Pepper Spots/Spider Webs

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
XX Case XX

Pepper Spots/Spider Webs

Post by XX Case XX »

Why are pepper spots & spider webs so hard to get rid of? They don't seem to be on the surface and it's as if they "grow" from within the metal. Is there any method to be used besides removing the metal that surrounds it?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Pepper Spots/Spider Webs

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I think it's because they have pitted the metal and go beyond the surface. The only good way I know of to remove it is to grind down metal. If you were to remove it using liquid rust type stuff (that turns rust to gel that wipes off) you would likely be left with an ugly looking pit where the rust was.

Of course you could probably buff it too, but I'm not a fan of that method.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Scrape the bottoms out with a knife point or heavy needle. Treat with your favorite rust preventative and live with the results.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

An old school trick for restoring pitted motorcycle parts is to rub lead over pitted areas.
The lead will sort of catch, and snag into jagged "pits" filling them in, and a tongue depressor or similar makes a good burnishing tool to fair it out, and clean up the surrounding areas.
I haven't used this on knife steel yet but it is in my plans to, and I see no reason that knife steel is any different than chrome steel, as far as catching, and holding the lead.
It's not a complete repair of the area but it does a great job esthetically, and most of the time lasts longer than the machine.
Attachments
Bar_Solder_Half_Det.jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
just bob

Post by just bob »

I knew I had saw this before;

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50012&hilit=spider
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Firstly liberally oil the rust or pit area with a good penetrating oil and let set for a bit. Then take a new Stanley utility blade or razor blade and carefully scrape away the surface rust while keeping the blade well lubricated. Clean off the grime and oil and take a sharp pencil and rub the lead forcefully and briskly to remove the rust. The lead has more structural integrity than the rust but less than the steel, thus will not hurt the rest of the blade. Wipe down and repeat as necessary. Finally clean with semi chrome or another polishing paste until the desired result is obtained. You may still have pitting I the blade but it will be much cleaner and polished. By this method you can keep most of the original finish on an otherwise mint knife. It also works well around etches if you're careful.
KNFCOLLECTOR
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks for that info knfcollector

Return to “General Knife Discussion”