Cattaraugus knife ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
dunkin4gzus

Cattaraugus knife ?

Post by dunkin4gzus »

I looked all over and couldn’t find any references to this knife online. It’s a Cattaraugus, but it doesn’t have a number. It’s similar in style to the WW2 knife they made only the blade is different. There is an Indian on the sheath. It was handed down to me by my grandpa. It was in pretty ugly shape, but I was able to clean it up and give it a good edge.

Any help identifying it would be great.

Thanks
F9DD550B-CD70-4D43-B3B3-A754773CDBD5.jpeg
34BF77CB-A654-44B7-B47B-46A9F1022C15.jpeg
39534875-6F99-4B3D-BE6A-BB43C24FA39B.jpeg
4A0000AF-CCBD-46A9-A371-D7AFBE918185.jpeg
D9E2FA1F-E104-4540-AD94-D3F20FD924AC.jpeg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cattaraugus knife ?

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking knife, and since it was your grandfather's I'm sure it will be cherished. ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Looks like a pre WW2 knife made by Kinfolks for Cattaraugus. This one is a hunting knife and the only similarity with the WW2 military Catts is that it is a fixed blade with a leather washer handle. Kinfolks made all of Catt's commercially available hunting knives from 1926 until the war. Knife you have will be a very good user if you use this type of knife.
dunkin4gzus

Post by dunkin4gzus »

What is the best way to restore and sharpen these? Are they made of a hardened steel and do they hold an edge well. What is the best way to get a new sheath for it. I'm going to keep the old one, but it's falling apart and I would like something better to protect it.

Thanks. These knives certainly have an interesting past.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Do some research here on the forums. Restore means something specific. Maintaining it is easier to do and won't cause further deterioration. Oil the metal parts or use a product like Renaissance wax on everything. Ren wax doesn't hurt anything and is a good preserver. There are a few threads on sharpening a knife and they are worth reading. The blade on your knife is probably carbon steel and should take a very keen edge without much effort. Look at the forum store of a member whose board name is muskratman. He makes sheaths. You can see his work in his store.
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Knife looks quite usable as it is. Maybe a good sharpening and it will be a fine user. A little oil on the blade rubbed in once in a while will keep the rust away. (I like Hoppe's Gun Oil) Regarding sheaths, there is a company called Tandy or maybe Tandy Craft these days that is a leather hobbyist supply store. They sell knife sheath kits and you can easily make or assemble your own, stain it whatever color you like if you like to DIY. They have stores all over the country or you can go online to view their goods and order. I'm sure there are tutorials on Youtube if needed. I like DIY and have made my own sheaths since I was a kid. Not to take business away from anyone, I just like making stuff, thought others might too.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I'm not a fixed blade collector but the Cattaraugus sheaths I've seen have an Indian in full headress with the Cattaraugus name underneath. I wonder if this could be a rare Catt sheath? Or maybe a non-Catt sheath but still a uncommon one? Could it be that the sheath is the real find?

Dennis
dunkin4gzus

Post by dunkin4gzus »

Definitely not getting rid of the original sheath as it's awesome, but not in the best shape for use. I just want to use the knife itself for hunting and would like to keep it in a more sturdy sheath so I can keep this one intact.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

...the Cattaraugus sheaths I've seen have an Indian in full headdress with the Cattaraugus name underneath. I wonder if this could be a rare Catt sheath? Or maybe a non-Catt sheath but still an uncommon one?
I'd like to correct myself. I found this photo of a Cattaragus pocket knife shield in an old issue of Knife Magazine. It clearly matches the Indian on your sheath so yours is definitely a Catt sheath.

Dennis
Attachments
Catt Indian.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

deo-pa wrote:I'm not a fixed blade collector but the Cattaraugus sheaths I've seen have an Indian in full headress with the Cattaraugus name underneath. I wonder if this could be a rare Catt sheath? Or maybe a non-Catt sheath but still a uncommon one? Could it be that the sheath is the real find?

Dennis
Dennis, enlarge the photo it is marked Cattaraugus :wink:
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Miller Bro's wrote:
Dennis
Dennis, enlarge the photo it is marked Cattaraugus :wink:[/quote]

Dimitri:Where do you see it marked Cattaraugus? I enlarged it but all I see is the Indian head and the fancy edging. ::shrug::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I enhanced the photo, right above the arrow.
Attachments
F9DD550B-CD70-4D43-B3B3-A754773CDBD5.jpg
AAPK Janitor
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Nice old Catt knife, I could make you a pouch style sheath or one like the original. I would need a pattern of the complete knife on cardboard or plastic of some type. Ususally I have the knife on hand but probably could do it with some measurements. Cost would be $30 plus shipping. Email me if interested for my mailing address. ::handshake:: Terry ( have posted several of my custom knives and sheaths here on aapk.)
Attachments
DSC_2014.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Terry, $30 is not enough. Likely costs you more than half this for the leather and stitching and other supplies needed. I am not trying to mess up any potential deal here. I just want to see the skilled craftsmen who are members here be fairly compensated for their fine work. Baby will never get new shoes with such low rates.
kj
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

KJ, yes I know, I'm too cheap, my wife used to tell me that all the time. Just trying to help out a fellow knife guy. Merry Christmas Roland. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

deo-pa wrote:I'm not a fixed blade collector but the Cattaraugus sheaths I've seen have an Indian in full headress with the Cattaraugus name underneath. I wonder if this could be a rare Catt sheath? Or maybe a non-Catt sheath but still a uncommon one? Could it be that the sheath is the real find?

Dennis
Dennis, sheaths change with years as do tang or ricasso marks. In this case the sheath is the right pattern for the ricasso stamp on the knife. Note also the little design around the borders of the sheath. This border pattern is a Kinfolks pattern and will be found on other brand knives made by Kinfolks also.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Dennis, sheaths change with years as do tang or ricasso marks. In this case the sheath is the right pattern for the ricasso stamp on the knife. Note also the little design around the borders of the sheath. This border pattern is a Kinfolks pattern and will be found on other brand knives made by Kinfolks also.
Thanks Gene, you sure know your knives; seems like I always get educated by your posts. Hope to see you again in Marlboro next year.

Dennis

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”