K-Bar will not unlock

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
mcgee10

K-Bar will not unlock

Post by mcgee10 »

I joined the forum because as much as I have looked I can't find what I'm looking for. I have a K-bar folding knife that the union I worked for gave me after 30 years, I thought I had lost it but I found it. When I open it I can't push the rear back lock down far enough to unlock the knife. This must of happened to someone else somewhere. If you have time please help me fix this. I have other knives like this one but this one is engraved for me. One more question with the blade in my K-bar fit in a Schrade LB7 I have several of those I have always loved those knives they are all 40-50 years old but many of them are like new. Thanks
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: K-Bar will not unlock

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: . Is there any way we could see some pictures of the knife?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Welcome to AAPK I know this may sound like I am a smart ass but have you tried a little oil . Sometime it works wonders. ::shrug::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Has Gary says use a lite oil on the blade pivot pin and along the backspring to the lock on both sides.Also you can use something to push down on the lock but be careful not to hurt yourself.I have seen some that you have to really depress the lock to get them to release.
Roger
mcgee10

Post by mcgee10 »

peanut740 wrote:Has Gary says use a lite oil on the blade pivot pin and along the backspring to the lock on both sides.Also you can use something to push down on the lock but be careful not to hurt yourself.I have seen some that you have to really depress the lock to get them to release.
Oil was the first thing I tried. Is there any way to loosen that lock. Is it just a piece of spring wire could I bend it a little. It's on my bench and I'm home. Pic tomorrow.
Will the K-bar blade fit in a Schrade Uncle Henry LB7 Buck like knife. I like my Schrade knives better and have a few with short blades from over use
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Have you tried to unlock it by pressing the lock bar against a hard edge like a table rather than your fingers? Definitely don't press the blade to try and open it while unlocking, press the bar as far as you can and then press the blade closed.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

peanut740 wrote:I have seen some that you have to really depress the lock to get them to release.
Me, too. :(
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

btrwtr wrote:Have you tried to unlock it by pressing the lock bar against a hard edge like a table rather than your fingers? Definitely don't press the blade to try and open it while unlocking, press the bar as far as you can and then press the blade closed.
That is what I have done, successfully. Now I carry a small table with me wherever I go. Or leave the knife at home in favor of a different one.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

IF you have access to compressed air, you might see if you can blow out the lock bar channel - sometimes pocket lint gets hung under the lock bar.

This is also assuming that the Kabar you have is a standar lock-back style knife and NOT one of the mid-70s knives where the lock rode up/down at the pommel end of the knife. The compressed air can also help clear out obstructions on those as well, but the angle of impact for the air stream is a little different.

Yes, I know a the butt end of a folding knife is not called a pommel, but I'm mainly a fixed blade guy. :mrgreen:
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Mcgee10 welcome!! I'm quite certain that the blade won't work on an LB7, the blade/lockbar relationship has to be very tight on a lockback knife, and I doubt they'd be interchangeable. Is it a more modern Kabar, or an older one?

Eric
mcgee10

Post by mcgee10 »

btrwtr wrote:Have you tried to unlock it by pressing the lock bar against a hard edge like a table rather than your fingers? Definitely don't press the blade to try and open it while unlocking, press the bar as far as you can and then press the blade closed.
So yes this works good you can feel it bind some. Will it loosen up in time.

I spend some hours last night looking are on this forum and found most of my answers to all those questions I had. I see this place has a ton of very good information.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”