KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by knifegnome »

Went to the flea market today,nothing great. Irving Cutlery Co Hawkbill , Zimmer ink eraser , Hibbard Spencer Bartlett broken pearl ,I picked that up because I rarely see 3 backspring whittlers.
Attachments
P1091679.JPG
P1091680.JPG
P1091681.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Hit the fleas this weekend and found a Hammer brand fixed.and a Blade tech IWB for a stub nose 5 bucks each ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knifegnome wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:38 pm Went to the flea market today,nothing great. Irving Cutlery Co Hawkbill , Zimmer ink eraser , Hibbard Spencer Bartlett broken pearl ,I picked that up because I rarely see 3 backspring whittlers.
To me, those are great finds. I rarely see anything that old at mine. The oldest I've personally found is a 1944 pattern Kutmaster Coast Guard rope knife. The rest are mostly newer knives; '60s, '70s, '80s; and lots of low end ::barf:: from the 1990s and 2000s. Basically stuff starting from when knife collecting started to become common; and a lot of junk fantasy/commemorative knives which really dominate what I find. The good stuff is always overpriced. I'm mostly a Schrade, Camillus, and Queen (as well as Swiss) guy; but most people here are Case or Boker (and that's what the expensive ones); but when I find a Camillus or Schrade, the prices are good. And lots of Klein Tools knives; at cheap prices. The coal mines basically gave miners as many as they wanted, and thus there are tons out there. Since I rarely pay more than $5 for them, it's what I outfit my truck and toolboxes with. I have so many hawkbills that I rotate between 3-4. One gets dull, I get another out, and sharpen up the one that was dulled when I get around to it.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

garddogg56 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 pm Rescued one of the greats well built underrated knives a 1936-52 Imperial camp knife::hmm:: I mean well built.this will go to one of my Grandkids.
Yes, those Imperials are very nice. I view them as some of the best camp knives ever built. But, you see only like one or two of those for every hundred Kamp Kings.

I'm going to have mine rebuilt. I got one in a junk lot, but the pen blade is broken, and the pin has wobble on the main blade (seems to be a big problem; I guess due to the screwdriver being on the same pin; meaning prying and overly tight screws loosened the pin) Those are built far nicer than any other camp knife I own; and miles ahead of the low-end Kamp Kings.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I like that tang stamp on the Hammer, Garddogg. Nice looking knife that you'll get some great use out of.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

MT-Vessel wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:57 pm Far from the vintage beauties posted here by lucky AAPK members, this 2013 SAK Soldier was still a good find at a local pawn shop. Used, but in very nice condition. It sat on a shelf in a glass cabinet with its price tag facing down. When the clerk turned it over, I immediately said, “sold!” The tag said $5 CDN. Less than four US dollars!
Finding a good solid knife at a good price makes me forget all the BS and smile. :D ::ds:: ::groove::
MTV
Five bucks was a steal! I paid $10 for this one back in December of 2016. The seller (a small "prepper" supply place in NC who for about two years, sold used knives on the site too) was supposed to send me what you have, but instead, I got this one; the Master RT, produced only in 2010 in somewhat small numbers for the 125th anniversary's "On the Road" collection. It was the wrong item, but I chose to say nothing since the knife was on my wanted list; and since it was only in early 2016 that I discovered it existed; I had never seen any offered for sale below $100. I'd bought it as a gift, so it put me in a pickle there; but I substituted an older, new-in-box Tinker Small from my collection.
KIMG3272.JPG
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

Cody6268,
Very interesting SAK model. The story and price add to its allure. The stainless-steel file/saw is new to me.... but I don’t know much! ::woot::
MTV
Empty vessels make the most noise...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

While Miss Joy was at her eye appointment I went by the pawn shop. I was amazed at the bare walls and almost empty hand gun cabinets! In the knife cabinet I noticed this Queen #1L, kinda worn out (kinda like me) but for the price I'll enjoy piddling with it. ::tu:: I was also amazed at how thin the liner lock is on this knife. Mighty poor in my opinion, especially for that style of knife and how they are usually used. ::shrug::
Can't beat the price.
Can't beat the price.
Blade needs a bit of tuning up and lowering
Blade needs a bit of tuning up and lowering
A 1976 model
A 1976 model
Need to get the micrometer to read the thickness of this liner lock brass!
Need to get the micrometer to read the thickness of this liner lock brass!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Cody and LJ ::handshake:: I appreciate it ::tu:: they really built those old Imperials.As compared to an Ulster which is a well built camp knife Impeial on the left,for a comparison.
Attachments
image.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm While Miss Joy was at her eye appointment I went by the pawn shop. I was amazed at the bare walls and almost empty hand gun cabinets! In the knife cabinet I noticed this Queen #1L, kinda worn out (kinda like me) but for the price I'll enjoy piddling with it. ::tu:: I was also amazed at how thin the liner lock is on this knife. Mighty poor in my opinion, especially for that style of knife and how they are usually used. ::shrug:: 009.JPG004.JPG007.JPG005.JPG
Treefarmer
Weird. I traded off a Queen-made Ontario here recently (Delrin handles), and the linerlock on that hawkbill was no different from a Klein in terms of thickness or strength.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Picked up this Buck 112 auto for $80. That's the lowest I've seen on this knife. I have several of it's larger 110 big brothers but hadn't found the 112 for what I'd pay. It's a little more decorated that I would have made it but I still like it.____Dave____Dave
Attachments
DSC01141.JPG
DSC01143.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Wow! That's a might fancy knife, Dave. Don't be carryin' that one around, you might lose it in all that snow y'all are enjoying. :)
Treefarmer

