Old knife I inherited I need help with info on

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Aliceinchanez996

Old knife I inherited I need help with info on

Post by Aliceinchanez996 »

My grandma recently passed away I’m 15 I was left with her collection there’s one particular knife that caught my attention it’s a 100th anniversary Winchester model 1895 how do I know what number of how many knives I have she’s still got original packaging is this a knife I carry or a knife that sits in the packaging collecting value?
image.jpg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Old knife I inherited I need help with info on

Post by Reverand »

That is a nice looking knife!
Unless there is some engraving or paperwork that states that it is #xx of xxx, then it is not a special production run. What makes the knife special is the previous owner! I may be wrong, but I don't think it has a high collector value.
As far as using it, that is up to you.
If you store it, I would take it out of the box, oil it, and wipe it down every year. Perhaps add a tiny desiccant pack to the box if you live in a humid area.
If you decide to carry it, it will be a constant source of good memories for you.
Whichever way, either one honors her, so do what feels right to you!

And ::welcome:: Welcome to AAPK!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Aliceinchanez996 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:05 am My grandma recently passed away I’m 15 I was left with her collection there’s one particular knife that caught my attention it’s a 100th anniversary Winchester model 1895 how do I know what number of how many knives I have she’s still got original packaging is this a knife I carry or a knife that sits in the packaging collecting value? image.jpg
Welcome aboard!
Very nice knife!! Special indeed.
Reverend speaks truth.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a reproduction Black Box Winchester, even has its Blue Grass Certificate of Authencity, "probably" made by Queen in 1995. 😉 The price wouldn't be high if you sell it on eBay, but if you keep it and remember your grandmother, it will be priceless.

::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. It’s great to see young folks interested in learning about knives, and appreciating something that belonged to a relative. You have a priceless keepsake to remember your grandma. Whether you decide to carry and use it, or keep it in its box you’re honoring her memory.

Something I do with a knife gifted to me is carry it every Sunday. When I slip it into my pocket every Sunday morning it reminds me of the person who gave it to me.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Aliceinchanez996 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:05 am My grandma recently passed away I’m 15 I was left with her collection there’s one particular knife that caught my attention it’s a 100th anniversary Winchester model 1895 how do I know what number of how many knives I have she’s still got original packaging is this a knife I carry or a knife that sits in the packaging collecting value? image.jpg
Welcome to AAPK, and hope you check back with us from time to time. A lot of information and great folks here. Never feel you can't ask a question here, someone will always be glad to help. Lot's of great information to be found.

It is great when a loved one like your Grandma passes something down to you. Take care of it, enjoy it along with the memories associated with it. As for the knife, others have already posted most information on it. Other than that, the handles are what is referred to as Cast Bronze, and as value usually runs anywhere from the high $30's range and have seen some near $50 for this particular 100 year anniversary knife. As Reverand has stated, keep it oiled from time to time, keep it dry, and it will give many years of enjoyment.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful old Winchester AIC996! And, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: It's really great to see some younger guys interested in knives, it's a teriffic hobby to pursue and the younger you start the sooner you can get involved and discover so many things about knives that you weren't already aware of! Welcome aboard! 8)
8)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”