S&M Exec.Jack Burnt Stag Bolsters not nickel silver

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bone collector

S&M Exec.Jack Burnt Stag Bolsters not nickel silver

Post by bone collector »

I recently purchased a Shatt & Morgan exec. jack with burnt stag scales. Discovered the bolsters are magnetic. Nickel silver is not attracted to a magnet. The blade is supposed to be ATS 34 stainless steel. The back of the blade is stamped Q DFC USA carbon. I purchased this knife from a trusted seller, Clarence Risner (traditionalpocketknives.com) I am wondering if DFC dumped some junk on his distributors before slamming the doors on Queen. Anyone else have issues DFC Shatt&Morgans?
bdev

Re: S&M Exec.Jack Burnt Stag Bolsters not nickel silver

Post by bdev »

I've noticed that Risners descriptions are not always accurate. I've seen errors in size. I'm assuming there could also be errors in steel type.

Almost forgot....welcome to the forum. ::welcome::

BTW....is this the one you bought?
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... tStag1of50
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
bone collector

Post by bone collector »

Thanx, Bdev..I'm a big fan of Queen cutlery...10 knives. But this S&M isn't right.
bone collector

Post by bone collector »

That is the one..notice the description says 1 of 50? Mine says 1 0f 25. Go figure.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I got this Burnt Stag Executive Jack from C. Risner. Tang stamp shows ATS-34; but, notice that the shield on mine has a pin right in the center.
P4200005.JPG
P4200001.JPG
P4200003.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

QTCut5 wrote:I got this Burnt Stag Executive Jack from C. Risner. Tang stamp shows ATS-34; but, notice that the shield on mine has a pin right in the center.

P4200005.JPGP4200001.JPGP4200003.JPG

~Q~
Say what!? How did the shield fall out if it was pinned? Please tell me this isn't what I think it is.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
bdev

Post by bdev »

I bought this one last night (before I saw your post). Not an Executive Jack but I'm curious as to what I'll be receiving as far as quality. Not expecting much since Risner lowered the price to 40 bucks. I'll post about it after I receive it.

https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... ellyWalnut

Getting back to bone collectors original post. Yes, there have been problems with the DFC knives. There are many post on the forum about quality control. It's hit or miss with knives made within the last 3 years.

I would return that knife to Risner for a full refund since it is not as advertised. Or, do an exchange for a different knife.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Regarding the particular Executive Jack bone collector purchased: I think you might have a genuine "end of days" knife there. What do you suspect the bolsters are made of? I'd have to think long and hard before choosing ATS-34 over carbon for a working knife, but I suspect you wanted more of a display or safe queen when you bought the knife. It can't hurt to ask Risner if he can swap it out for a "standard" knife, can it? Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

As for Bruno's comment, and knowing his level of experience with Queen overall, I'll have to respectfully disagree. While Queen did suffer more QC issues than usual in recent years, I think we were starting to see an upswing in that department before they decided to close up shop. The "red zone" for Queens in my experience was 2011-2015, and the Daniels took over I believe in 2014. The 2016 and 2017 Queens I have handled have largely been high-quality, and IMO over that two year span they easily outpaced Case in quality control (for a while I was shipping knives to Case for warranty repair or swapping more often than I'd receive knives to feed my addiction ::smirk:: ), another cutler I thoroughly like who doesn't seem to get the same level of grief for their QC issues.

Personally I'm going to miss Queen, and in the end I think we'll find that their QC issues were similar to those suffered by other once-great cutlers like Camillus and Schrade as they started running ito financial difficulties and ultimately closed up shop.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Railsplitter wrote:Say what!? How did the shield fall out if it was pinned? Please tell me this isn't what I think it is.
How, indeed? I'm not sure what you think it is, Rick, but apparently the shield wasn't properly soldered to the pin because it fell off the instant I took it out of the box. Very disappointing on a $100+ knife. But, I chose to keep it anyway (for personal reasons) instead of returning it.

~Q~

~Q~
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Could the shield have an integrated post that goes into place? It almost looks like that pin was sheared off judging from some slight variations in the reflected light. It looks way too big for the usual pin used on pinned shields.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

QTCut5 wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:Say what!? How did the shield fall out if it was pinned? Please tell me this isn't what I think it is.
How, indeed? I'm not sure what you think it is, Rick, but apparently the shield wasn't properly soldered to the pin because it fell off the instant I took it out of the box. Very disappointing on a $100+ knife. But, I chose to keep it anyway (for personal reasons) instead of returning it.

~Q~
I couldn't help thinking the worst. When I replied it looked like they had pressed a pin into the liner to make the shield appear to be pinned and then glued the shield on instead. Thought it might have been an act of deceit. After giving it more thought I no longer think that's the case but that's what I thought when I replied.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:Could the shield have an integrated post that goes into place? It almost looks like that pin was sheared off judging from some slight variations in the reflected light. It looks way too big for the usual pin used on pinned shields.
Hmmm, interesting theory. I just assumed it was a bad soldering job, but now that you mention it, the underlying pin does seem awfully big compared to the pins I have seen used on other knife shields. So, I really don't know. Maybe Rick's "worst case scenario" isn't so far-fetched after all. ::shrug::

~Q~

~Q~
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The other possibility I was mulling around, which I discarded fairly quickly, was that someone had peened or used a punch on the imperfections into the top of that pin, but it didn't make sense because that would leave it flush with the carved-out surface of the bone and then you'd have to glue the shield anyway. Perhaps it's a combination of these things: Regular "to be glued" shield with a post soldered on the back to be glued or maybe secured to the liner through a tab of some sort? Though I'd expect that to be a "patent pending" process at the very least and not something innovated by desperate cutlers trying to keep the doors open... It's hard to imagine how such a large, flattened pin would end up centered under a shield that was allegedly pinned.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I had one of those executive jack wharnies in elk horn - horrible snap, way off center blade when closed. That was yet another in the chapter of S&M's that disappointed me and didn't even live up to what I've grown to expect from late model modern era Case's ... and that particular one is a big reason why I don't own any S&M's.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”