Need Help with This Spyderco

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
User avatar
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 7893
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby Paladin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:48 pm

I am a long ways from knowing much about tacticles so I am asking for help in getting a proper description on this Spyderco.
I would like to list it accurately in my store and I can't even determine the pattern number or name. I think it is a Para Military and it is all stainless. Length is 4¾ inches. Blade is AUS-6 and I am pretty sure my box is not correct. I suspect this is an older knife.
I will appreciate any info on this one.

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_2233.JPG
1-IMG_2234.JPG
1-IMG_2235.JPG
1-IMG_2236.JPG
1-IMG_2237.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 2459
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK
Contact:

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 pm

That looks to be an older delica or endura model to me. That's all I know.
-Paul T.

Nice keen kutter bone stockman for trade
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=57985&p=666533#p666533

I am always looking for GEC 81 stockmans and a GEC 33 whittler.

User avatar
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 7893
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby Paladin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks KS,, The number on the box is C10PBK, so maybe the box is correct... A search indicates this number may go to an Endura.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 am
Location: The Crossroads of America

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby edge213 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Paladin wrote:I am a long ways from knowing much about tacticles so I am asking for help in getting a proper description on this Spyderco.
I would like to list it accurately in my store and I can't even determine the pattern number or name. I think it is a Para Military and it is all stainless. Length is 4¾ inches. Blade is AUS-6 and I am pretty sure my box is not correct. I suspect this is an older knife.
I will appreciate any info on this one.

Ray

It is not an Endura or Delica. I think it is the Police model.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

User avatar
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 7893
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby Paladin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:04 am

edge213 wrote:
Paladin wrote:I am a long ways from knowing much about tacticles so I am asking for help in getting a proper description on this Spyderco.
I would like to list it accurately in my store and I can't even determine the pattern number or name. I think it is a Para Military and it is all stainless. Length is 4¾ inches. Blade is AUS-6 and I am pretty sure my box is not correct. I suspect this is an older knife.
I will appreciate any info on this one.

Ray

It is not an Endura or Delica. I think it is the Police model.

Edge,
I went to the site and checked the Police Model. It has some sort of extreme swedge at the tip of the blade that this knife does not have.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 am
Location: The Crossroads of America

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby edge213 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:24 am

Well fellas, I guess I don't know the answer.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 2459
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK
Contact:

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:19 am

Ray, I checked the number (C10PBK) that you said was on the box and came up with the endura. The closed length is also much closer to the endura- 4 3/4" for yours vs 5" for the current production endura. If they measure a 1/4" different that can probably be attributed to the evolution the pattern has gone through as it's now in its 4th iteration. Is the blade 3 3/4"?

The police model is much larger and also has a police etch on the blade (for the stainless handle version), so this is not that model. Looking at the pictures in more depth it appears too small to be a delica, so I will stick with it's an endura.
-Paul T.

Nice keen kutter bone stockman for trade
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=57985&p=666533#p666533

I am always looking for GEC 81 stockmans and a GEC 33 whittler.

User avatar
TwoFlowersLuggage
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 pm
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby TwoFlowersLuggage » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:59 am

On Spyderco knives, the C10 is the model number for the Endura. Of course, as you say the box might not be correct for that knife, but the blade grind, Aus-6 and handle look like the generation 2 Endura to me. "PBK" would normally mean "plain" and "black" - meaning a non-serrated blade and black FRN handles. Since yours is a stainless handle, I think it should be a C10P (2000-2006) or if it is an early Gen-2, then maybe a C47P (1997-1999).
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... e_Endura_2

The handle of the Endura 2 is slightly shorter than the later generations (4.812").
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... ss-Steel/4

Of course, the other option is that it is a fake Endura...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 7893
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby Paladin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:56 am

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:,,,,,, Is the blade 3 3/4"?

The police model is much larger and also has a police etch on the blade (for the stainless handle version), so this is not that model. Looking at the pictures in more depth it appears too small to be a delica, so I will stick with it's an endura.

The blade measures 4 inches from the tip to the corner of the tang. Closed measurement is a double checked 4 7/8th inches rather than the earlier quoted 4¾ inches.
I hadn't really thought about the possibility of a fake but I guess that is something to ponder......
And Edge, I wasn't trying to step on your toes as I really appreciate everyone's input.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

User avatar
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 7893
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby Paladin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:14 pm

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:On Spyderco knives, the C10 is the model number for the Endura. Of course, as you say the box might not be correct for that knife, but the blade grind, Aus-6 and handle look like the generation 2 Endura to me. "PBK" would normally mean "plain" and "black" - meaning a non-serrated blade and black FRN handles. Since yours is a stainless handle, I think it should be a C10P (2000-2006) or if it is an early Gen-2, then maybe a C47P (1997-1999).
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... e_Endura_2

The handle of the Endura 2 is slightly shorter than the later generations (4.812").
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... ss-Steel/4

Of course, the other option is that it is a fake Endura...

I looked around those sites and I was about ready to pronounce it to be an Endura 2 but the measurements on blade don't fit unless they measure from the tip to some different place than I measured to. Good site for my educational purposes, BTW.
Thanks again for all the help on this.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 am
Location: The Crossroads of America

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby edge213 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Paladin wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:,,,,,, Is the blade 3 3/4"?

The police model is much larger and also has a police etch on the blade (for the stainless handle version), so this is not that model. Looking at the pictures in more depth it appears too small to be a delica, so I will stick with it's an endura.

The blade measures 4 inches from the tip to the corner of the tang. Closed measurement is a double checked 4 7/8th inches rather than the earlier quoted 4¾ inches.
I hadn't really thought about the possibility of a fake but I guess that is something to ponder......
And Edge, I wasn't trying to step on your toes as I really appreciate everyone's input.

Ray

No problem Ray. I guess I really don't know what I was talking about. I should have researched instead of going from my bad memory. I own several Sydercos and I couldn't remember ever seeing a metal handled Endura.
My apologies to all. Thanks for the education.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

User avatar
tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 3669
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby tongueriver » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:11 pm

"I am a long ways from knowing much about tacticles..."
Ray, don't you need a spey blade for those? :lol:

User avatar
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 7893
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby Paladin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:08 pm

tongueriver wrote:"I am a long ways from knowing much about tacticles..."
Ray, don't you need a spey blade for those? :lol:

The defense rests! :lol: :lol:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

User avatar
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 6249
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby Colonel26 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Mr. Ray, I carry a Spyderco everyday, great knives. But I don’t know diddly about the various patterns. But I do know that Spyderco is VERY helpful with these types of questions. If you contact them you can talk to a real person who’ll give you their email address and let you send pictures to them for evaluation. They’ll tell you for sure the model and if it is a fake or not. Spyderco is perhaps the most faked knife brand out there.

I had to do that once with a knife I swore was real that needed some fixing. They looked it over, shoes me exactly why it was a fake, and made me a VERY good deal on the real one.

Contact them, they’ll give you a difinitive answer.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

User avatar
TwoFlowersLuggage
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 pm
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Need Help with This Spyderco

Postby TwoFlowersLuggage » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Ray - in my (limited) experience, measurements can be very tricky on modern knives - especially blade length. Companies do not all measure from the same point. Some measure blade tip to the top of the bolster, some to the center of the pivot and some to the start of the choil. It wouldn't surprise me if there was someone using the overall length of the blade steel!

But, you are absolutely right to be suspect - Spyderco has made A LOT of very similar knives. I certainly can't keep them all straight and I freely admit that I could be dead wrong!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett


Return to “Knife Related Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Lms5089, MT-Vessel, Papas-toybox and 34 guests