Lost and Found

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jhmenges

Lost and Found

Post by jhmenges »

Hey All,
I'm new to the site, but not new to knives.
I used to work for a Case Knives dealer back in the late '70's and early '80's - did the buying for them. In my pocket at the time was a lightweight M1051 LSSP. Aluminum handle, lock back, single blade. Easy! I left it in the warehouse one day and when I went back to look for it... Well, it was gone.
Fast forward to a couple of years ago. Had a yearning for that knife and picked one up at eBay. Back in the pocket. Yay!
About 10 to 12 weeks ago I went to help my son with a bicycle, about 10 miles away. (central-Florida, east coast) We were in a convenience store parking lot. He needed some tie wraps cut. Perfect and done. Not sure what else we might do, and knowing I never forget anything, I set the knife on top of my old Honda CR-V abpve the passenger door. Project completed. See ya later son. I drove out of the lot, took a right, spun a u-turn to head home and made it. Sometime soon after, very soon, I reached for that knife. No way! I never put it back in my pocket! Drove back to the scene, walked the parking lot and the route I took after completing the u-turn. No sign of my knife. Bummer for sure! Once again I had set this same pattern knife down and forgot to pick it up. Went home and rifled through my small collection selecting Gerber LST to suit my needs. That was almost 3 months ago.
This morning, I mean THIS MORNING as I'm cleaning my windows of a heavy dew, I notice some rust on the roof of my car above the passenger door. Investigating closer... my knife sitting in the trough that carries water off the roof, rusting. I was literally stunned! This knife survived my driving around and around for months. Still open. About where I left it. With the SS blade nicely beginning to rust. I cleaned up the blade on a wire wheel at work, oiled it up, and it's just fine! Ain't that amazing! Lost and Found!! Hope you enjoyed reading about it.
jmh58

Re: Lost and Found

Post by jmh58 »

That is just plain crazy!!! Good to hear you got it back!! 👍😎👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Wow what an adventure for your knife and you! Glad it turned out well! ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great story with a great ending! ::tu:: My CASE/BOSE dogleg jack started about the same way but did not end that way. :(
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Really good story. Gotta love those happy endings ::ds::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

What a great tale! Glad you found your Case! ::tu::
I would also like to say welcome to AAPK! ::handshake:: (I checked the Members Introduction thread and didn't see anything from you.)
We used to live in Central Florida but had to leave in 1973, got too crowded. Still have lots of family down that way.
Continue your participation, we like to hear from a feller with experience.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Wow, I agree, that is an amazing story! I think that knife didn't want to lose you. :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Great story, with a happy ending ta boot J.H.! ::tu:: BTW, ::welcome:: to AAPK, ::handshake:: you will be a definite asset around here! 8)
8)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! I had the exact same knife for years. I got it as a Christmas present from my parents in the 80’s when I was a kid and I packed it for a long time. One day in the Walmart parking lot I was tying something down and laid my knife on the side of the truck, and drove off!!! After I got home I drove all the way back and searched the parking lot. But alas, it was gone.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow, that's amazing that it stayed there all that time!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jhmenges wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:16 pm Hey All,
I'm new to the site, but not new to knives.....
Glad it stuck with you this time. ::tu:: ::tu:: Welcome to AAPK!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I have a similar story.

In my early days of selling knives on Ebay, I used to take all of my photos outdoors to get the proper light.

I used to set up on the rear trunk deck of my car, laying down a cloth mat as a background to photograph the knives.

One time after photographing a small half congress, I absent mindedly set the knife up in the depression where the back window meets the trunk when I moved it aside to photograph another knife, of course intending to pack it up later along with my other stuff to go back inside.

I forgot the knife and it sat there while I drove around for several days, before I found it sitting there just as I left it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

knifeaholic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 am I have a similar story.

In my early days of selling knives on Ebay, I used to take all of my photos outdoors to get the proper light.

I used to set up on the rear trunk deck of my car, laying down a cloth mat as a background to photograph the knives.

One time after photographing a small half congress, I absent mindedly set the knife up in the depression where the back window meets the trunk when I moved it aside to photograph another knife, of course intending to pack it up later along with my other stuff to go back inside.

I forgot the knife and it sat there while I drove around for several days, before I found it sitting there just as I left it.
You guys have the luck of the Irish. If I ever did that, it would be gone forever!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Two cases recently.

