Knife dipped in Bees wax

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
fullpint47

Knife dipped in Bees wax

Postby fullpint47 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Guys.
I picked up a pocket knife today completely encased in beeswax. The only thing I can make out on the knife is 3 dots on the little round disk like a smiley face. (Still learning). Can anyone tell me why it is encased? I do not want to open it if it depreciates value but also wont know the maker or anything.
Thanks in advance for the replys.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife dipped in Bees wax

Postby jerryd6818 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Good, bright, clear, in focus pictures would help us help you. Can you cut us a huss?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:14 pm

That's a new one on me. Can't imagine what purpose that would serve. ::shrug:: Can you post some pictures? I'm curious what it looks like.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby orvet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:43 pm

The only reason I can think of for dipping an entire knife in beeswax would be if you were trying to protect carbon steel from moisture and perhaps corrosion like one would find in the tropics or at sea.
You have essentially sealed the knife in its own container and it should stay untouched by moisture in salt as long as the wax coating stays intact.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain

fullpint47

Postby fullpint47 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:22 am

Here are a couple pics of the wax
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

Hope they open correctly.

rmsize

Postby rmsize » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:30 am

It looks like cosmoline to me, not beeswax. Possibaly a millitary issued knife, they covered everything in cosmoline.

1967redrider
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby 1967redrider » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:39 am

rmsize wrote:It looks like cosmoline to me, not beeswax. Possibaly a millitary issued knife, they covered everything in cosmoline.

I think you're on to something. Looks like my Mosin Nagant when I first bought it.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:12 am

Very interesting, I wouldn't open it.
AAPK Janitor

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby royal0014 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:32 am

yup ... cosmoline, or some derivative there of ...
Never seen a knife packed like that. Interesting. ....
Chris
The light in the window is a crack in the sky
A stairway to darkness in the blink of an eye

Steve Warden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Steve Warden » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 am

Miller Bro's wrote:Very interesting, I wouldn't open it.

Why not?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

espn77

Postby espn77 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm with MB, if that knife was in my collection I'd do more research to find out more on the knife and leave it in the casing. Hard to believe that knife has lasted this long and no one has unwrapped it. Very cool piece to display. It probably isn't a highly valuable knife once unwrapped but the way it is.....find another one. I like it. ::tu::

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby glennbad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Miller Bro's wrote:Very interesting, I wouldn't open it.

I also agree with Dimitri. It's an interesting piece, much like finding a knife new in the package.

Steve Warden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Steve Warden » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 pm

espn77 wrote:I'm with MB, if that knife was in my collection I'd do more research to find out more on the knife and leave it in the casing. Hard to believe that knife has lasted this long and no one has unwrapped it. Very cool piece to display. It probably isn't a highly valuable knife once unwrapped but the way it is.....find another one. I like it. ::tu::

And there's the difference between a collector and an accumulator! :D
I'm an accumulator; I use what I get. I also collect toy GTOs (my first car was a '67 LeMans, the GTO wanna-be). They've all been taken out of their packaging and put on display. That's just me and how I like it. Nothing that I collect, correction, accumulate, will ever become an investment for me to retire with, so I enjoy 'em for the time I have 'em.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Steve Warden wrote:
espn77 wrote:I'm with MB, if that knife was in my collection I'd do more research to find out more on the knife and leave it in the casing. Hard to believe that knife has lasted this long and no one has unwrapped it. Very cool piece to display. It probably isn't a highly valuable knife once unwrapped but the way it is.....find another one. I like it. ::tu::

And there's the difference between a collector and an accumulator! :D
I'm an accumulator; I use what I get. I also collect toy GTOs (my first car was a '67 LeMans, the GTO wanna-be). They've all been taken out of their packaging and put on display. That's just me and how I like it. Nothing that I collect, correction, accumulate, will ever become an investment for me to retire with, so I enjoy 'em for the time I have 'em.

I’m w/ Steve on this one. How will you know what you have unless you take it out? I would think that cosmoline will be hard to get off of that knife.
Plus you can always reseal it after you get it cleaned and ready for show. Even 100 year old knives aren’t so delicate that you can’t handle them, I don’t see the harm in seeing what is underneath.
We want to see pictures when you get it done, if you do it.
SSk

djknife13
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby djknife13 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm

I found a black handled Korean era Schrade Auto still packed in cosmoline with the cord attached. I cleaned off the knife and enjoyed being the first to actually touch the knife since it was stored when new. It has still never been snapped open, just gently eased open and is stored in a safe environment. I've never regretted cleaning off the cosmoline. ____Dave

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”