Rare, red bone and carried knives on eBay

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Rare, red bone and carried knives on eBay

Post by btrwtr »

I generally try to avoid the word rare when describing a knife. Just a quirk I picked up many years ago. There are a number of words and terms that I believe are used far too often used to describe knives and "rare" is one that I believe has been used to death, especially when looking at eBay knife sales. I often prefer to use the phrase "hard to find" in place of the word "rare".

Currently there are over six thousand, collectible, folding knives on eBay that use the word "rare" in the description. Over two thousand collectible, vintage, folding knives that are described as "rare". Some of these knives are very hard to find if you are looking to ad them to your collection. The vast majority are far from "rare" in my jaded opinion.

I've harped before about the use of the description "red bone" when used to describe older, Case brand knives. Currently there are 267 Case brand knives listed on eBay in the vintage folding knife category that are described as being "red bone". These knives include a number of knives that have delrin and pakawood handles as well as many bone handle knives that look to have absolutely no trace of any red color in the bone handles.

I've also harped about the use of the word "carried" in knife descriptions. I do not understand how the word has any bearing on the value or condition of the knife. I've collected old knives for over 40 years now and still can't look at a knife and tell if it has not been pocket carried. Currently there are over 38 thousand knives on eBay in the collectible folding knife category that use the word "carried" in the description. 3,600 knives on eBay in the vintage folding knife category that use the word "carried". No harm in using the word I just find it unnecessary and superfluous.

All in all I guess this is just a product of being a knife collector for many years and remembering how it used to be. Rare is a word I now use more often to describe meat that knives. Red is a color that I learned as a very young child and I have somehow clung to that definition even when it comes to bone knife handles. Every knife I have ever owned has been carried from one place to another at some time and I don't see that the word has any value in describing a knife.

I apologize if I have been too biased this post. Winter here in upstate NY. 2 degrees farenheight outside and too much time on my hands.

Here is a knife that I might describe as rare. Not hard to find as I doubt many are looking for one like it. Not red bone and I know I've carried around the country for many miles. I sold all the Case congress pens I had collected many years ago but kept this one as I thought it unique and don't really know what it might be worth. I found another Case USA 6 dot 6488 that has sold recently on eBay for just over $350. A very nice looking knife. I think I could finish this knife out to look factory finished but then it would not be so unique. The term "lunch box knife" is often used to describe counterfeit knives. This 6488 somehow escaped the Case factory in it's unfinished condition.
Attachments
IMG_4310.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG
IMG_4312.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rare, red bone and carried knives on eBay

Post by Ridgegrass »

Hey Wayne, I'd add "vintage" and "early" to "rare". Those words are worn out. J.O'.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Funny, you never see "worn out" on a tag or ad. :D J.O'.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Or Junk. 🙄
John 🔪
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jmh58 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 pm Or Junk. 🙄
John 🔪
There used to be a guy on ebay who advertised most of his knives as junk drawer knives. He had a lot of cobbled stuff. Haven't seen him around lately though.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

gsmith7158 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:56 pm
jmh58 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 pm Or Junk. 🙄
John 🔪
There used to be a guy on ebay who advertised most of his knives as junk drawer knives. He had a lot of cobbled stuff. Haven't seen him around lately though.
😂😂😂That’s funny Greg.
John 🍻
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

btrwtr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:45 pm I generally try to avoid the word rare when describing a knife. Just a quirk I picked up many years ago. There are a number of words and terms that I believe are used far too often used to describe knives and "rare" is one that I believe has been used to death, especially when looking at eBay knife sales. I often prefer to use the phrase "hard to find" in place of the word "rare".

Currently there are over six thousand, collectible, folding knives on eBay that use the word "rare" in the description. Over two thousand collectible, vintage, folding knives that are described as "rare". Some of these knives are very hard to find if you are looking to ad them to your collection. The vast majority are far from "rare" in my jaded opinion.

I've harped before about the use of the description "red bone" when used to describe older, Case brand knives. Currently there are 267 Case brand knives listed on eBay in the vintage folding knife category that are described as being "red bone". These knives include a number of knives that have delrin and pakawood handles as well as many bone handle knives that look to have absolutely no trace of any red color in the bone handles.

I've also harped about the use of the word "carried" in knife descriptions. I do not understand how the word has any bearing on the value or condition of the knife. I've collected old knives for over 40 years now and still can't look at a knife and tell if it has not been pocket carried. Currently there are over 38 thousand knives on eBay in the collectible folding knife category that use the word "carried" in the description. 3,600 knives on eBay in the vintage folding knife category that use the word "carried". No harm in using the word I just find it unnecessary and superfluous.

All in all I guess this is just a product of being a knife collector for many years and remembering how it used to be. Rare is a word I now use more often to describe meat that knives. Red is a color that I learned as a very young child and I have somehow clung to that definition even when it comes to bone knife handles. Every knife I have ever owned has been carried from one place to another at some time and I don't see that the word has any value in describing a knife.

I apologize if I have been too biased this post. Winter here in upstate NY. 2 degrees farenheight outside and too much time on my hands.

Here is a knife that I might describe as rare. Not hard to find as I doubt many are looking for one like it. Not red bone and I know I've carried around the country for many miles. I sold all the Case congress pens I had collected many years ago but kept this one as I thought it unique and don't really know what it might be worth. I found another Case USA 6 dot 6488 that has sold recently on eBay for just over $350. A very nice looking knife. I think I could finish this knife out to look factory finished but then it would not be so unique. The term "lunch box knife" is often used to describe counterfeit knives. This 6488 somehow escaped the Case factory in it's unfinished condition.

Great post, the same goes for "greenbone". ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

When I see that a knife has been carried, I assume they mean in the pocket. That does keep me from buying a knife many times. Pocket carry adds scratches to the outside of a knife. I think about that every time I put my car keys in my pocket since that is what scratches my knives the most when I carry them. I’m picky when it comes to knives and scratches bother me. I recently got two Case knives from the CCC that came from the factory with scratches on the bolsters and especially on the outside of the back springs. These knives look carried in the pocket right out of the box and that’s unacceptable for a new knife.
So I don’t mind if they tell me it’s carried, I assume they mean in the pocket when they say that.
As far as “rare”, it is over used and try not to use that word. Red bone is confusing. Since some bone is died red, that is appropriate to call it that. But when it’s used to describe older bone that is more brown and meets the old definition of what was meant by “red bone”, then it’s fine but newer collector’s don’t understand the distinction. There are probably a lot of newer collectors that will read this and not understand the issue until they research it. Same can be said for “green bone”, it’s confusing too for newer collectors.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”