First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by bestgear »

Morning fellow knifers and everything that goes sharp from the stormy DelMarVa peninsula. This should be our 1st 90F day and the thunderstorms are already firing-up. I’ve been on sprinkler duty since 0530 to “protect the turf” ::facepalm:: I need help ::facepalm::
Attachments
9B784F9E-4D9C-440E-9D50-0327552F8383.jpeg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning Tom. It's been warm up here too but it's a refreshing 56 now. Jason is being released from the Guard Base today so I'll have help. I'm starting to lose it over the lockdown and my wife is getting worried about me damaging our TV during the news. It's a smart TV (at least it says so whenever it turns on) but I'm having my doubts from the stupid stuff it keeps reporting. Coffee sure tastes and feels good early on these cool mornings. Have a great Wednesday.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Fellers.
Interesting conversations this morning!
On a light note, the TV station that called for no chance of rain until Thursday, reported 4 inches yesterday at their station which is in downtown Panama City. :lol: We drove through some of it coming home from the doctor.
We have an 8 o'clock "appointment" to help a from lady move. She sold her house and has bought another home in a very small town in the next county.
Dave, I hope your "smart TV" survives. ::poke:: I know exactly how you feel.
Y'all have a good day!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!!!!
I slept like a rock last night and feel pretty good this morning. Nothing on my schedule, but Cheryl is going into town for some groceries and of course she has to stop by Hobby Lobby. Think I'll do some writing while she is gone.
Everyone have a blessed day and be safe. :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I see no one won MegaMilions last night. It's up to 378 Mil for Friday's drawing. Go get your ticket(s) before they're all gone. :lol:

Dark, Dreary & 70º in the Great Midwest, or at least in my portion of it. (it wouldn't be a FCD post if it didn't include a weather report)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning knifers, looks like another beautiful day. Heat and humidity is back. Showers in the forecast.
Everyone is fed and I'm thanking I need to get ahead of the rain and get the grass cut although it ain't really in need. The boss has got a medical procedure scheduled for Friday and that's the day I wanted to mow. Oh well let's get another cuppa joe and worry on it some. Yawl have a good'un. ::handshake::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

bighomer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:37 pm Morning knifers, looks like another beautiful day. Heat and humidity is back. Showers in the forecast.
Everyone is fed and I'm thanking I need to get ahead of the rain and get the grass cut although it ain't really in need. The boss has got a medical procedure scheduled for Friday and that's the day I wanted to mow. Oh well let's get another cuppa joe and worry on it some. Yawl have a good'un. ::handshake::
I hope the boss's medical procedure goes well. ::pray::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Supposed to hit 88 this afternoon. Unlike yesterday the humidity is below 50%. Coming back from town this morning I saw a crow munching down on some roadkill. That may not sound noteworthy but as it happens crows are rarely seen around here. This was perhaps the first I've seen in 4 years. A Brown Thrasher made a brief visit yesterday.
Called a younger brother this morning to congratulate him on his 70th birthday. He and his wife just recently moved to Maryland from the Chicago area.
Trash is out and gone. Even I find it strange to mention this most every Wednesday. :oops: After all David is constructing, Ann is welding, Scott is vacuuming up every stray knife in northern Florida and I...well I take out the trash.
Keep safe.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Afternoon y'all.
a little over 6 hours at work with the marquee and all.
Got home. Took trash. Ate lunch and finally here I am.
Other than that how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?
Looking for the magic penny!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone
Actually, QS, I do everything BUT weld! I’ve been running grinders, using the three hole drill, cutting tubing on the wet saw and generally doing the real “heavy metal” thing!
Today I had a break and just cleaned thirty-odd 1” think, 24”X60” tabletops. Hefty beggars! I got a workout today!
It’s warm but cloudy up here. Not bad.
I actually bought a knife from Dollarama the other day. It’s a good sized black folder, a zombie killer I suppose, but pretty solid for four bucks. It’s their Duramax tool brand. Made in China, but some of it is actually ok. I have a hammer that I’ve beat on for years and it’s still totally fine.
Well, off I go!
Have a good and safe day everyone!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:25 pm Supposed to hit 88 this afternoon.
Sure did here! ::cuss:: ::disgust::

Then the storms came... ::lightening::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning crew, rooster is woke. Coffee sure is good and working. 75-94 sunny. Happy trails!
David
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' David and mornin' to the rest of the group here. It is a warm 74º hereand headed for the mid-90s later today.
My granddaughter graduates from high school this morning with very limited attendance. The Bride and I will watch on the computer as no one under 60 is allowed to attend.
Hope you all have a fine day today. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 amMornin'
morning Ray - I have a friend in Fannin County and he shared with me the story where 32 guns were stolen from Red’s Indoor Range in Pflugerville ..... in where ::dang:: ...... Pflugerville ..... and there’s a $5,000 reward offered. Small world. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

