PETERS BROTHERS LATE 1800S EXHIBITION KNIFE

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Adamsblades

PETERS BROTHERS LATE 1800S EXHIBITION KNIFE

Postby Adamsblades » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 pm

HI IM ADAM, CAN ANYONE TAKE A STAB, PUN INTENDED[/image][/image][/image] HOW YOU GENTLERMEN MIGHT VALUE THIS KNIFE AS COLLECTORS ITS HAS PETERS BROTHERS I THINK A MULTI TOOL OR EXHIBITION KNIFE LATE 1800S STOLIGEN GERMANY.
Attachments
IMG_20180515_142854.jpg
PETERS BROS LATE 1800S
0515181013d.jpg
PETERS BROS LATE 1800S

whitebuffalo58
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: PETERS BROTHERS LATE 1800S EXHIBITION KNIFE

Postby whitebuffalo58 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi Adam, welcome to AAPK. Can't help with value, not in an area I'm familiar with. Book says 1876-1886, so probably not many of them around. Cool old folder, but what I find fascinating is that it seems to have every tool any gentleman would ever need, except an actually cutting blade. Is there one tucked away in there somewhere, just not showing?

Again welcome to AAPK, hopefully somebody will be along that can help with more info,

WB

Adamsblades

Postby Adamsblades » Wed May 16, 2018 10:08 pm

I THINK IT BROKE OFF AT SUM POINT AFTER 1876 A COUPLE OF THEM ARE MISSING INFORMATION IS REALLY HARD WITH PETERS BROTHERS,, WHOM EVER KNOWS THIS COMPANY AT ANY LEVEL OF SUBSTANCE,,,IS IN THE BASEMENT AND TRUST ME I DONT THINK THE PHONE RINGS THERE ,, MAYBE BI ANNUALLY BUT ONE OF THOSE CALLS WAS OPERATOR ERROR BY THE SWITHCHBOARD SECRETARY,,,(:

knife7knut

Postby knife7knut » Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 pm

I have a couple of Peters Brothers knives(on one they even misspelled their name PETIRS)and they also have broken blades. I consider those to be in relic condition. Looks like yours is missing the corkscrew and the spring for the scissors as well.Next to impossible to find a replacement blade and even harder to find someone to attempt to pull apart a pearl handled knife(too easy to break the pearl).I'd leave it as is.
Attachments
PetersBros.CelebratedCutleryWhittler1 001.jpg
PetersBrothers(Petirs)CutleryCo4BladeTuxedo1 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu May 17, 2018 4:31 pm

You ask how we would evaluate this knife as a collectible. I collect vintage German knives but i would not collect this one. The condition is poor: master blade missing, no scissor spring and likely other 'issues' as well.
The maker, Gebruder Peters, is not well known and knives with this branding are rarely seen so i doubt there are people who specifically collect this brand. Simply being rare does not equate to being valuable.
On ebay it might bring $30-$40. The majority of collectors would not bid.
kj

deo-pa
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby deo-pa » Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Can you imagine what a beauty this was when new? It would have been a spectacular piece. I agree with kj's assessment but if I could see more photos I might well buy it. Yes the condition is poor but I would not be able to afford it in excellent condition. If I had this one it would not be in a drawer or safe but I would display it on a shelf as a conversation piece. A great example of the cutler's art that unfortunately has seen better days.

If you want to sell it Adam click on my name/handle and send me an email or PM.

Dennis

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”