Glass cutter knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Louisville.Boy1947

Glass cutter knife

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

This last weekend I passed on a knife with 2 broken blades but with one remaining blade/tool that I first thought was going to be a caplifter, but actually was a glass cutter. As two blades were broken I could not find a tang stamp. The size of the knife was similar to a scout or camp knife...had black plastic or composition covers and steel liners. Anyone know what company/companies may have made this knife, what the model name was, and how common were they ?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Glass cutter knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not common at all. I've seen less than a handfull over the last 11 yeats & want one but none for sale. Maybe I should set a search on ebay.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
just bob

Post by just bob »

I've had these before and they don't seem to be in much demand. This one is Germany.

https://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-923 ... utter.html

This may be closer to what you're thinking?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1800696281

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1934327500
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

This is an Imperial that I have. Sorry Jerry not for sale.
IMG_4454.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks for showing it Jim.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Louisville.Boy1947

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 pm This is an Imperial that I have. Sorry Jerry not for sale.

IMG_4454.JPG
That is the knife I saw with broken blades. Now I know it was an Imperial. That was the only one I have ever seen and handled. Too bad it had broken blades. Now to try to find the proper frame or model name. ::shrug:: Thank guys. ::groove::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:44 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 pm This is an Imperial that I have. Sorry Jerry not for sale.

IMG_4454.JPG
That is the knife I saw with broken blades. Now I know it was an Imperial. That was the only one I have ever seen and handled. Too bad it had broken blades. Now to try to find the proper frame or model name. ::shrug:: Thank guys. ::groove::
The one I pictured is 3 3/8" OAL closed, 4 blade with bail, shell handle construction with the USA tangstamp vertical which indicates 1956-1988.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

LB I'd put them in the utility category, here's a cheap whale shellhandle I purchased awhile back.
Attachments
20211025_140306.jpg
Louisville.Boy1947

bighomer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 pm LB I'd put them in the utility category, here's a cheap whale shellhandle I purchased awhile back.
BH that is a fine example. I would happier than a rabbit in tall clover to find one like that!
Froe

Post by Froe »

It seem like I was told they are called a glazier’s knife. Made sense to me.
Froe
Froe

Post by Froe »

Oh, the same guy told me notch in the blade was used to snap the glass.
Froe
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:44 pm

IMG_4454.JPG
I have an Imperial sitting on the desk by me that I bought at a junk store for $5.00 last year. It is missing the cutter wheel and bail, but is otherwise intact. I have intended to buy a glass cutter to salvage the wheel and do a transfer but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have a damaged knife to salvage the bail from. This thread has inspired me to get on it.
Attachments
DSCN2627.JPG
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:45 pm
bighomer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 pm LB I'd put them in the utility category, here's a cheap whale shellhandle I purchased awhile back.
BH that is a fine example. I would happier than a rabbit in tall clover to find one like that!
I think froe hit the nail on the head as to the pattern, and I believe there's a thread on here that discusses them.
I fished it out of the shallow end of the bay, if memory serves I was the only bidder. According to my records I gave 5 bucks + 5.65 shipping for it. Good luck finding one, I'm sure one will pop up on the bay. ::handshake::
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I really was inspired to fix mine. (above) I had an old glass cutter in the barn that I had forgotten about so I stole the wheel out of it. I found a box nail with the right diameter for the pin. I filed down the head of the box nail to make it look more appropriate, cut the nail to length with side cutters which left a good ragged edge to peen on the other side. Now I am a bail and a cleaning from returning some respect to the old Imperial.
Attachments
DSCN2633.JPG
DSCN2643.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”