Commander

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Commander

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a 3 3/8" 2 blade swell end jack that is marked "Commander" on the master tang. I think the handles are a man made substance, possibly celluloid ?
Who made Commander knives and were they a premium knife or an entry level line ? This is the only knife with this marking i have seen.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5172.JPG
IMGP5173.JPG
IMGP5174.JPG
IMGP5175.JPG
IMGP5175.JPG (67.72 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Commander

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Goins' says "COMMANDER c 1891-1928 A trademark used by M. Klaas"

He also shows a stamping "COMMANDER LITTLE VALLEY, N.Y. c 1891-1928 A trademark used by M. Klaas. The knife seen was probably made by Cattaraugus Cutlery for Klaas"

If you look up "M. Klaas" it says "Max Klaas was an importer, in New York City."

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ken. This looks like a USA knife, not German and i doubt it was imported. The Cattaraugus mention might apply to this knife. Did Catt. make this pattern ? However the knife does not have "LITTLE VALLEY, N.Y.".
kj
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I think Max Klass was one of the Kissing Crane Klass's so It could be made by Kissing Crane.
Bruce
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

It looks like either an Imperial or a Colonial. I have a single example with jigged black handles and I put it to bed with my Colonials. The shield and oddly clipped off master spear indicates either Imperial or Colonial to me. Both Colonial and Imperial made quality knives in the '20's and '30's.

JMO
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

thank you ms. "Commander" would have been a contract knife not a house brand, correct. There seem to be very few around.
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

msteele6 wrote:It looks like either an Imperial or a Colonial. I have a single example with jigged black handles and I put it to bed with my Colonials. The shield and oddly clipped off master spear indicates either Imperial or Colonial to me. Both Colonial and Imperial made quality knives in the '20's and '30's.

JMO
I agree...Imperial. 1920's era. I have seen a number of COMMANDER stamped knives over the years and each one appeared based on tooling and handle material to have been made by Imperial when they made their quality solid-bolster knives. Many have had jigged black composition handles.

I know that Goins says Little Valley. May be true, but I have never seen one that was actually stamped Little Valley.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K., now we know the maker. But who were they made for ? and where were they sold ? or were they corporate gifts to be given to clients ?
Likely to have been a short lived venture because it is rare to see a "Commander" knife.
kj
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I think I use to own that very knife ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I bought this from "Paul" a collector in Florida and formerly was active in AAPK. Perhaps Paul got the knife from you ?
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”