first flight

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

first flight

Post by carrmillus »

.........on this day, 115 years ago at kitty hawk, n.c., the wright bros. made the first successful flight of a powered, heavier than air machine!!!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: first flight

Post by philco »

I have had the pleasure of visiting the place where that first flight took place. It's amazing to me to think about how far we've come since that day. I doubt there's any way those early pioneers of flight could have imagined the impact their work would have on the entire world.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........well said, phil!!!!........ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That first flight was 120'. From there to the moon in just a couple of generations. Amazing.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

philco wrote:It's amazing to me to think about how far we've come since that day.
Phil, you obviously haven't flown in coach recently! :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Quick Steel wrote:That first flight was 120'. From there to the moon in just a couple of generations. Amazing.
One of the finest museums I've ever visited is the Owls Head Transportation Museum, located in Owls Head, ME. In it is a full scale model of the plane flown by the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk in 1903. Situated next to it in the museum is a Gemini Space capsule, flown in 1963, just 60 years later.

Here's some pictures of the museum exhibits. If you look closely at the picture of the Wright brothers plane you can see the Gemini capsule behind it. What struck me as interesting at the time was the relative sizes of the two.

Owls Head is near Rockland, between Freeport and Camden. If you're ever in the area the museum is a must-see. http://owlshead.org/discover/collections The website is misleading in that the museum has thousands of automobiles, and hundreds of aircraft, motorcycles, and bicycles, but the website shows only a few examples of the collection. With a few exceptions every piece they have is fully functional, and frequently driven, flown, or ridden.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 738 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”