Thousands of vintage pocket knives.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Newbie1945

Thousands of vintage pocket knives.

Post by Newbie1945 »

Hiya all, Happy New Year,
Being an idiot at sensible prose I think I will follow Lord Nelson's admonition and " Go right at them !" Them being you folks.
On Dec 21, I and my bride found ourselves in Lubbock, Texas. Where we visited one of the finest examples of an antique shop that we have seen in years. THE ANTIQUE MALL OF LUBBOCK. As I was chatting with the Prop. I heard my bride gasp out. "O My God" they're every where!" Looking for the rumpus ,I found that she was correct. They were every where. Thousands of knives, case after case filled with them.my off hand estimate is over four thousand and I was told that number represented less than half of the number the dealer had for sale. They just could not accommodate the large number. Now my memory tells me that there were darn few of these unmentionable new tactics thing-a-ma-bobs. Plain old fashioned bone etc. Lots of CASE.Winchester etc.
So 7907 WEST 19th
Lubbock
806-796-2166

I know this is kinda out of the way but we had also stopped at an outlet mall cutlery shop in MO. The antique mall had more displayed. So, this might be your lucky day.
John
If you don't like my dog then you're really not going to like me. ::ds::
tongueriver

Re: Thousands of vintage pocket knives.

Post by tongueriver »

Dang; I have been in Midland many times and never suspected... :shock: Now I am 1300 miles from there and may never go by there again. :(
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting. I’ve been there several times, but none recently. In fact my niece even worked there for a while a few years ago when she was a student at Texas Tech University. Unfortunately there were no knives when I was there, so it must be a recent development. Also unfortunately as of about a month ago I no longer have any family in the area either. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Too bad you didn't snap a few pictures ::hmm::
AAPK Janitor
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Yeah Lubbock is a little of the beaten path. I used to keep that U.S. 84 hot though. I had no idea that Antique mall was there though..
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Newbie1945

Post by Newbie1945 »

Folks, to answers some of the comments.
This collection was bought from a dying collector in the late autumn and brought to the Mall early December. We first visited this very narrow ,very deep ,verrry deep mall about eight years ago and yes Lubbock is not on the way or near anything else. It seems Wichita Falls or Abilene might be the only two neighboring cities.
As to the angst experienced by those that can't go there, mine was as great . Never expecting to find this I wasn't prepared and could only afford three folders. Also, taking photos would ha been considered rude.Nice place. Nice folks. Beautiful knives that I hope some of you cansee.
John
If you don't like my dog then you're really not going to like me. ::ds::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Someone has to go there, and take cash, plenty of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:41 am Someone has to go there, and take cash, plenty of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd be happy to do just that if I had the money. The flesh is willing, but the bank account is weak. ::facepalm::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Last time I was there this was in the window. Is it still there? :lol: (I recommend you call before you go).

Ken
Attachments
EAE6A100-7B4C-4579-902D-1F60AA025FD6.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This Antique Mall deserves a visit by an AAPK group to take a close look at these knives. It would allow for quick 'consults with each other to ensure only authentic knives were purchased. Large collections often have a number of fakes. And pricing: does the Mall owner know knives well enough to price accordingly ? Likely not so there could be some great deals. Sounds like it is worth a group trip.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

philco wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:43 am
cudgee wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:41 am Someone has to go there, and take cash, plenty of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd be happy to do just that if I had the money. The flesh is willing, but the bank account is weak. ::facepalm::
I know your predicament my friend. ::tu:: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::facepalm:: ::handshake::
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Newbie1945 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:34 am Hiya all, Happy New Year,
Being an idiot at sensible prose I think I will follow Lord Nelson's admonition and " Go right at them !" Them being you folks.
On Dec 21, I and my bride found ourselves in Lubbock, Texas. Where we visited one of the finest examples of an antique shop that we have seen in years. THE ANTIQUE MALL OF LUBBOCK. As I was chatting with the Prop. I heard my bride gasp out. "O My God" they're every where!" Looking for the rumpus ,I found that she was correct. They were every where. Thousands of knives, case after case filled with them.my off hand estimate is over four thousand and I was told that number represented less than half of the number the dealer had for sale. They just could not accommodate the large number. Now my memory tells me that there were darn few of these unmentionable new tactics thing-a-ma-bobs. Plain old fashioned bone etc. Lots of CASE.Winchester etc.
So 7907 WEST 19th
Lubbock
806-796-2166

I know this is kinda out of the way but we had also stopped at an outlet mall cutlery shop in MO. The antique mall had more displayed. So, this might be your lucky day.
John
What did you buy?

Harold
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here are some pic's from Google Maps. It's only a 5 hour drive for me with a short detour to Matador, TX (Moore Maker).
Road trip anyone?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-16 105416.png
Screenshot 2022-01-16 105449.png
Screenshot 2022-01-16 105535.png
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I would take that trip with you David. However, it is also at least a 26 hour drive for me to get to North Texas.
Dan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

danno50 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:50 pm I would take that trip with you David. However, it is also at least a 26 hour drive for me to get to North Texas.
I'd love to come with you. But the 11,000 miles might be an issue. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: :lol:
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I was there in November. Only a handful of knives. Lucky for me I live 5 miles from it. Guess I'll be stopping there on my way home and take pictures and report on prices
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

espn77 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:16 pm I was there in November. Only a handful of knives. Lucky for me I live 5 miles from it. Guess I'll be stopping there on my way home and take pictures and report on prices
If you only live 5 files from there I would greatly appreciate an update on their knife selection. I was planning on a 2 or 3 day trip this spring, but if it's not worth my time??? ::hmm::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Here it is. I had to run by there and see what they had.
Attachments
20220117_123353.jpg
20220117_123347.jpg
20220117_123341.jpg
20220117_123337.jpg
20220117_123330.jpg
20220117_123322.jpg
20220117_123316.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I bought 2 knives. A xx 6347 and a 4 dot buffalo clasp knife. Have to pay for them after work. Will post pictures
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Keith! Hard to say for sure but from what can see, nothing there worth my driving 5-1/2 hours for. At least not from my collecting perspective anyway - others may see something different. If I was closer it would be fun to browse through them though. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:59 pm Thanks Keith! Hard to say for sure but from what can see, nothing there worth my driving 5-1/5 hours for. At least not from my collecting perspective anyway - others may see something different. If I was closer it would be fun to browse through them though. ::tu::

Ken
Same for me Ken. I wish I knew more about buck, quite a few of them. Only the newer Remingtons.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks for the pictures Keith.

Harold
espn77

Post by espn77 »

stockman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 pm Thanks for the pictures Keith.

Harold
Yes sir
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

From the pictures it appears to be a very unorganized set-up. ::facepalm:: They have knives mixed in with keys, thimbles, watches, and other stuff making it difficult to fully examine any of the knives. ::doh:: From what I could make out it looked like some nice models in there though! 8)
8)
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:07 pm From the pictures it appears to be a very unorganized set-up. ::facepalm:: They have knives mixed in with keys, thimbles, watches, and other stuff making it difficult to fully examine any of the knives. ::doh:: From what I could make out it looked like some nice models in there though! 8)
Thanks Marc, and happy new year! I wish that I could expand the pictures just a little bit more so that I could read the little price tags. Nah, maybe I'm better off not knowing. ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “General Knife Discussion”