Remington R173 with question marks

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Tsar Bomba

Remington R173 with question marks

Post by Tsar Bomba »

So I've got something here which has me wondering. I don't have many old Remingtons but I do have this big teardrop jack which seems to be at least partially legitimate. First, the pics:
36557274503_587c5ce1c8_b.jpg
37179857006_97b7b1fcab_b.jpg
Now, my concerns:
  • Most descriptions and photos of the knife call it a teardrop jack, but there is almost a dogleg shape to this particular frame. It is especially noticeable when you look at the knife with the pen blade open and the spear blade closed. I've never seen a "dogleg teardrop" and I suspect this knife could have been cut down or somehow warped over time (if it is, in fact, as old as it purports to be).
  • I've never seen a Remington with undyed white bone handles, full stop. The surface of the bone isn't like most knives from the era; it's fairly rough but not sawcut/jigged/textured. Almost like it's unfinished, but not uncut/unhewn. I don't believe these to be the original handles, nor am I able to find any evidence that the R173 ever shipped without a shield in any material.
  • The spear blade looks legitimate for the knife, but the shape of the tang and the profile of the spine of the pen blade seem "off" somehow compared to the photos of legitimate R173s that I've seen in my research. I'm not sure how else to describe this, but it could indicate that the pen was replaced or taken from another knife.
  • Not pictured, but there is some unevenness between the bolsters. From what I have seen, Remington was fairly good about the F&F of their bolsters. This seems almost amateurish, although I don't know if the quality improved towards the end near the PAL sellout or if they were consistent about it.
So, fellow AAPK readers: Just how legitimate is this knife? Is it a real, rehandled Remington? Is it cobbled? End of days? Or is it an outright fake with (what I presume to be) a legitimate master blade? Any input from our esteemed Remington collectors will be welcome. ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
espn77

Re: Remington R173 with question marks

Post by espn77 »

Tony, I agree with all your concerns about your knife. I highly doubt this knife originally left the factory with no shield, these handles and probably not in the frame. We are only as knowledgeable on knives as what we have been exposed to and I've never seen this style bone on another Remington, I've not seen the frame either. The blade is definately a R173. IMHO, that's all that is Remington. I could very easily be proven wrong. Here is my R173 along with a R33 the has the lightest color bone in my collection.
Attachments
20170921_154949.jpg
20170921_155007.jpg
20170921_155654.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Thanks for posting the photos and for sharing your knowledge -- that's a really nice knife! And I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. The blade seems legit. The frame shape may or may not superimpose over yours, I won't know until I get home where I can put your pic up on my six-screen and really manipulate it to see if I can get a good overlay. The pins are right on the frame, which means it might be a legitimate R173 frame with some damage or modifications, and I was always positive it was a rehandle. There are some differences in the bolsters between your knife and this one which makes me wonder if they were also replaced during a total rebuild of an R173.

The upside of this knife is that it looks and feels good in hand, both blades hold wicked sharp edges (I haven't even put the pen blade to stone but it'll cut to the bone right now, I imagine) and even with the 'fake' handles and bolsters it is a nice-looking big jack. Plus a little bit of 3-in-1 and some elbow grease brought the snap right back to the pen blade -- I'm still working on the big master's closing snap but it's getting there, and it snaps open hard (big spring on the master, this is a substantial knife).

Oh well, this will still make a great member of the EDC rotation. I've got it with me in the LFP as I type this out. :mrgreen:
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Remington steal will hold a great, very sharp edge. So regardless of frame and handles it's a good edc.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Keith, your R173 is a gorgeous knife. The large spear blade is fantastic.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Jerry. That is one big spear blade they put on the R173. Definitely unique

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”