Remington Heroism Authentic Recreation

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Remington Heroism Authentic Recreation

Post by bestgear »

Those of you that have been chronicling my journey from last year (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49779&hilit=heroism) know that the Knife God blessed me with an original Remington RS3333 Heroism Knife ending a lifelong search. This is the rest of the story. In April 2015, I decided to create a tribute, a memorial, an authentic recreation to the 3 knives that I believed that Remington had made for the Boy Scout Program. I was armed with all the research and discoveries that I had made through the years but still I knew that on a few fronts, I was making a leap of faith. And so, the journey began.

I realized that I didn't have any duplicate RS3333's in my collection so step one was to acquire reasonable specimens for the project. I didn't want beaters but I also didn't want NOS as I believed that the Scouts that would have been awarded these knives would have used them. The acquisition process took a few months but eventually I had the specimens that were needed for the project.

Next came producing the Acorn Heroism shields. I first contacted Ken Griffey at Bear & Sons to see if he had any leftover blanks from the 2009 Remington RS3333 Replica project and he said he couldn’t help me out. I then found Buckeye Engraving in Knife Magazine who worked with me tirelessly to design, blueprint and develop 2 hardened steel stamps that with the help of 20 tons of hydraulic pressure would create the mark and pile side shields in 0.032” 11% nickel silver plate. They kindly gave me enough sample shields for the prototype and the 3 finished knives.

In November 2015, a friend of mine in Toronto got involved in the project and volunteered to create a prototype and share his feedback before the build of the 3 would commence. By day he’s a Senior Vice President at the Bank of Montreal and by night a world class Remington collector and very good with his hands in the workshop. We learned a lot from building a prototype that went into building the 3 finished knives and he now is the proud owner of the prototype.

In February 2016, our own Bob P (Elvis) was commissioned to build the 3 finished knives. Bob and I spent a few months chatting about the project, communicating information gained from building the prototypes and creating a project plan to build the authentic recreations. Due to some health setbacks, Bob felt it was best to find another artisan to handle the detail work and around June of last year we got Dale V. (Orvet) involved in the project (thankfully since then Bob's health has improved significantly). The plan was for Bob to handle what he could (disassembly, clean, polish and reassemble) and for Dale to install the mark and pile side shields. Around July of last year Bob completed his fine work and the knives were shipped to Dale.

One might ask, why did it take 9 months to finish the project from this point. The simple answer is that with 85+ year old original bone, you take your time and the results are incredible (at least I think so). I told Dale that I had no specific timeline to get them finished but when the original showed up in September of last year, I kind of set my sights on unveiling all 4 knives at the 2017 OKCA show (but that didn’t work out for me this year). Dale had completed 2 of the 3 before the OKCA show and wrapped up the third this past weekend, almost 2 full years to the day.

I have since built a shadow box for the original knife which will now be unveiled at the 2017 BSA National Jamboree at The Summit in West Virginia and the 3 Authentic Recreation knives will be there too. It’s been quite a journey with mostly up and only a few downs but in the end, I would do it all over again if given the chance. Upon inspecting the knives after they arrived today I found a small discrete “B.P.” engraved on the brass liners and I got choked-up. While we here know it’s our own Elvis who put it there, it made me think of Baden Powell and how his legacy to youth has been paid forward in a small way. I’m very blessed tonight but will sleep like a baby knowing the friends I have made through this project.

So that's the rest of the story........or is it? Stay tuned, there might be more! :)
Attachments
Buckeye Hydraulic Stamp.jpg
Buckeye Heroism Stamp and Blanks.jpg
Remington Authentic Recreation Finished 1.jpg
Remington Authentic Recreation Finished 2.jpg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Remington Heroism Authentic Recreation

Post by philco »

Tom thanks for sharing this with us. I greatly admire the determination and effort you have poured into this project. I also commend the fine craftsmen you enlisted. They have produced some amazing recreations of the rarest of rare Boy Scout knives. Congratulations on the completion of a labor of love. ::handshake::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Outstanding work by all and a worthy project. As an old Scouting volunteer and former scout, I can only say, I am stunned and amazed. All involved should be congratulated.

Tom, I believe this project is worthy of another Knife Magazine article, a follow-up to your previous one, to get the project exposure to a larger audience.

Thank you to all of you. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Great story! I'm staying tuned!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Absolutely amazingly beautiful work by all. I was a cub scout as was my son, my wife was a den mother, and my grandson is a eagle scout of which I'm very proud. Thanks for sharing the story and for doing the project, its a great testament to a great organizations. ::tu:: ::handshake::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow, wow, wow! Amazing dedication on your part, Tom, I commend you.

As to the knives, you could not have had 2 better gentlemen involved than Bob and Dale.

Just beautiful work!!!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for the very kind comments Phil, Ken, Wayne, BH and Glenn. It was one of those projects that kept taking turns when I thought we were going straight and went straight when I thought we were in a turn. There are at least 2 more chapters of this project to be written that are in various stages of being ready for prime-time. I'm still amazed how one small idea could lead to such greatness. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and the journey.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

They look really good Tom! ::nod::
It was my honor to be involved with this project. Thank you for the opportunity! ::handshake::

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Absolutely amazing! WOW!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow is about the only thing I can think to say. Wonderful old knives, top notch folks involved, great out come. Wow! Thanks for sharing.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::tu:: Very nice to say the least! I especially like the jig bone. I have a Buckeye Engraving stamp that I have used for 12 years or so with my logo on it. I stamp all my custom made blades with it, great people to work with. Your creation took a while but I'm sure it is worth every second of the wait! Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks Scott, Wade and Terry - I genuinely appreciate your commentary. If you haven't had the chance to work with either Bob or Dale I would highly recommend doing so - they are both truly artisans, gentlemen and visionaries. ::nod::

Sean at Buckeye is a great guy to work with. He was 100% with this project from the beginning and I highly recommend them if you are need of their services.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Tom what an incredible journey and story! My hat is off to you Bob, Dale, Buckeye Engraving and your friend in Toronto for bringing this labor of love to fruition. I second what Ken said this story should be publicized in Knife Magazine for a greater audience to be amazed by. I have followed this story, your story, about this Scout Heroism knife with great interest and fascination and thank you for sharing it here on AAPK ::nod:: All the best as this tale further evolves and plays out in the months ahead. Lloyd
Lloyd
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

::tu:: ::tu:: Way too cool, BG. Excellent work Bob and Dale ::tu:: ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this!
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

A most excellent job by everyone involved. I agree a great story for knife magazine and could be featued in an article for Boys Life as well.

Much appreciation
Monte
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Congrats to all! Great story!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks Lloyd, TJ, Jody, Ray and Monte - The posting I referenced in the first post to this thread has been written up for Knife Magazine and is scheduled to be published in the July edition. The Boy's Life idea is a great one that I will begin exploring next week. Your sentiments are heartwarming and inspiring to find a new project. Thank you! ::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Return to “General Knife Discussion”