Another LB7 Customized

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another LB7 Customized

Post by Jeffinn »

I had purchased a few new Uncle Henry LB7 blades awhile ago in the hopes of fitting them into a few of the knives that I have. However, there are some differences in the blades and lock bars of these knives. Most notably the square notch that the lock bar tab engages to lock the blade into place comes in a couple of different sizes. Swapping out the lock bar for a suitable candidate is one option. However, the pivot hole location can vary from knife to knife. Anyway, I found 5 pre-production lock bars in one of my parts bins that allowed me to put a few knives together.
This one has a new high polished blade, some brown burlap micarta handles, some simple bolster threading and a little bit of coining along the rear edge of the liners.
It's a pretty knife but seems a bit lazy on closing of the blade (possibly a spring issue where it contacts the lock bar) so it'll sit on my shelf.
2021098_1.JPG
2021098_2.JPG
2021098_3.JPG
2021098_4.JPG
2021098_5.JPG
2021098_6.JPG
Thanks for looking!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Steve Warden

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by Steve Warden »

Niiiiiiiice!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

MAN.... That is a nice mod!!

I show the one I got from you to my friends all the time!

Great work Jeff!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Beautiful Knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is a beautiful LB7. Nicest one i have ever seen.
It is common for lockbacks to have almost no snap when closing. They do not need strong spring tension to hold the blade open. I think they are purposely designed to have a light closing snap as this is all that is needed and it is safer for the fingers.
kj
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:46 am It is a beautiful LB7. Nicest one i have ever seen.
It is common for lockbacks to have almost no snap when closing. They do not need strong spring tension to hold the blade open. I think they are purposely designed to have a light closing snap as this is all that is needed and it is safer for the fingers.
kj
Thanks KJ, maybe its okay then. I've got a couple more to finish and I'll compare the closing snap between them all when they're completed.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:46 am It is a beautiful LB7. Nicest one i have ever seen.
kj
I think you nailed it Roland! Every LB-style knife I've handled, has had light snap. I think becuase so many mechanics/electricians use them, they make them with lighter springs.
I know for a fact, when the hands are greasy, you don't want a blade slamming back on them... :mrgreen:
Just enough tension, that my finger can stop it at the kick. It's a handy technique to learn, espeically when you don't have a thumb-stud.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Jeffinn wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:12 pm I had purchased a few new Uncle Henry LB7 blades awhile ago in the hopes of fitting them into a few of the knives that I have. However, there are some differences in the blades and lock bars of these knives. Most notably the square notch that the lock bar tab engages to lock the blade into place comes in a couple of different sizes. Swapping out the lock bar for a suitable candidate is one option. However, the pivot hole location can vary from knife to knife. Anyway, I found 5 pre-production lock bars in one of my parts bins that allowed me to put a few knives together.
This one has a new high polished blade, some brown burlap micarta handles, some simple bolster threading and a little bit of coining along the rear edge of the liners.
It's a pretty knife but seems a bit lazy on closing of the blade (possibly a spring issue where it contacts the lock bar) so it'll sit on my shelf.
2021098_1.JPG
2021098_2.JPG
2021098_3.JPG
2021098_4.JPG
2021098_5.JPG
2021098_6.JPG
Thanks for looking!
Jeff
Another beauty Jeff! You've become a real expert working on these mate, fantastic eye for detail!

I've been putting mine to pocket use this past year, so many good things to say about it!
Smooth white bone, and raised pins make for one nice edc. Just have to adjust the kick a tiny bit, tip is protruding slightly. Another then that tiny issue, I'm a super happy cookie!

I'll be getting my buddy to snag me another one, coming up here; this time one of your deluxe models.

"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Knice work, Jeff !!
::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

that LB7 looks great, excellent work ::tu::
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I really like the threading. Also, did these normally have the NS pins? I'm used to the Buck 110's that were all brass. Regardless, I like it!
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

glennbad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:48 am I really like the threading. Also, did these normally have the NS pins? I'm used to the Buck 110's that were all brass. Regardless, I like it!
It originally had brass pins but I decided to use nickel silver throughout on this one for a little different look.
Thanks.
Jeff
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Very nice. Love seeing stuff like this.

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”