Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Post Reply
Captain O

Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by Captain O » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:18 am

How is Schade's 7Cr17 "High Carbon" stainless steel (in their "full tang" sheath knives) faring in field/combat applications? I understand that they are less inclined to chip than those comprised of those that are constituted of higher carbon alloys. ::shrug::

(a) Corrosion is (obviously) inhibited by using this steel.

(b) It is more difficult to attain a level of hardness (54-56 HRc instead of 58-60 HRc) of "higher carbon" steels (1095, AUS-8 and 440C).

How well does Schrade's Chinese work in the "real world"? Does it require more frequent sharpening? Will it wear our sooner than carbon steels?

Perspiring minds, (as well as Arf The Wonder Chicken) want to know.

User avatar
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by ken98k » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 pm

I think 50 plus views and no replies says it all.
The overall quality of Chinese knives has improved greatly over the last couple years but the quality of the steel is still a great unknown and varies from maker to maker.
My personal opinion is very low when it comes to Chinese made Schrade products.
I am the NRA.

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Posts: 4167
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:31 pm

I would be dubious of 7cr17 in a fixed blade, but it would probably be a relatively decent knife for the price. I have had a few china schrade folders here and there, each time I completed my assessment of them I gave the knife to someone who needed one and they are pleased with them. In my experience the steel and knives are usually pretty adequate but they aren't real schrades so I don't keep them around. I don't have a problem with china made knives but being primarily an old schrade collector I just can't abide the chinese "schrades".
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded schrades and Schrade Cut Co cattle and stockman knives, in good condition.

Captain O

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by Captain O » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 pm

The entire idea behind this knife would be one that is expendable or "disposable" in nature. (If you lost the unit, it wouldn't be a "heartbreaking" loss).

Thanks to all for your responses.

User avatar
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 18781
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 am
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by orvet » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Albert Baer and (Uncle) Henry Baer were always adamant that Schrade made tools not weapons. Tool making was the purpose of their company, of course during World War II when the United States was in an all out fight for our very existence they did make a number of military knives. However, their philosophy became so ingrained in the American Imperial Schrade Corporation, that they declined to manufacture the 162OT. The 162OT was a double-edged dagger and the primary application of such a knife is as a weapon not a tool.

Even after the death of the Baer brothers this philosophy was so strong in Imperial Schrade Corporation that they declined to make the 162OT despite the fact they had initial orders for 100,000 units just from the prototypes of the 162OT. This one pattern alone would probably have put ISC back in the black. Instead they went bankrupt shortly thereafter.
Captain O wrote:The entire idea behind this knife would be one that is expendable or "disposable" in nature. (If you left it in someone's ribs and it wound up in a police evidence locker, it wouldn't be a "heartbreaking" loss).

Thanks to all for your responses.
Statements presenting knives in a dangerous, illegal fashion are not helpful to the hobby of knife collecting even when said in jest.

It is analogous to someone in a handgun forum talking about buying a throw away gun to avoid prosecution after shooting someone.

As members of AAPK we represent over 12,000 members of the knife collecting/knife using community. When people hear one of our members talking like this it’s pretty easy for them to assume that that is the attitude of all “knife people.” We enjoy a great deal of freedom in America as regards the hobby of knife collecting. We need to be aware that we are living in a day and age that is very politically charged and statements we make can be taken out of context and twisted and used against us and other members of the knife collecting community.

Speak to some of our members who live in Australia and have difficulty getting their knife purchases through customs because of their stringent laws. Speak to one of our members who live in the UK and see how restrictive their knife laws are. They have even had buyback programs in the UK for knives, similar to the gun buyback programs in some cities here in the US.

I am not trying to pick on you for your post, though I do think it was in poor taste; I want all AAPK members to be aware of the fact that we really should watch what we say in an open forum. In today’s politically charged climate anything you say, tweet, blog, post or express in any other form can be removed from context and twisted to be used against you or in this case AAPK or knife collectors in general.

Something for us all think about…
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

User avatar
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 3238
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by bestgear » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:01 pm

In support of Dales comments..................

Forum members may not know that web crawlers such as Google and Yahoo scour websites such as AAPK for content on a daily basis. That content, when searched for by the world, directs the searcher to sites where there are "hits". As an example, when AAPK is next crawled, if you were to search Google for "left it in someone's ribs and it wound up in a police evidence locker", a link to this thread would come-up as a "hit". Nothing posted here is hidden from web crawlers except maybe (maybe) private messages. Everything posted here is available to law enforcement and those involved in National Security.

