Knife scales material

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Sut Tatersaul

Knife scales material

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I have been looking at Case Cheetah knives, with bone, and antler scales. It will probably be my last knife buy, at 86 years of age. I'v asked this question on another post, but, it got lost in the shuffle. There is such a variety of them in scales of bone and antler material, such as, burnt stag, bone stag, jigged bone, burnt bone, caramel bone, and , rootbeer bone. My question is, what type of scales are considered the most desirable for the money, and why? I would value the opinions of you more knowledgeable folks.

Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
XX Case XX

Re: Knife scales material

Post by XX Case XX »

Well Sut, that's a tough question to answer. Different people like different things so it all comes down to what appeals to someone. Some folks like Red Bone, some like the dark Chestnut Bone. Others like well matched Stag.

If this is possibly going to be your last "Collector Grade" knife, my only suggestion would be to make certain you like it, and it better be a darn good looking knife.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think Mike is right. "Most desirable for the money" is a subjective thing, and also varies from time to time depending on what collectors think is "cool" at the moment.

But history and time have been kind to genuine stag. In the long run whether it's called burnt stag, sambar stag, red stag, or whatever, stag has retained its popularity and thus its value.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:It will probably be my last knife buy, at 86 years of age.

Sut Tatersaul
::rotflol::

Yeah, right. Well if you expect to be taken seriously on this one, how about one of the Tony Bose collaboration knives. They run in the $300-$400 range and from what I hear are a splendid knife.

No offense intended. To hear a knife guy of any age say this is going to be my last purchase, strikes my funny bone.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Hi Sut.
I don't buy knives for investment purposes, but that's me.
I buy what I like the looks of. That makes it more valuable if to no one else but me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think a beautiful and well-made knife is always a highly sought after knife. Now, it is also true that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." So, at the end of the day, don't buy what you think *I* might like at some day in the future. Buy what *you* like right now. If you think a purple plastic knife with nekkid ladies painted on the side in glitter is the most beautiful knife you have ever seen, then darn it - buy it! ::tu::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:............. If you think a purple plastic knife with nekkid ladies painted on the side in glitter is the most beautiful knife you have ever seen, then darn it - buy it! ::tu::

Just where could a feller get one of those ? :mrgreen:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TwoFlowersLuggage

I could post a link, but we were told to "keep it clean"... :D
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Everyone is going to have there own opinion but mine is hands down ::tu:: , "Sambar Stag".
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Let's get back to the purple knife.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
TwoFlowersLuggage

OK, since I can tell you guys aren't going to be satisfied until I'm perma-banned, I'll post you a picture of just one example I found on the internet - but I'm going to make it a bit more "family friendly"...
Master Collection Spring Assisted Folding Knife Mermaid L Blue Tail MC-A013LB 3.jpg
Poor Sut - his thread didn't deserve this...
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I'd be standing in line to buy that if there was glitter...what is this you're trying to pull...the old bait and switch....where's the glitter???? ::shrug::
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
TwoFlowersLuggage

There's a 2-drink minimum before you get to see the glitter...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”