnyankees". Many a time I heard some old farmer bitching to my dad that "those damnyankees won again."

Even in school, the old US history teacher we had frequently referred to the US Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression" or "The Carpetbaggers' War."

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”