Quanah Parker rifle

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Quanah Parker rifle

Post by terryl308 »

Hey history buffs, thought I would share this with you, especially Texas and Oklahoma residents. When I worked at Cabela's in Sidney, Ne. we bought an estate firearms collection and this gun was one of many historically interesting finds. the story goes, that this rifle was given to the Comanche chief Quanah Parker by President Teddy Roosevelt for a wolf/coyote hunt that he guided for back in the early 1900's at the Ft. Sill Ok reservation or on Quanah's ranch. As you can see it is a 1894 saddle ring carbine (the saddle ring stud has been cut off) well used and there is a leather thong under the butt stock. For you that don't know, Quanah Parker had a white mother, Cynthia Ann Parker , who was captured by the Comanche's at an early age and remained with the tribe and finally married one of them and they had 3 children, one being Quanah Parker. The history of him is in a book called "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne. I just finished it and it is a good one, if you like old west history. (Available on Amazon.) The rifle has been sold and someone from Houston Tx bought it. I wish I had bought it myself but didn't quite have enough cash at the time! Anyway I got to hold a piece of history for a short time, before I had to ship it off. ::handshake:: Terry EDIT some dates, the wolf hunt was in 1905, Quanah Parker died in 1911. His house was located in Cache, Ok or near there.
Attachments
guns  & jonjon3rd 001.jpg
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Steve Warden

Re: Quanah Parker rifle

Post by Steve Warden »

Very cool!
Thanks for sharing!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Terry, that is a fabulous piece of history. My wife an avid Quanah Parker fan. Probably has 10 or 12 book on him. We were fortunate enough to visit his old house up in Cashe OK and even got to be friends with two of his grand children before they passed on. Been to his grave at Fort Sill. Thanks for sharing that bit of history.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I agree with what Steve posted! ::tu::
Do you remember what caliber that one is?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

TF, sorry forgot to mention that is was marked 30 WCF or 30/30 . ::tu:: Terry
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool rifle and history! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

My Dad was born in Oklahoma, and raised in Borger, TX. I spent quite bit of time up there as well as in Canyon, TX close to Palo Duro canyon when I was young. I always found the history of that area fascinating. And I agree "Empire of the Summer Moon" is an excellent book, and have recommended it to several friends.

I believe they are in the process of making it into a movie, with Ridley Scott producing....

https://letterboxd.com/film/empire-of-the-summer-moon/

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/dere ... mmer-moon/
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Now that is plumb cool. What an awesome piece of history, and a fine firearm to boot!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
BWT

Post by BWT »

That is what makes aapk,AAPK, always something interesting to read ::tu:: ::tu::
Nice story Terry, thanks for sharing.
Bill
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Some years ago a Quanah Parker tribute rifle was offered by subscription; a Henry's .44-40.

Dennis
Attachments
QP Rifle.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great story Terry, thanks for sharing it, and the picture. And you're right about the book. Great read. Thoroughly researched and balanced history, and by no means a politically correct whitewash of Comanche depredations and brutality of the warrior culture.

I'm really skeptical about what Hollywierd will do to it though.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Terry,it looks like an old Henry rifle on the table next to you in the picture.Must to have been some nice guns in that collection.Thanks for the story.
Roger
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Roger, Good eye! Yes it is a factory engraved Henry came in the same collection along with a Remington cap and ball revolver that was used by a guy by the name of Dan Vaughn who rode with Quantrill Raders who burned down Larence Ks. It had been reblued at some time. But still a good piece of American history. Terry
Attachments
guns  & jonjon3rd 003.jpg
guns  & jonjon3rd 008.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Good stuff Terry. Thanks for sharing the pics and story with us. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Terry, that must have been a dream job for a gun guy. I don't think I would have been able to bring much of my paycheck home - having spent it all on guns. :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wow Terry, what great old historic rifles. Thanks for sharing. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

terryl308 wrote:Roger, Good eye! Yes it is a factory engraved Henry came in the same collection along with a Remington cap and ball revolver that was used by a guy by the name of Dan Vaughn who rode with Quantrill Raders who burned down Larence Ks. It had been reblued at some time. But still a good piece of American history. Terry
..terry, is that an "original" civil war HENRY that shoots the rimfire cartridge or one of the new .44-40 caliber reproductions???......... ::tu:: ..........
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

It is a rare original factory engraved and shoots a 44 cal Henry rimfire. It was worth about $20,000 if my memory serves me right. ::handshake:: Terry
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

terryl308 wrote:It is a rare original factory engraved and shoots a 44 cal Henry rimfire. It was worth about $20,000 if my memory serves me right. ::handshake:: Terry
......I read somewhere that the one they gave pres. Lincoln which is in the Smithsonian is the most valuable antique gun in existence!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ................

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”