NOVCO?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
KleenCut61

NOVCO?

Post by KleenCut61 »

NOVCO , U.S.A. Canton ,Ohio < Any Info ? Know were to be Found online , Anyone With A Goins Master ? Knife Had Gassed, Handles Have to go , But then again I Haven't the foggiest idea What this Knife Was Offered in , Measures Approx 3 9/16 , Whittler 3 Blade , W/ Pen And Spey Blade w Halfstop.!! Thank You Joe
Attachments
100_1584.JPG
100_1567.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: NOVCO?

Post by XX Case XX »

1917-1948. Used by Novelty Cutlery, Canton, Ohio.

N.C. CO. Canton O. 1879-1948. Used by Novelty Cutlery, Canton Ohio.

Founded in 1879 by Augusts Vignos. Lost right arm in Civil War. Farmer, Janitor, Postmaster of Canton. Novelty became famous for "transplant-handled" knives which were invented by Henry and Reuben Landis also of Canton.

Cutlery was at 67 Bar Street in 1910, later moving to 515 McGregor Avenue in 1928. Vignos died in 1925 and the firm passed to son Alfred. Stopped making knives in 1948. (Information from Goins).

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Goins says was a mark used by Novelty Cutlery of Canton, Ohio, 1917 - 1948.
Dan
Dan
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Thank You Mike & Dan: ::tu:: Any Opinion As to the Value Or Collectability Of Novelty Knife Company Pocket Knives , Quite the challenge as to What to do with it with the Celluloids , Its such a Unique & Nice Piece!! Thank You Joe
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

KleenCut61 wrote:Thank You Mike & Dan: ::tu:: Any Opinion As to the Value Or Collectability Of Novelty Knife Company Pocket Knives , Quite the challenge as to What to do with it with the Celluloids , Its such a Unique & Nice Piece!! Thank You Joe
I would do a search on eBay of past sales of that brand of knife. That could give you some idea. It's not a common brand so it might be kind of tough. As far as the handles, if they are true celluloid and they have gassed, get rid of them immediately. The outgassing will ruin that knife from the inside out.

If you leave them on there, you won't have ANY knife to speak of. Better to remove the handles no matter how nice they appear to be and save the rest of that knife. There are plenty of mechanics on this site that can re-handle that knife for you and they all do a good job. Some might even re-handle your knife on a "trade" basis. It will no longer be 100% authentic, but you'll have a very nice knife.

KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Thank You Mike ::handshake:: Ill do Like You Say . Then Proceed With A Plan of Action , ( Getting Images of Pearl Handles now ::nod:: )Cheers_____ Joe
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

KleenCut61 wrote:Thank You Mike ::handshake:: Ill do Like You Say . Then Proceed With A Plan of Action , ( Getting Images of Pearl Handles now ::nod:: )Cheers_____ Joe
Joe:

Here's a good place to start. You can get an idea of what's out there including prices and go from there.http://www.knifehandles.com/

_______
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Again Thank You Mike... ::tu:: : After some carefull Thought ::dang:: I Realize these Handles are Transparent !! Lol , Just what he's famous for . So Iam Going To Pass the Buck and Offer it Up For Sale or Trade .. There Ya have it .. spent an Hour Looking at Pearl slabs Grade B No Less ,, Oh Well .. You Help me Identify My Knife and Made up my Mind The same Time .. You Guys are Good,, P.S. Got My Copy Of GOINS in Da Mail Today ::paranoid:: ________ Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The NOVCO knives are well made decent knives but they do not sell for much money on ebay. If handles look perfect, might sell as high as $40, rarely higher. I think most collectors avoid them because they know handles will at some point offgas.
kj
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

I Really Like The Darn Thing , Hate to see it die miserably~~ I am poppin The Plastic .. ______ Joe ::tu:: ::tu::
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

That was Painless , Peeled -em Right Off :o
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

I Could Not resist, Nice Hey!! ::ds::
Attachments
honey_amber_stag_bone_medium__1_1.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The OP doesn't appear to be outgassing. Not all celluloid outgasses. I would keep an eye on one like that and not take off the handles until or if it does.

I have some very old celluloids that show NO sign of outgassing. But as said, if it starts to outgas remove handles immediately.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Not all celluloid outgasses."
Celluloid is an unstable compound. As far as i know all celluloid has the same chemical formula. There is no stable celluloid, only celluloid that has yet to outgas. How long can it last ? At least 100 years because there are 100 yr old knives with intact celluloid handles. More time is needed to see how long celluloid can last.
I am not a chemist. What i say is what i have read. If celluloid was made in more than just the one chemical formula, then some could potentially be stable. However i believe all celluloid has the same chemical formula and it is unstable.
kj
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Yes Gentleman, Although I Don't Know the Real circumstance for the Knife Off Gassing , The Scales Did Yet look Mint , Colored the Blades with A Stained Brownish Looking Rusty Oxide Right Down to The Top of Scales .. Fortunate for me It was a Recent Event !! And a Rush on my part to corrected it . I was skeptical as to why and when a celluloid will gas , Or Whether or not its like a natural event , Then they just go dormant for another 50 years or so , Don't Know , I do Know you will not like the Resulting Damages to your knife Should they decide to Mt Saint Helens on You .. This Knife Was Repaired upon Confirmation of Gassing and Scales were Trashed A Day or to Later At Max ______ Joe
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

P.s. I Have Celluloid Handles on Some That Are Irreplaceable , Yet I no This and The Celluloid in them Seems to Now This And All is Well ( Karma ) ::tu:: ______- Joe

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”