Just my $0.02.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Captain O

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by Captain O » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:43 am

The last time I checked, defending one's life from violent attack as we have been seeing with greater frequency, isn't a crime. I don't intend to be a victim of violent agitators. Not using a knife as a weapon is a good theory, unfortunately, that's all it is.

Non-violent people become victims on a regular basis. I refuse to be a victim.

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Posts: 4167
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:55 am

Captain O wrote:The last time I checked, defending one's life from violent attack as we have been seeing with greater frequency, isn't a crime. I don't intend to be a victim of violent agitators. Not using a knife as a weapon is a good theory, unfortunately, that's all it is.

Non-violent people become victims on a regular basis. I refuse to be a victim.
I've gone my whole knife using knives as tools, never had to use one as a weapon. Not what I would call a theory.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded schrades and Schrade Cut Co cattle and stockman knives, in good condition.

User avatar
gwelker62
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by gwelker62 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:57 am

I have nothing of value to add in response to the OP's query on 7Cr17 steel used in chinese made Schrades.

All I will say is, it doesn't matter to me because I will not pay money for a china made Schrade. I consider it a sacrilege for them to be made in china and not 'real' Schrade knives made in the spirit of the original company. Not saying I am opposed to knives made outside the US per say, it just a fact that china produced goods are made as cheap trinkets for mass consumption. Also, china manufactured goods are very often cloned and sold out the 'back door' of the very same facility.

Captain O

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by Captain O » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:08 am

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I've gone my whole knife using knives as tools, never had to use one as a weapon. Not what I would call a theory.
I have yet to be attacked, but less than 30 miles from where I live there have been violent riots that have disrupted those living quiet and civil lives. Sadly the days of "quiet and civilized" cities in the Western U.S. have been flooded with those that feel the need to rob and assault capriciously, without compunction. I have witnessed this in person.

It wasn't fun.

Captain O

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by Captain O » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:33 am

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I've gone my whole knife using knives as tools, never had to use one as a weapon. Not what I would call a theory.
GOOD FOR YOU! It sounds as if you've lived a nice, sheltered life. (Some of us have been in "harm's way" and learned something during an armed confrontation). There's something exhilarating about having been confronted by someone with a machete... when you have a .44 Special revolver.

I am thankful that I was armed and could save my own skin. (And yes, I was serving with the "good guys"... stateside).

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Posts: 4167
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:01 am

Captain O wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I've gone my whole knife using knives as tools, never had to use one as a weapon. Not what I would call a theory.
GOOD FOR YOU! It sounds as if you've lived a nice, sheltered life. (Some of us have been in "harm's way" and learned something during an armed confrontation). There's something exhilarating about having been confronted by someone with a machete... when you have a .44 Special revolver.

I am thankful that I was armed and could save my own skin. (And yes, I was serving with the "good guys"... stateside).
You're a legend in your own mind.

Talk like that around here is not going to get you any respect. Or admiration of that's what you are looking for. You will find that the folks on this forum are friendly, genuine people that are a joy to know and converse with. Many of them are pro gun and I have never seen such a callous outburst like yours from anybody else here.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded schrades and Schrade Cut Co cattle and stockman knives, in good condition.

Captain O

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by Captain O » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 am

Quoting movie lines are for those that have no grasp on real life. I hope things get better for you. I didn't enjoy the encounter and wouldn't want to go through it again. No brag, just a harrowing experience. (I am glad I lived beyond it). By the way, I couldn't care less whether or not you are my friend. I have no interest in you, or your opinions.

User avatar
Old Hunter
Posts: 8183
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:14 am
Location: Crystal Coast, NC

Re: Quality of Schrade's (Chinese) 7Cr17 "High Carbon" steel in sheath knives

Post by Old Hunter » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Moving out of combat and back to the original question; I didn't answer because I have no experience with a Chinese Schrade, but I have an idea for you Captain. I buy different Buck 100 series fixed blade knives (because I like them) and clean/butcher at least one deer with it so I can report on the knife's performance in comparison to my standard hunting knife (the Buck 118). Being as no one seems to have owned one of the Chinese made Schrades in the steel you reference, why don't you obtain one (they are inexpensive), use it, and report back on your findings? That would answer your questions and provide a service to the rest of the AAPK membership. Just an idea for you. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Post Reply

Return to “General Knife Discussion”