Banjo Man / Carving Show

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Banjo Man / Carving Show

Post by carvin don »

Haven't bought any pocket knives as of late, but did go down to Charlotte NC a couple weeks ago to enter their woodcarving show. I bought a couple carvin' knives from Ralph Long and one from Allen Goodman. (Allen is a helluva' carver from East Tennessee ::tu:: )Those folks put on one heck-uva show. One of the highlights for me was meetin' ole' Tom Wolfe, one of the grandfathers of caricature carving in this country. I managed to buy a few carvings of his, one of which is pictured below...mountain man w/ huntin' dog. The other picture is of the Banjo Man I'm tryin' to finish up, along with my whittlin' contest piece, they gave you a 2"x2"x7" block of wood and 2 hours to carve anything you wanted. I managed to carve this hillbilly feller and actually took 4th place for my efforts. I was as nervous as a cat at a dog show, this bein' my first whittlin' contest and cause' I was surrounded by 15 other mighty talented carvers. I won a carvin' knife made by John Dunkle (Herb Dunkle's son) a Case ballcap, Case polishing cloth and some sandpaper. I had a hoot-hollerin' time...

IMG_8431.jpg
Banjo Man/hillbilly/carvin' knives
Don
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Banjo Man / Carving Show

Post by philco »

Go Don! ::tu::

You sure do have talent.

If I was in a whittling contest with a timer, I'd be lucky to finish with an unrecognizable object and most of my fingers intact. :lol:

Congratulations on your showing. ::tu::

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Congrats on the win Don!

Nice lookin' hillbilly!

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Hey Don,
Great piece of whittling you done there, and in just two hours! As always I enjoy your work. I have not whittled in a while myself. I am turning my focus on wood turning at the moment. Saving up some cash to buy a mini lathe. A friend of mine gave me some nice black walnut pieces that will turn out some nice things. When I get set up and turn out something I will post some pics. Keep up the nice work.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by carvin don »

Thanks a bunch Phil, Dale and Keith. And Keith, I hope 'ya get that lathe. Would love to see some turnings.
Don
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Thanks Don,
Just trying to figure out what brand I want to invest in. It is like trying to pick out a knife these days, so many on the market.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Very cool Don!

The banjo man is near complete?

The dude and his dog are awesome!
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

WOW Don, unbelieveable in 2 hrs ::tu::
As I told all you AAPK carvers in a prievious post,
You guys are amazing !!!
Will

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”