Request To Store Owners

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Request To Store Owners

Post by Quick Steel »

If it is not already your practice, kindly consider including the OAL of any knife you are posting. Surprisingly often I find the length of a knife will be a determining factor for my purchase. While I do query store owners, including the OAL in the description eliminates the need for additional correspondence.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Request To Store Owners

Post by Railsplitter »

I'll second that notion. For folders, the closed length is helpful as well. Putting a ruler next to the knife in the pictures is another option for those who dislike the extra typing.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Good suggestion Garry. I try to remember to state the closed OAL, but in case I forget, I always take a picture with the knife lined up next to a ruler so it’s there. I’ve bought a few knives and found myself surprised by the size, both longer and shorter than I thought it was. Next to a ruler helps me to determine the length myself. Thanks for the helpful tip.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark. Naturally, my suggestion was not directed at you as you have always been exemplary on this point [and others I will add]. For me, a half-inch can make or break a sale, e.g. a 3" knive versus a 3 1/2" knife. Another thing you do well is your photography; always well lit. There are just one or two sellers whose photos are always dark. It completely shuts down my interest.

I also like your presentation of information. Good, helpful, commentary. it is this attention to detail that makes buying from you a positive experience.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

With the wide angle lenses used for photos in addition to the perspective and angles used I find a ruler in the pic can be hard to use accurately. Often 1/8 to 1/4 inch error can be made with a ruler in the picture. A ruler along with the stated measured length is good but the ruler alone has some variables and margin for error.

I wish that people selling used folding knives would include a picture showing the knife closed with the blade in the well. This type picture is most important for determining proper blade length but the use of this pic is the rare exception rather than the rule on eBay.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree with what Wayne said. I find the ruler in the picture to be near useless for reasons he stated. It's better than nothing but it's difficult to judge the knife length because the viewer can't tell if the photo angle is distorting the length.

The picture from top down with blade in the well is very helpful in determining blade loss, especially on a used knife.

Thank you.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's been my experience that dark and or out of focus pictures of the knife for sale hurt the purchase price, sometimes drastically. Great for the adventuresome buyer but not so much for the seller.
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:06 am Good suggestion Garry. I try to remember to state the closed OAL, but in case I forget, I always take a picture with the knife lined up next to a ruler so it’s there.
Excellent. Or purchase a cheap plastic caliper (shown below), priced from $1 shipped out of China to less than $10 shipped from here in the States. Accuracy to one one thousandth is not an issue with knives so low cost plastic is not an issue.
It's my opinion that the closed length is more important than the OAL length.
calipers.jpg
btrwtr wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:33 am With the wide angle lenses used for photos in addition to the perspective and angles used I find a ruler in the pic can be hard to use accurately. Often 1/8 to 1/4 inch error can be made with a ruler in the picture. A ruler along with the stated measured length is good but the ruler alone has some variables and margin for error.
Excellent observation.

I wish that people selling used folding knives would include a picture showing the knife closed with the blade in the well. This type picture is most important for determining proper blade length but the use of this pic is the rare exception rather than the rule on eBay.
Another outstanding suggestion.
And one of my pet peeves, a suggestion of my own. Include a comment on the SNAP or lack thereof. You can't show SNAP in a picture. (more directed at ebay sellers than sellers here but relevant no matter who the seller is)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I'm afraid I introduced a note of confusion by referring to the OAL. In a folding knife of course I am wanting the closed length. :oops:
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Just to add to Garry's suggestion, a shot of the knife fully open many times will determine if I'll pull the trigger or not. The shots with the blade open half way or slightly more doesn't give me a good idea of what the knife will look like in-hand. Jus' sayin'! 8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:36 am If it is not already your practice, kindly consider including the OAL of any knife you are posting. Surprisingly often I find the length of a knife will be a determining factor for my purchase. While I do query store owners, including the OAL in the description eliminates the need for additional correspondence.
I try to include several (at least two) next to a ruler so the perspective buyer can see the comparison to actual measurements. A picture is worth about 495 words, as I recall. On another I site where I have listings and am I constantly get email asking "How long is the blade?" This is very irritating when I have posted maybe 4 photos of the item next to a ruler. :x Buyers should remember: The photos are the BIGGEST part of the description. LOOK ::paranoid:: at the photos... ::paranoid:: all of the photos!
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”