Any Idea What This Is?

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Any Idea What This Is?

Postby QTCut5 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 pm

My wife discovered this bizarre little 4-plastic-blade thing-a-ma-bob in a box of her late father's belongings. I've never seen anything like it and have no idea what it's purpose is. Anybody know?

P2130033.JPG
P2130040.JPG
P2130035.JPG
P2130037.JPG

~Q~
Deshil eamus.

Caseman601225

Re: Any Idea What This Is?

Postby Caseman601225 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 pm

I haven't a clue, but I can't wait to find out.

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Old Folder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 pm

::shrug::
It appears to be precisely hand made.
Tortoiseshell sewing implement perhaps?
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby edge213 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Caseman601225 wrote:I haven't a clue, but I can't wait to find out.

What he said.
Are the blade steel?
David
Research says ladders in the home are more dangerous than firearms, so I keep 20 firearms in case some idiot tries to sneak in a ladder!

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Postby TwoFlowersLuggage » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm

What sort of activities was the guy into when he was younger - like in the 1950s & 60s?

The two semi-circular notches on the one arm are very curious. I'm sure that's a clue of some sort... ::hmm::

When I first saw it, I thought it might have something to do with creating circles and then being able to bisect those circles with lines through their midpoint. But that's not correct because the width of each arm would mean those lines would NOT go through the midpoint of the circle.

Do the arms swing 360 degrees, or only 180?

I'm thinking you are headed for an Antiques Roadshow... :D
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 am

It's a folding toothpick, the tips should be much sharper and look worn down from use. In case one broke you had several others to use, they could be resharpened very easily as they are made of natural horn. The one blade has been nibbled on by dermestid beetle larvae. The white pieces of handles are smooth bone, hard to say from the pictures but I believe the colored ones are bone too that have been dyed.

These are seen with ivory blades as well and tortoise shell handles, later ones had plastic blades and handles.
AAPK Janitor #3350

knife7knut

Postby knife7knut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 am

Dimitri beat me to it! I have a couple of them in bone and ivory and two with pearl handles.Those have in addition to silver toothpicks what looks like an ear spoon and manicure blades.
Attachments
Toothpicks1.JPG
Toothpicks2.JPG
Toothpicks3.JPG
Toothpicks4.JPG
Toothpicks5.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby QTCut5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 am

Miller Bro's wrote:It's a folding toothpick, the tips should be much sharper and look worn down from use. In case one broke you had several others to use, they could be resharpened very easily as they are made of natural horn. The one blade has been nibbled on by dermestid beetle larvae. The white pieces of handles are smooth bone, hard to say from the pictures but I believe the colored ones are bone too that have been dyed.

These are seen with ivory blades as well and tortoise shell handles, later ones had plastic blades and handles.

Why, of course! Now that I know what it is, it's so obvious. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the most obvious things right before our eyes. Thank you, brother Miller Bro's for opening my eyes.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. I explained to my wife what it is and she said, "OK, what're you going to do with it?"

I said I figured I'd clean it up, sharpen up the picks and EDC it...great little item since I'm a huge fan of toothpicks. And she said, "Really? Do you want me to go look in the box for my father's old toothbrush as well?" ::barf::

I see it as a tool, like a good hammer or screwdriver that is well-made and made to last and be used for many years or generations, just like a good pocketknife. But, my wife feels it's much too "personal" of a personal hygiene item to be used by someone other than the original owner.

What say ye, my brethren? Who's right, me or my wife?

~Q~
Deshil eamus.

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Postby TwoFlowersLuggage » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 am

Any day I learn something new is a darn good day!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby QTCut5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 am

knife7knut wrote:Dimitri beat me to it! I have a couple of them in bone and ivory and two with pearl handles.Those have in addition to silver toothpicks what looks like an ear spoon and manicure blades.

K7K, thank you for the further enlightenment and photos. So glad to hear from you because I was hoping to show and ask you about this other knife that belonged to my father in law...seems like something you probably have in your collection or will have seen and/or know something about.

P2130023.JPG
P2130025.JPG
P2130026.JPG
P2130027.JPG
P2130032.JPG
P2130031.JPG
P2130030.JPG

~Q~
Deshil eamus.

LanG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby LanG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:04 am

QTCut5 wrote:
Miller Bro's wrote:It's a folding toothpick, the tips should be much sharper and look worn down from use. In case one broke you had several others to use, they could be resharpened very easily as they are made of natural horn. The one blade has been nibbled on by dermestid beetle larvae. The white pieces of handles are smooth bone, hard to say from the pictures but I believe the colored ones are bone too that have been dyed.

Why, of course! Now that I know what it is, it's so obvious. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the most obvious things right before our eyes. Thank you, brother Miller Bro's for opening my eyes.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. I explained my wife what it is and she said, "OK, what're you going to do with it?"

I said I figured I'd clean it up, sharpen up the picks and EDC it...great little item since I'm a huge fan of toothpicks. And she said, "Really? Do you want me to go look in the box for my father's old toothbrush as well?" ::barf::

I see it as a tool, like a good hammer or screwdriver that is well-made and made to last and be used for many years or generations, just like a good pocketknife. But, my wife feels it's much too "personal" of a personal hygiene item to be used by someone other than the original owner.

What say ye, my brethren? Who's right, me or my wife?

~Q~

Trick question, right?
Lan

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby QTCut5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:13 am

Seems like a fairly straightforward "yes or no" question:
Would you use it if it once belonged to and had been used by your FIL (or any other person...or a dermestid beetle larvae)?
(It's the answer that's the tricky part!)

~Q~
Deshil eamus.

Railsplitter
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 am

I've smoked a couple of my Grandfather's pipes after cleaning them up. I don't see anything wrong with using the toothpicks except that the wife is always right.
Rick T.

LanG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby LanG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 am

Sorry, I was trying to be clever. (The wife is always right :oops: ) I wouldn't use it in my mouth. I might use it to clear pocket lint out of other knives.
Lan

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby QTCut5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:23 am

LanG wrote:Sorry, I was trying to be clever.

I got it. ::handshake::

~Q~
Deshil eamus.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”