bestgear wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 am
Paladin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 amMornin'
morning Ray - I have a friend in Fannin County and he shared with me the story where 32 guns were stolen from Red’s Indoor Range in Pflugerville ..... in where ::dang:: ...... Pflugerville ..... and there’s a $5,000 reward offered. Small world. ::handshake::
Yep,,, kinda a big deal here. I have been to Red's many times. Nice place and I hated to hear that had happened. They have pretty good photos from the security system. If the culprits aren't already in Mexico, they'll likely nail 'em.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Knifers.
Another Meteorological Summer day here in LA, thunder showers, heat and humidity and gnats! Several of us old retired dudes from the church helped a lady move to another house yesterday and I have not seen the gnats that bad before ::uc:: . I hope it's not a constant condition in the little town where she moved. What a job, fightin' off gnats and unloading two 24' U-haul trucks. I didn't have to rocked to sleep last night. I'm glad my normal Thursday helper has a doctor appointment today, so I can rest up a bit. ::tu::
The Pflugerville thing make one wonder why at this particular time? ::hmm::
Y'all have the best day possible, stay safe and stay away from the gnats. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Yesterday I got another one of those calls you know are coming and realize what they are before you answer. A good friend's son called and his dad and my friend Carl passed away. I kind of did my grieving when Carl was moved by his family from a nursing home where I visited him pretty regularly, to one near where his son lives. It was great for Carl to be close to his son, but out of reach for me to see him. I did get to talk to Carl a few weeks ago by calling an aid and having her bring her phone down to his room. I'm a few weeks short of 73, which seemed ancient when I was 50, but now seems way too young to have lost most all of my close friends. All this isolation stuff and no church to attend doesn't help. U Tube and zoom just aren't cutting it for me any longer. The family is keeping me in the loop for a on line funeral which is really thoughtful as I really don't know any of them well. Carl was close to his family but they all lived far away and Carl would call me or another friend he did gun shows with when he needed something. Collecting knives has taken on a different look and I'm not sure how to handle it. The nearest other collector I know of is 150 miles away. Carl, Dave ( passed away last summer) and I traveled to the Twin Cities every month to the North Star Blade Collectors meeting and I'd been going alone until this covid crap hit. Wisconsin has started having shows so I might have to do some traveling. I don't know if the Iowa club is meeting yet or not. This sure was way more fun when it wasn't so lonely. On a positive note, my son Jason will be back working with me at the cabin today after his unit with the Air Guards is deactivated from being on standby because of the riots and not so peaceful demonstrations. Have a good day and I hope my sour mood didn't affect your day. If it did, write my governor. ____Dave
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Dave,
My sympathy on the passing of your friend. It is a tough thing and I'll say a prayer. ::pray::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

djknife13 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:24 pmHave a good day....
Dave - I’m grieving with you my knife brother but keep your chin up and remember that your walk here with Carl is small compared to eternity when you will be together forever. I hope you find peace with your knives and that in some way they help move you forward. Godspeed
Tom
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

djknife13 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:24 pm Good morning. Yesterday I got another one of those calls you know are coming and realize what they are before you answer. A good friend's son called and his dad and my friend Carl passed away. I kind of did my grieving when Carl was moved by his family from a nursing home where I visited him pretty regularly, to one near where his son lives. It was great for Carl to be close to his son, but out of reach for me to see him. I did get to talk to Carl a few weeks ago by calling an aid and having her bring her phone down to his room. I'm a few weeks short of 73, which seemed ancient when I was 50, but now seems way too young to have lost most all of my close friends. All this isolation stuff and no church to attend doesn't help. U Tube and zoom just aren't cutting it for me any longer. The family is keeping me in the loop for a on line funeral which is really thoughtful as I really don't know any of them well. Carl was close to his family but they all lived far away and Carl would call me or another friend he did gun shows with when he needed something. Collecting knives has taken on a different look and I'm not sure how to handle it. The nearest other collector I know of is 150 miles away. Carl, Dave ( passed away last summer) and I traveled to the Twin Cities every month to the North Star Blade Collectors meeting and I'd been going alone until this covid crap hit. Wisconsin has started having shows so I might have to do some traveling. I don't know if the Iowa club is meeting yet or not. This sure was way more fun when it wasn't so lonely. On a positive note, my son Jason will be back working with me at the cabin today after his unit with the Air Guards is deactivated from being on standby because of the riots and not so peaceful demonstrations. Have a good day and I hope my sour mood didn't affect your day. If it did, write my governor. ____Dave
I feel your pain Dave. One of my best friends of 40 years and ex-sister-in-law passed two weeks ago from Pancreatic Cancer. We lost her just one week after her 59th birthday. The good thing we get to carry into the future is she got to hold her one week old and only Grand-son the day before she passed. She lost her son probably around 35 years ago to Metachromatic Leukodystrophy and her husband to a motorcycle accident in the early 2000's and now we've lost her. She's the one I could talk to about anything. Not trying to one up you here. Just sharing your pain. I'm going to quit before I short out the keyboard. ::teary_eyes::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Going to 88; sunny, humidity is climbing currently 68%. Always possibility of rain but the rains haven't been coming. Bev creek is dry; a mile down the road it still has some water. All around us the fields look like this.
P1030731 (2).JPG
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:47 pm
bighomer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:37 pm Morning knifers, looks like another beautiful day. Heat and humidity is back. Showers in the forecast.
I hope the boss's medical procedure goes well. ::pray::

Ray
Thanks Ray, ::handshake:: me too.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:35 pmI’m going to quit before I short out the keyboard
You are in my thoughts and prayers today Marine, you too keep your chin up and outlook bright .... memories to cherish are always a blessing. Godspeed
Tom
AAPK Administrator

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:37 pmAll around us the fields look like this
don’t get much better than this QS in my world - keep em” coming
Tom
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bestgear wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:42 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:35 pmI’m going to quit before I short out the keyboard
You are in my thoughts and prayers today Marine, you too keep your chin up and outlook bright .... memories to cherish are always a blessing. Godspeed
I have 76 bearing down on me here like a run-away freight train so I guess I should try to get used to it but tain't easy McGee. Thanks for the thoughts.

Sorry I turned maudlin on y'all.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”