Hawk Head Bowie Knife

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Kquick

Hawk Head Bowie Knife

Postby Kquick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm

I found this awesome Mexican Bowie knife in my dad's tools the other day. He passed 10 years ago, so I was looking for some more information about the knife. And is there a way I can clean it even though is has etching on both sides? Its a beauty and I want to bring back it's shine.
Attachments
1539117872042304321077727364627.jpg
1539117914278930206985102858496.jpg

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hawk Head Bowie Knife

Postby Mumbleypeg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Interesting old knife. I don't know of a way to clean it without removing the blade etch, except to try soaking it overnight or longer in oil to loosen the rust, then rub vigorously with a soft cloth. That should remove any loose rust. Anything remaining try the "lead" (graphite) end of a pencil. Selectively use it aggressively on the rust area, then rub the pencil marks off with the cloth. Try to avoid the etch unless it has a rusted area. When you're finished wipe down the metal with a cloth dampened with a light oil. Mineral oil shouldn't damage the handles but try to keep other oils off the handle (can't tell from your pictures what the handle is made from.)

More aggressive techniques like fine grit sandpaper will damage the etch.

Someone else here may have other ideas. Here's some info on the subject from older threads that may be helpful viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45848&start=30#p498156
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45848&start=90#p600780

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

doglegg
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby doglegg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 pm

Be sure and show us an after picture Kquick. and welcome aboard. ::nod:: ::tu::

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Postby Paladin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 pm

I believe those are horn handles.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

woodwalker

Postby woodwalker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Kquick wrote:I found this awesome Mexican Bowie knife in my dad's tools the other day. He passed 10 years ago, so I was looking for some more information about the knife. And is there a way I can clean it even though is has etching on both sides? Its a beauty and I want to bring back it's shine.

Cool old knife!! :)

deo-pa
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby deo-pa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Welcome Kquick! ::welcome::

I think the inscription is a Spanish saying or proverb "Camarón que se orilla se lo lleva la corriente" which I think translates roughly as "Shrimp that sleep by the shore get washed out by the tide." In other words, if you get distracted (or asleep) you will be left behind. Or put another way, "If you snooze you lose."

Maybe in the context of a knife the proverb has the connotation of "always keep your knife ready for action." Just a thought.

Dennis

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:15 am

Think we lost Kquick. His profile looks like he hasn't logged in again since he made the post. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

Kquick

Postby Kquick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Greetings, all.

I appreciate y'all taking time to respond to my post; each one proved informative and useful. I'm ecstatic Dennis provided a translation of the inscription -- something I've been determined to find. Following Ken's words of wisdom, cleaning this beaut commences this weekend (pictures to follow, of course).
::ds::
Cheers,
Quick

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”