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Some nice knives showing up today. Congrats on your finds guys. ::tu::

Down the road from me is a small general hardware store that is family owned and not part of a chain, which is uncommon now-a-days. The owner and his son usually orders a few knives to keep in their display and usually have some good deals. I went by there to pick up some silicone sealant & some painters tape, and while there thought I would check out his knives on hand.

Walked out the door with this one. A New in Box, 2019 Case 130th Anniversary CXXX 62009-1/2 Barlow in the Golden Antique Bone. It has the Bomb shield with CXCASEXX stamping & Case CXXX tang stamp. The color of the Bone Got to me. Had to have it. Plus... out the door price was $48.
Case CXXX 2019 Barlow_a.png
Case CXXX 2019 Barlow_b.png
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

DJ that 112 is the most beautifull knife I have ever seen ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:23 am
treefarmer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm While Miss Joy was at her eye appointment I went by the pawn shop. I was amazed at the bare walls and almost empty hand gun cabinets! In the knife cabinet I noticed this Queen #1L, kinda worn out (kinda like me) but for the price I'll enjoy piddling with it. ::tu:: I was also amazed at how thin the liner lock is on this knife. Mighty poor in my opinion, especially for that style of knife and how they are usually used. ::shrug:: 009.JPG004.JPG007.JPG005.JPG
Treefarmer
Weird. I traded off a Queen-made Ontario here recently (Delrin handles), and the linerlock on that hawkbill was no different from a Klein in terms of thickness or strength.
In response to Cody's comment on the thickness of the liner lock, I measured the one on the above mentioned Queen and just picked a random Camillus electrician's knife out of a drawer and measured it. The Queen's lock measured 0.017" and the Camillus lock was 0.045". Here's a picture to show the difference:
Queen on left 0.017" Camillus 0.045"
Queen on left 0.017" Camillus 0.045"
You would have thought Queen would have done a better job of engineering on this type of knife. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Knife finds from an Antique shop. This is, I believe the 6th or 7th batch of knives I have purchased from my late friend Dave's collection. The nicest this time was a near mint unused pearl Henckles with 3 blades, a scissors and a corkscrew. Others are two pearl whittlers, a NYK and a Morley, a pearl 4 blade Schmachtenberg pen unsharpened and unused with coined liners, an ebony Ulster sway back Jack, a Browning trapper in stag, a J.Russell & Co. ebony Hawkbill, and two Jackson Fremont, Ohio hawkbills. I got the whole pile for around $200._____Dave
Attachments
DSC01147.JPG
DSC01148.JPG
DSC01149.JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Way to go Dave!!! Those are some great finds and would look good in anyone's collection. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice pick-up Dave ::tu:: pearls look great.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Nice group of knives, Dave...with a lot of sentimental value included. Love the pearl.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Stopped at a flea market in an abandon parking lot yesterday....
Attachments
IMG_0035.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 pm Some nice knives showing up today. Congrats on your finds guys. ::tu::

Down the road from me is a small general hardware store that is family owned and not part of a chain, which is uncommon now-a-days. The owner and his son usually orders a few knives to keep in their display and usually have some good deals. I went by there to pick up some silicone sealant & some painters tape, and while there thought I would check out his knives on hand.

Walked out the door with this one. A New in Box, 2019 Case 130th Anniversary CXXX 62009-1/2 Barlow in the Golden Antique Bone. It has the Bomb shield with CXCASEXX stamping & Case CXXX tang stamp. The color of the Bone Got to me. Had to have it. Plus... out the door price was $48.

Case CXXX 2019 Barlow_a.png
Case CXXX 2019 Barlow_b.png

Holy Moly bro!! :shock: Beauty score!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

TripleF wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:32 am

Holy Moly bro!! :shock: Beauty score!!
Thanks Scott

Smitty
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Bought this George Wostenholm, 4-7/8", British Navy approved, "Sailor's" knife in Princess Anne, MD today. (The smaller one is just for size comparison).
Probably WW I vintage. Big and heavy. Iron liners, marlin spike bears on both springs like a whittler. Blade stamped IX*L. Snaps like a dragon. :D J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2151.JPG
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:33 pm Bought this George Wostenholm, 4-7/8", British Navy approved, "Sailor's" knife in Princess Anne, MD today. (The smaller one is just for size comparison).
Probably WW I vintage. Big and heavy. Iron liners, marlin spike bears on both springs like a whittler. Blade stamped IX*L. Snaps like a dragon. :D J.O'.
::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice find.

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very cool find JO ::nod::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”