Schrade- 51ot

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Schrade- 51ot

Post by Schradenut »

The Schrade 51ot is one of my favorite model. They are great to look at, wear a hole in your pocket and are great to display some of the more exciting covers that are around these days.
According to my learned friend Dale Vincent, the 51ot was produced from 1978~1981, and were made with 1095 high carbon steel.

Schrade changed from HC steel to Schrade+ steel in about 1973, way before the +S steel was used, so why didn't they start with Schrade+ steel from the get-go with the 51ot?

Did Schrade make any blades in Schrade+ Stainless steel?
Tony. ::shrug:: ::hmm::
montemojo

Re: Schrade- 51ot

Post by montemojo »

Interesting question tony, the 3ot, 5ot, 93ot, and the 98ot have stainless blades. Until I noticed this I was under the assumption that the Schrade OT's were all carbon steel. Hopefully someone that can explain this will come along and give us their input. By the way it seems that I'm always sewing up holes in my pockets.

Monte
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I love that pattern also, and I have some, including one in heffalump ivory by Dxxxx. I think that you will find that some of these without the "plus" sign in their tang stamps are stainless, anyhow (likewise with the 858OT).
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Many thanks for your input Monte and Cal.
I have always had my suspicions that the 51ot was + stainless. Herman Williams commented to me that the 51ot was as hard to file as any of the Schrade+ blades. He advised that the difference was considerable.
I seem to remember from this Forum before, that blade steel's weren't as advised specially during the transition period.
Tony.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am not understanding this thread. OP asks: "Did Schrade make any blades in Schrade+ Stainless steel ? "
The blades in Uncle Henry knives are Schrade+, but i am sure we all know this. Some of the OT folders marked as "Schrade" (i.e. no "+" sign) have stainless steel blades.
What am i failing to understand in OP post ?
kj
edit to add: there is no "858OT", there is an "858".
Although the 858 has Old Timer handles & shield it was named just "858" some of which are marked "Schrade" and others as "Schrade+".
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote: There is no "858OT"; there is an "858". Although the 858 has Old Timer handles & shield it was named just "858" some of which are marked "Schrade" and others as "Schrade+".
The 858OT Lumberjack was introduced in the 1978 catalog specifically as an Old Timer and continued to be listed in subsequent catalogs as an Old Timer, with an Old Timer shield and covers, as you say, but with no "OT" in the tang stamp.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin, the 858 is listed with the Old Timers but it is referred to as "858" not "858OT" in the catalogs (unless my recent memory is shot !)
Regardless of semantics it is an Old Timer and one of my favorites too. I have a few of them if ya needs one ("+" or no "+")
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I believe the first year they made it was carbon, then they switched to stainless for the rest of its production. This is taken from the '85 catalog. I love this honkin' pattern :D
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Man, this is bad news ! My head, the remembering part, is shot. From now on i will look up the topic immediately before typing a post. No more of checking something the day before i post.
Sorry for screwing up this thread. I need a head transplant.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Relax KJ, it is called old timer's...
It has nothing to do with pocket knives! ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Don't ask me how I know. ::facepalm::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

orvet wrote:Relax KJ, it is called old timer's... It has nothing to do with pocket knives! ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: Don't ask me how I know. ::facepalm::
I know that I have earned my OT shield. So far they have not used Swinden construction on me.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thanks for the input everybody, I learned something. Ok, so if an OT knife doesn't have a plus sign doesnt mean it has carbon steel blades. So here I go again the more I learn the more confused I get. Hmmm, I' ll be thinking about this and looking at my OT's for a while. KJ dont sweat it I make mistakes everyday. As well, I learn something everyday too.

Monte
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

It is good to see some of the "big hitters" have assembled on this thread and sorted it out for me. It was quite confusing and explains why Herman was having so much trouble filing it.
As with others, i have learnt from this. Thank you.
Tony.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I remember someone, Dale I believe, posting in this forum that you could tell if a blade was high carbon or stainless by using a bluing pen. If the blade is stainless the bluing won't mark it. If the blade isn't marked with a + sign, seems like this would be a good way to find out. A little dot back of the kick would be darn hard to see.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

dweb1897 wrote:I remember someone, Dale I believe, posting in this forum that you could tell if a blade was high carbon or stainless by using a bluing pen. If the blade is stainless the bluing won't mark it. If the blade isn't marked with a + sign, seems like this would be a good way to find out. A little dot back of the kick would be darn hard to see.
That is good advice, Doug. I went to the hardware store and found what I believe to be that product (I think by Birchwood Casey), but it was so expensive I went and bought some pistol ammo instead.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:That is good advice, Doug. I went to the hardware store and found what I believe to be that product (I think by Birchwood Casey), but it was so expensive I went and bought some pistol ammo instead.
Well who can blame you.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Cal, I went out and did a little plinking yesterday...I always re-check the sights and scopes in the spring..had a good time and didn't get rained on. Here's a pic of one of my favorite pistols.
RUGER REDHAWK 45LC - HERMAN WILLIAMS BOWIE.JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice double action. Is it a Ruger Redhawk? Dang; that Schrade bowie is one good-sized fingernail picker. Looks like Herman put some nice panties on it.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Cal, yep it's a Redhawk in 45LC...had to scope or red dot my handguns thanks to these darn bifocals..That Bowie is the first full custom that Herman did for me back in 2014...he put re-handled this Sam Colt Bowie with rolled Elk and file worked the top of the blade for #100. :D
SAMUEL COLT BOWIE with ELK HORN (1).jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”