Case Fixed Blade KnifeI have a

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kaoskelley

Case Fixed Blade KnifeI have a

Post by kaoskelley »

I have a CASE 5" fixed blade hunting knife that has been in the family for at least 60 years. I am planning on passing this on to my son and would like to have some more data on the knife.

The blade is 5" and stamped with a simple all upper case letters CASE. There is no XX or other marking whatever. The guard appears to be nickle / silver and the handle material looks like some type of synthetic maybe plastic in mottled green / black with black trim. The pommel is non magnetic probably aluminum.

Any help would be appreciated.

George
Attachments
DSCF1635.JPG
DSCF1636.JPG
DSCF1638.JPG
DSCF1639.JPG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Fixed Blade KnifeI have a

Post by kennedy knives »

It's I belive a E23-5 Mottled pearl -greenish -gray handle with a knights head pommel . They changed from the round head pommel to the knights head at the end of the XX era and used it on the USA era Fixed Blades . Hope this helps ::handshake::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Would that be celluloid? And what approximate year span?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Yes that is celluloid, commonly referred to in Case literature as “composition”. Assuming it is an E23-5, per information in Sargent’s Guide 7th Edition it was introduced in 1938 and discontinued between January 1942 and January 1949. (In other words it was listed in the January 2, 1942 price list but not in the January 1, 1949 list.)

The stamp on the OP knife is called the serifs stamp. Serifs are the little “feet” or marks on the ends of the letters. Stamps not having those “feet” are called sans serifs stamps.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good info! ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

With the Serif stamp and celluloid dates and a little history I think it is likely to really close the date in. Since no Case fixed blades were made during the war with aluminum pommels and the serifs stamp was either discontinued during the war (the first documented use if the CASE XX mark on fixed blade knives were the WW2 Bolo machete, folding machete, and the quartermaster knives) or just afterwards, I think If the availability of the celluloid option is correct which it is nearly gospel, that the knife looks to me to have been made 1938-1940-41 only. Garry, that looks more like a "square" pommel than a "knight's head" to me. Very cool knife!!
kaoskelley

Post by kaoskelley »

kennedy knives wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 pm It's I belive a E23-5 Mottled pearl -greenish -gray handle with a knights head pommel . They changed from the round head pommel to the knights head at the end of the XX era and used it on the USA era Fixed Blades . Hope this helps ::handshake::
Thanks to all, Any idea of value? Other than a few minor scratches on the blade it is in almost perfect condition.

George
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:18 am With the Serif stamp and celluloid dates and a little history I think it is likely to really close the date in. Since no Case fixed blades were made during the war with aluminum pommels and the serifs stamp was either discontinued during the war (the first documented use if the CASE XX mark on fixed blade knives were the WW2 Bolo machete, folding machete, and the quartermaster knives) or just afterwards, I think If the availability of the celluloid option is correct which it is nearly gospel, that the knife looks to me to have been made 1938-1940-41 only. Garry, that looks more like a "square" pommel than a "knight's head" to me. Very cool knife!!
Gunsil your are right I need to put my eye glass's on it is a square cut pommel had to blow it up ::dang:: to see the square pommel . Thanks for putting the right info out there ::handshake::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”