Schrade Ad Knife G WHITFIELD RICHARDS PHILA

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Ad Knife G WHITFIELD RICHARDS PHILA

Post by knifeaholic »

This is a nice Schrade Cut. Co. stamped cattle knife, 3-5/8" closed. The oval shield on each side has G WHITFIELD RICHARD PHILA.

Interesting in that over the course of many years, I have seen dozens if not hundreds of old Schrade Cut two-blade cigar jacks on the same frame with the same advertising shield on each side. This however is the first three blade cattle.

I wonder what type of company G Whitfield Richards was (or is). I may try to google them.

Anyone else have either a two or three blade with these advertising shields?
Attachments
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5528.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
tongueriver

Re: Schrade Ad Knife G WHITFIELD RICHARDS PHILA

Post by tongueriver »

yes.
$(KGrHqN,!qUFB,qzFGhJBQlcjEw3sQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqV,!iEFBQkLEe!EBQlcjPEg1Q~~60_57.JPG
wlf

Post by wlf »

Both beauties Steve and Cal.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Two beautiful solid tools.
I've never seen that shield before.
Joe
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Steve,

The company was founded in 1902. It makes lubricants, cleaning chemicals, coolants, etc. I think it was also involved in trucking at one point (or maybe still is). Today the company is called RichardsAspex. Still located in Philadelphia.

Dennis
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Steve or Cal, doesn't that deep pick bone precede the peach seed jigging? About when were those cattle knives made?
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

black mamba wrote:Steve or Cal, doesn't that deep pick bone precede the peach seed jigging? About when were those cattle knives made?
I am inclined to say late teens to early '30s. Here is one that is known to precede 1920. It is different.
Cutco 2173001.jpg
Cutco 2173003.jpg
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Thanks, Cal.
wlf

Post by wlf »

black mamba wrote:Steve or Cal, doesn't that deep pick bone precede the peach seed jigging? About when were those cattle knives made?
This was from a friend at BFs

"I've found this scan to be a good one to show anybody who asks about Schrade bone jigging. I've discussed it with other Schrade collectors, and although we do not know for sure, we think this information is a good guess.
The pic shows 12 knives, and 4 types of jigging.
The three at upper left seem to characterize the oldest jigging Schrade used. The knives with it often have the old "arched" tang stamp.
The three knives at upper right may be from after George Schrade invented his jigging machine. I suspect that machine may have done the jigging for New York Knife Co. also, with slightly different settings!!
There seems to be a period when this "basketweave" style was tried out on the knives in the lower left. I think it was hard to maintain the pattern - notice how confused it is on the third of those three knives.
It's not as common, and I'm sure it precedes the last "Peachseed" style on the knives at lower right, which was used into the Schrade Walden period, up to sometime in the 1950s or so. I wish I could confirm some of this, but for now it is just a semi-educated guess!"
Attachments
SchradeBone2.jpg
SchradeBone3.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Much appreciated, Lyle, I'm pretty sure I recognize Charly's scans.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Yep

Lyle

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”