Northwoods

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
XX Case XX
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Northwoods

Postby XX Case XX » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:31 pm

I have a stupid question. Why do some Northwoods Knives have the name inscribed on the main blade and some don't? I have the Red Northwoods knife in the first photo but it doesn't have the name on the blade like the second picture. Does anyone know why that is? (Photos from KSF Website)

Northwoods Banner.jpg
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Northwoods

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 pm

I don't know, but I sure like that sowbelly.
-Paul T.

I need a sheath for a schrade H-15.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=54807

Ken Coats and other knives FTOS here
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=54723

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby peanut740 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Made by different companies.
Roger

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:35 pm

The Sowbelly Stock knife was made when Dave Shirley owned the brand (2008 and earlier). He had Queen make Northwoods and would have specified how he wanted the blade marked. From 2009 to present Derrick Bohn owns the Northwoods brand and he has GEC make most of them. Derrick would have specified how he wanted the blade marked.
kj

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Seems like that appears on the GEC made knives with a sabre ground blade.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

XX Case XX
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby XX Case XX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

kootenay joe wrote:The Sowbelly Stock knife was made when Dave Shirley owned the brand (2008 and earlier). He had Queen make Northwoods and would have specified how he wanted the blade marked. From 2009 to present Derrick Bohn owns the Northwoods brand and he has GEC make most of them. Derrick would have specified how he wanted the blade marked.
kj

Roland, would that fact make this knife "less desirable" than other Northwoods that have the blade inscription? I'm more of a "Case" guy so I'm trying to learn more about the Northwoods brand.

XX Case XX
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby XX Case XX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 am

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I don't know, but I sure like that sowbelly.

Thanks Paul. It's my one and only Northwoods knife.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby philco » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:21 am

XX Case XX wrote:I have a stupid question.

___________Mike

No you don't. You have a perfectly reasonable question. There are no stupid questions. There are, however, stupid answers. :mrgreen:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Our knives are more than metal and bone;
They're about who we are and the people we've known.

ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby ken98k » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 am

XX Case XX wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:The Sowbelly Stock knife was made when Dave Shirley owned the brand (2008 and earlier). He had Queen make Northwoods and would have specified how he wanted the blade marked. From 2009 to present Derrick Bohn owns the Northwoods brand and he has GEC make most of them. Derrick would have specified how he wanted the blade marked.
kj

Roland, would that fact make this knife "less desirable" than other Northwoods that have the blade inscription? I'm more of a "Case" guy so I'm trying to learn more about the Northwoods brand.

It may be more desirable to Northwood collectors that don't have that model.

Railsplitter
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 am

I might be in the minority (or not) but for me personally, it would be more desirable because it was made while the founder of Northwoods still owned the brand and was still with us.

I like the Sowbelly pattern too so that plays a part in it for me also.
Rick T.

RalphAlsip
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 am

Nobody has told me why the blades are marked the way they are and sometimes I put 2 + 2 together and get 3...

But my observation is the single blade knives in 1095 steel get the Northwoods mark on the blade by the long pull and the multi-blade knives get the tang marks.

My opinion is the type of blade mark is just a personal preference that doesn't have much of an impact on desirability.
Attachments
Northwoods Willamette Whittler Mammoth #3 small.jpg
Northwoods (GEC) Willamette Whittler mammoth
Northwoods Burnside Camel #3 small.jpg
Northwoods (GEC) Burnside Jack camel

XX Case XX
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby XX Case XX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 am

RalphAlsip wrote:But my observation is the single blade knives in 1095 steel get the Northwoods mark on the blade by the long pull and the multi-blade knives get the tang marks.

Now that brings up another question: Why does the tang stamp on your Whittler have the same font as the blade inscription, but my knife's tang stamp is plain block lettering? This is confusing.

RalphAlsip
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 am

I think the "font" of the tang mark probably starts bringing the age and who made it factors into play. Here is another picture of an older knife from the Dave Shirley era that was probably made by Queen. This knife is more comparable to your Sowbelly -
Note the shapes of the blades.
Attachments
Northwoods Stag Stockman #3 small.jpg
Northwoods (Queen) Stockman stag

XX Case XX
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby XX Case XX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 am

RalphAlsip wrote:I think the "font" of the tang mark probably starts bringing the age and who made it factors into play. Here is another picture of an older knife from the Dave Shirley era that was probably made by Queen. This knife is more comparable to your Sowbelly -
Note the shapes of the blades.

Now that makes sense. I can definitely see the resemblance between my knife blades and this one. Thank you for that image, it helps a lot. ::tu::

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 am

You are putting too much emphasis on the markings. They are of no significance except to ID the knife as a Northwoods. When the brand owner decides to have a new Northwoods made he will discuss all the options with the manufacturer and decide what he wants. Included in this is the style & location of the Northwoods marking. Having knives marked on the tang and these markings not being identical on all Northwoods is not a surprise. Stamping dies wear out and get replaced. The new die might have a different font. None of this matters to collectibility. People buy what they like and exactly how the knife is marked is not of interest to most.
Markings & font are important in vintage knives where there is a risk of fakes.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”