Case from Germany

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Case from Germany

Post by Paladin »

Guys,
In my last batch of stuff I got this Case single blade lockback that was made in Germany. I have no problem with that but I cannot reconcile the tang stamp. Photo below. It doesn't match up with any of the examples shown in the AAPK research section.
Was it made in 1999 ? Anyone got any info on this? Is it considered rare?

Ray
EDIT: I checked on knifedb.net and discovered that in the pattern number DE 171501 L, the 1st 1 is the key to the age, 2001 and that the wood is Thuya, which is a part of the cypress family.
Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_9146.JPG
1-IMG_9147.JPG
1-IMG_9148.JPG
1-IMG_9149.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case from Germany

Post by hardman »

Those are, in fact, Case knives made in Germany by Boker. That was a special contract and market test by Case. I have one of the same pattern with Green Bone handles, and I know it was made in 2001.

They made a number of different patterns, including a pretty cool two blade Folding Hunter with a saw, and even some fixed blades. Somewhere in this AAPK Knife Forum there is a thread with an image of an advirtisement for these special knives and it lists all of the patterns.

These seem to be favored by Case collectors and often sell for pretty high prices. The two blade folding hunter with saw blade has sold recently for over $350. I don't think the "market test" went much beyond 2001.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Case from Germany

Post by Paladin »

hardman wrote:Those are, in fact, Case knives made in Germany by Boker. That was a special contract and market test by Case. I have one of the same pattern with Green Bone handles, and I know it was made in 2001.

They made a number of different patterns, including a pretty cool two blade Folding Hunter with a saw, and even some fixed blades. Somewhere in this AAPK Knife Forum there is a thread with an image of an advirtisement for these special knives and it lists all of the patterns.

These seem to be favored by Case collectors and often sell for pretty high prices. The two blade folding hunter with saw blade has sold recently for over $350. I don't think the "market test" went much beyond 2001.
Thanks, Hardman. I knew the tang stamp favored the one used in the 1990s but it is a little different as regards placement of the XX.

Appreciate the help,
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”