What is this?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
cody6268

What is this?

Post by cody6268 »

I just bought a lot for the Normark/EKA serrated fillet knife on the left. However, a burning question I've had is what in the center, wood handled knife is. In fact, my curiosity behind that knife in part, drove me to purchase the lot. The seller wanted $35, I used the best offer option to get it for $25, because they'd had it listed for a while. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a glazier's or leather work knife.

This is the seller's photo. There is what appears to be a stamp on the blade, and I'm hoping cleaning it up might make it more visible.
s-l1600_E_K_L1.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is this?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dimitri will know. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It's a wallpaper hangers knife.
AAPK Janitor
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Miller Bro's wrote:It's a wallpaper hangers knife.

Thanks. I did some digging and found what looks to have been an old catalog illustration of the exact knife (including the same positioning of the stamp. It seems to be hinting at "Late 1800s" for manufacture, making it possibly the oldest knife I've got. Who the heck was "Union Warranted"? Any relation to Union Cutlery/Ka-Bar?

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

cody6268 wrote:Who the heck was "Union Warranted"?
Union Cutlery Co. Warranted: c1887-1888. The Square Knot Trademark is stamped on the back of the tangs. (Goins).

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote:I just bought a lot for the Normark/EKA serrated fillet knife on the left. However, a burning question I've had is what in the center, wood handled knife is. In fact, my curiosity behind that knife in part, drove me to purchase the lot. The seller wanted $35, I used the best offer option to get it for $25, because they'd had it listed for a while. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a glazier's or leather work knife.

This is the seller's photo. There is what appears to be a stamp on the blade, and I'm hoping cleaning it up might make it more visible.

s-l1600_E_K_L1.jpg
The bottom knife looks identical to a Kutmaster paring knife I have. The handles are an orange celluloid or some type of early plastic. Mine is a salesman's sample.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”