What is a Wharncliffe Pattern Knife

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

What is a Wharncliffe Pattern Knife

Post by Schradenut »

There has been some chatter about "Wharncliffe". Most only refer to the style of blade, which has a gentle slope down towards the tip. As the angle gets much bigger it becomes a sheepfoot.
Most seem to think that there is no Wharncliffe pattern, that it is just a Serpentine sleeveboard.
The Guru of all things Schrade(Dale Vincent), describes the Serpentine Pattern sleeveboard as a "Wharncliffe Pattern", ie; Open Stock models:766, 866 etc.
I agree with Dale's interpretation, but would like to throw it out there to see what the general consensus is.
Tony.
Attachments
SW 766
SW 766
SW-766.jpg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
wlf

Re: What is a Wharncliffe Pattern Knife

Post by wlf »

The end all of discussion for me is conformations by old catalogs. Both these catalog cuts of 1921 Western States and the Enderes Alberta Lea Minn. describe the pattern as wharncliffe spelled whorncliffe (for whatever reason). I think this frame has always been called wharncliffe .
Attachments
wharncliffe frame
wharncliffe frame
Enderes Albert Lea Minn 1.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
wharncliffe frame
wharncliffe frame
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Lyle, did you notice the top one spells it "Whorncliffe" and the bottom one spells it "Worncliffe" without the "h"? I believe I'll continue to spell it "Wharncliffe". :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Odd to me is a Worncliffe/ Whorncliffe frame, and no Wharncliffe blade
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:Odd to me is a Worncliffe/ Whorncliffe frame, and no Wharncliffe blade
As I understand it, in the beginning Worncliffe/ Whorncliffe/Wharncliffe was the name of the frame. The name was applied to the blade later.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jerryd6818 wrote:
SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:Odd to me is a Worncliffe/ Whorncliffe frame, and no Wharncliffe blade
As I understand it, in the beginning Worncliffe/ Whorncliffe/Wharncliffe was the name of the frame. The name was applied to the blade later.
I concur.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Worncliffe and Whorncliffe, I didn't remember I already knew that Jerry thanks,I expect were regional bastardizations . Sometimes I can't remember what I forgot. Grin'n

I have catalog cuts of United Cutlery,J Koesters(Koesters is German for Casters as in Caster Bros),Wostenholm in Shapleigh's,etc. that are described as Wharnciffe patterns. All not having a "Wharncliffe" blade.

That frame is a Wharncliffe pattern.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
AGDO

Post by AGDO »

I believe the long blade in Schardenut's picture is a Western Clip. The first picture that wlf shows is a Warncliffe blade, popular among whittlers and carvers.
Both are favorites of mine.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Many thanks for your input gentleman. That sounds conclusive to me.
I was hoping that Dale would put his 20 cents worth in, as he was the one that planted the seed in my mind a few years ago...took a while for the seed to grow. LOL.
Tony.
wlf

Post by wlf »

AGDO wrote:I believe the long blade in Schardenut's picture is a Western Clip. The first picture that wlf shows is a Warncliffe blade, popular among whittlers and carvers.
That's just the shadow in the picture disguising a pruning blade. As both are farmers jacks,and farmers jacks have a pruning main and a spey or modified spey as a secondary. Wharncliffe are similar but the spline descends much quicker to the sharp edge which is on a horizontal plane . This differs from the edge of a pruning blade that follows the curve of the spline,sometimes dropping 1/4" below the choil.

Here is an actual Western States knife like the 1st cut:
Attachments
Western States Boulder Colo274.jpg

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

AGDO wrote:I believe the long blade in Schardenut's picture is a Western Clip. The first picture that wlf shows is a Warncliffe blade, popular among whittlers and carvers.
That's just the shadow in the picture disguising a pruning blade. As both are farmers jacks,and farmers jacks have a pruning main and a spey or modified spey as a secondary. Wharncliffes are similar but the spline descends much quicker to the sharp edge which is on a horizontal plane with the choil , making it less thick than the pruner . This differs from the edge of a pruning blade that follows the curve of the spline,sometimes dropping 1/4" below the choil, forming what is called a hawkbill..

Here is an actual Enderes knife like the 1st cut, only worn some:
Attachments
Enderes          Albert Lea, Minnesota (2).jpg

Lyle

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”