Elon Musk's nukes

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
JackWhite

Elon Musk's nukes

Post by JackWhite »

After some research, I saw one interesting thing. Elon Musk came with an interesting but controversial idea. At Late Show of the CBS television and radio company, the idea proposed making Mars fit for life and subsequent colonization with the help of thermonuclear weapons. On the air of the program, Musk reflected on space travel and ways to colonize Mars. What do you think about it? :D According to the CEO of SpaceX, colonists on the red planet will have to live in transparent houses until their atmosphere becomes suitable for human habitation. Raising the temperature in the atmosphere of Mars is possible by the nuclear bombardment of the poles, and increasing the concentration of greenhouse gases is a slow way.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Elon Musk's nukes

Post by 1967redrider »

I don't think I will see it happen, but ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not in my lifetime or probably in the lifetime of my great-grandchildren. ::shrug:: Welcome to AAPK
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Mars is a much more difficult planet to colonize than most people think. It's not just a red rock without oxygen. It is covered in a fine dust like talcum powder that is made of iron oxide. It sticks to EVERYTHING and is blown around by the Martian wind that is typically 10-20 MPH, but is often 60+ MPH. However the REAL problem is that the core of Mars is solid and does not move like the Earth's molten iron core. This means there is essentially no magnetic field on Mars, and THAT means that Mars is continuously being bathed in radiation. There are solar flares that will result in someone on Mars getting exposed to 2,000 millirads per day. The average person in the USA sees ~600 millirads per YEAR.

So, I guess since you are already going to get blasted by radiation just by being on Mars, having a few nukes go off near you won't be that big a deal... :shock:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The thing about Elon Musk is you never know how much of which drug he’s on when he makes such proclamations. ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Since the billionaires aren't destroying this planet fast enough,
let's talk about screwing with another planet . . . . . .
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
JackWhite

Post by JackWhite »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:48 pm Mars is a much more difficult planet to colonize than most people think. It's not just a red rock without oxygen. It is covered in a fine dust like talcum powder that is made of iron oxide. It sticks to EVERYTHING and is blown around by the Martian wind that is typically 10-20 MPH, but is often 60+ MPH. However the REAL problem is that the core of Mars is solid and does not move like the Earth's molten iron core. This means there is essentially no magnetic field on Mars, and THAT means that Mars is continuously being bathed in radiation. There are solar flares that will result in someone on Mars getting exposed to 2,000 millirads per day. The average person in the USA sees ~600 millirads per YEAR.

So, I guess since you are already going to get blasted by radiation just by being on Mars, having a few nukes go off near you won't be that big a deal... :shock:
Good point by you there. Even tho I think that idea is weird but you are right about the big amount of radiation on Mars. Something should be done and probably will do about it, but still, I think it's more like a joke than a good idea.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I remember back when I was in gradeschool back in the 1950s it was talked about that a new replacement for the Panama canal would be constructed to make a sea level canal with nuclear explosives. This is to be put into that same category.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

There’s a thin line between being a genius and being a lunatic. Elan keeps us guessing as to what side of the line he’s on!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
JackWhite

Post by JackWhite »

Jeffinn wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:12 pm There’s a thin line between being a genius and being a lunatic. Elan keeps us guessing as to what side of the line he’s on!
Jeff
Big true. Considering the fact that he has mental problems. Well, despite all the madness said by him he is a very interesting person to follow ::dang::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”