Schrade 3rd generation

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KnifeSlinger#81

Schrade 3rd generation

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

What is the story behind the 3rd generation knives schrade made? I've never paid any attention or research to them.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade 3rd generation

Post by jerryd6818 »

First I've heard of them.
zSC82-40.jpg
Attachments
capture-20171122-083713.png
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

They came out in 1983 and only sold for a couple of years probably due to poor sales. Of the 7 knives in the series 3 of them are built on the same frames as the missing Uncle Henry's - the 641/LB4, 648/892 and 627/707. The missing Uncle Henry's came first. The smaller ones - 627, 627SS and 628 are really too small to be useful but I think the others are great medium sized knives. I have a few:
3rd7.jpg
3rdmissing.jpg
3rddr.jpg
3rdall.jpg
3rdroll.jpg
- Jason
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I asked that very question a while back. viewtopic.php?f=64&t=49754&hilit=schrade

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

The Third Generation Knives were a set that were designed by a group of guys at Schrade during the 1983-1984 Time Frame. Two of those guys are my Uncles. The Knives didn't really take off as they are considered small and could get lost in your pocket....LOL

The Missing Uncle Henry's However, same knife frames with Uncle Henry Staglon are very elusive knives. They are the following:

LB-4 same as the C641
892UH same as the C648
707 UH Same as the C627

I have also posted a photo, outside the Schrade Factory (When it was on Canal Street) of the Guys responsible for the 3RD Generation Knives to include the Missing Uncle Henry's. The gentlemen in the photos are:

Top Left to Right: Harold Buley, George Eck, Norman Zelinski, Russell Gray and Rolf Owe
Bottom Left to Right: Barry Buley, Danny Jones and Rob Brown

These folks are your 3RD Generation Makers! Harold and Barry being my Uncles.

Tom
Attachments
3RD Generation Photo.JPG
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Thank you all for the replies.

Jxr that's a fine collection you have ::tu::

Tom I really enjoy seeing the faces of the people that were behind my favorite knife company, thank you for sharing.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That is so neat ! Those guys are old gents now. Time flies ever faster.
Harold Buley designed and built 100 folding drop point hunters for CSC around 2006-7. I have one which had a little blade play. I kept it for years and finally sent it back to CSC. Harold had retired but he came in to tune up my knife. Not a hint of any play now, it is Fixed Blade solid when open. I have been grateful to Mr. Buley ever since.
kj
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Paul thanks for the kind words. The 3rd Generation knives were my introduction to Schrade with my first being bought new back in '83. The rest came decades later.

Tom thank you for that great insight! It's very cool getting a peek behind the curtain and seeing the guys behind the name.

- Jason
- Jason
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Funny story here....Schrade really was a family oriented company.

Barry Buley was the youngest of the Buley's. He ran Quality Control and the Custom Shop
Harold Buley was his older brother, and he was in the Custom Shop working for Barry
My Mom was their sister, and the oldest of all three and she worked for her younger brother Barry in the Quality Control Shop

Not many companies today where you would have siblings working for siblings unless it is a small owned business. They each had 37 years or more with Schrade.

Just thought I would share that little bit of family history with Schrade.

Tom
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Chase wrote:I have also posted a photo, outside the Schrade Factory (When it was on Canal Street) of the Guys responsible for the 3RD Generation Knives to include the Missing Uncle Henry's.
Thank you for posting that photograph. I'm sure it's very personal to you and that makes it even more special that you would share that with us. That's a great bit of history right there. ::handshake::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Mike,

You are very right...it is very personal to me and yet it is all part of the Schrade History. I am very proud of the influences my family had while working at Schrade.

Tom

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”