I often carry a CRKT Crawford Kasper as a work knife, as at the time, they were $20 no matter where you bought them. CRKT appears to have recently retired it, however. I was cutting twine that had gotten wrapped up in the head of my weedeater off, and had sat the knife down on an old 3 pt. mount grader blade. Forgot I'd laid it down there; and didn't know what had happened. That was in August of last year. This spring, I'm doing work and see something sticking out of a pile of dead leaves. It's the same knife, albeit a little rusty. Cleaned up with just a Scotchbrite pad.

I had bought a bunch of cheap Italian-made knives and made workhorses out of them. My favorite was a little hawkbill, about three inches closed. I thought I'd lost it taking photos next to an old truck bed, but couldn't find it. The daily driver used to be a 2009 Ford Edge. My Granddad can no longer drive, and I wasn't a big fan of driving it due to the size and width. My Grandmother bought a 2015 Ford Escape in 2017, and it had been the daily driver. Late last year, the transmission went bad in the Escape, and the Edge had been its replacement while the dealer took months to repair it under warranty. Well, I find that knife, 4 years later, stuck between the flip-down center console in the backseat and the seat back.

I also recently found a small two-blade manicure knife my Granddad had gotten in the 1970s from a supplier in the mining industry. He said it's been missing so long, he forgot he even knew it existed. We had a garage built in the 1990s, and it was lost before then.

What's bad is that the expensive knives I've lost are the ones I haven't been able to find--such as a Seki made SOG Micro Toolclip and a Seki-made AG Russell Titanium Penknife. The SOG had a loose clip, and had already been lost and found in a tree in a pasture near the barnyard. I think I lost it in a Food Lion parking lot. The AG Russell should be found soon. I believe the small hasp that it used as a keyring attachment broke off when I was sitting in a chair with my keys on my belt loop; it's probably laying on the ground/crawlspace underneath the deck. I learned then that knives on my keys should have a solid integral lanyard attachment. I replaced it with a Buck Nano Bantam I already had.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

All great knife stories. I have lost a few things ( personal papers, bag of tropical fish,
glass of ice tea, cup of coffee). I try to never put anything on the top of my
car or on the bumper of my wife's car. If I do catch myself doing it I move
it to another location.......usually

Welcome to AAPK jh

Bob
jhmenges

Post by jhmenges »

Hmmm... I've enjoyed the responses to my 'Lost and Found' story. Lots of great knife stories out there just waiting to be shared. Bob's response about losing things other than knives, along with a partial list of those things, includes mention of a bag of tropical fish. Really? That's interesting! Perhaps the details are posted at an AATF website somewhere? More detail desired.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I was up in Montana this summer visiting my friend "MTC". We were heading up in the mountains in two vehicles when we had to stop to cut and move a tree blocking the road. I got out to help and after clearing the road we drove on. After a while I reached under the seat to get my Strider fixed blade that I had taken off my belt when we started the trip. When I reached down I could not find it. I told "MTC", "Oh man my Strider is gone!" At the time when I got the knife it cost about $350 or so. However, more important than that, I had carried it overseas and it had a lot of sentimental meaning beyond what it was worth as a high quality knife.

I thought the only place we stopped was where we cut the tree up to move it. So I called the guys in the other vehicle and said we are turning around. We drove back and I was straining my eyes with my head out the window looking along the side of the road for a green knife and sheath... ::facepalm::

We drove and drove and I thought we had to have passed it. We had pushed all the parts of the tree off the road so we could not easily find the exact spot. ::dang::

Then when all hope appeared lost ::skeptic:: ... I saw it :shock: right there in the middle of the gravel & dirt road! My strider!!! ::ds:: I must have kicked it out when I got out the truck and not heard it hit the ground (I have a lot of hearing loss so :roll: ...).

Well like my mama always said ; "Better to be born lucky than good looking or rich" :wink:
Attachments
DSCF2915.JPG
DSCF2904.JPG
screenshot.png
DSCF2808.JPG
DSCF2808.JPG (42.42 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
DSCF2821.JPG
DSCF2821.JPG (51.46 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
DSCF2850.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

jhmenges wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:16 pm Hey All,
I'm new to the site, but not new to knives... Lost and Found!! Hope you enjoyed reading about it.
Thanks for posting this thread! ::nod:: I think a lot of "Knife-Nuts" have lost a knife or two over the years :roll: a pretty common thing to happen... ::paranoid:: but it is the times that we find that knife again that really stand out in our memories. ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
jhmenges

Post by jhmenges »

Love the story of the "lost and found" Strider. And the photos! Beautiful knife like that with the memories attached becomes a close friend! Thanx for sharing!
jhm

Return to “General Knife Discussion”