Real Men

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Real Men

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Real Men

Post by jerryd6818 »

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I cringe ........ I just wanna be me ............ ::nod::
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Heaven help us! Lol.

You wanna really confuse folks, order a plain black coffee. They don’t know what to think.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

No contaminants in my coffee - just black, no sweetener. And I’ve never done any of that stuff the guy claims to have done in that video. :lol: ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Good one, Jerry.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 pm And I’ve never done any of that stuff the guy claims to have done in that video. :lol: ::hmm::

Ken
I have never done any of that stuff either, except for the spearfishing in the Congo. Here is a pic of me and a Tigerfish that I got a couple of years ago. Some people have told me that I remind them of Jeremy Wade. ::shrug::
Attachments
Tigerfish_2.jpg
Ike
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I bring a Stanley thermos full of black coffee to work every day!
Waukonda wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 pm Good one, Jerry.

[quote=Mumbleypeg post_id=947964 time=<a href="tel:1631641927">1631641927</a> user_id=18569]
And I’ve never done any of that stuff the guy claims to have done in that video. :lol: ::hmm::

Ken
I have never done any of that stuff either, except for the spearfishing in the Congo. Here is a pic of me and a Tigerfish that I got a couple of years ago. Some people have told me that I remind them of Jeremy Wade. ::shrug::
[/quote]

Ike, that’s some kind of amazing right there!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Charlie's video. I just tried to make sure it got seen.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Samb

Post by Samb »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 pm And I’ve never done any of that stuff the guy claims to have done in that video. :lol: ::hmm::

Ken
Compared to the fish I catch that looks like a minnow, lol.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Ken
Spear fishing? Us real men wrestle those tigerfish by hand!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Gosh dangit, boys! Tryin to show off one of the prouder moments of my life, and y'all are ridiculin' me.

Hey, I have caught some toothy, bony old Gar out of muddy Illinois creeks in my lifetime. :lol: :lol: :lol: i wouldn't be mistaken for Jeremy Wade either, maybe Gomer Pyle. :o
Ike
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 pm Gosh dangit, boys! Tryin to show off one of the prouder moments of my life, and y'all are ridiculin' me.

Hey, I have caught some toothy, bony old Gar out of muddy Illinois creeks in my lifetime. :lol: :lol: :lol: i wouldn't be mistaken for Jeremy Wade either, maybe Gomer Pyle. :o
Ike, don't let anybody put you down. We catch our bait fish by hand here in Texas too. ::tounge:: ::tounge::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:20 pm You wanna really confuse folks, order a plain black coffee. They don’t know what to think.
Sad, but true.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 pm No contaminants in my coffee - just black, no sweetener.
I used to like my coffee with contaminants. Then one day, I decided there was a better use for $3-4 than a two weeks' supply of CoffeeMate. These days, I will put milk or half-and-half in coffee, but only if it's hot and I don't want to wait for it to cool down. Maybe this makes me a wacko, but I find coffee best when it's no warmer than room temperature.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

When I first started drinking coffee as a teenager, I used real cream, PET, CARNATION or whatever was in the fridge.

Dad told me that was “Sissy” and challenged me to drink it black for two weeks, no matter how badly I thought it tasted. I did that and I still drink it black.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Didn't start drinking coffee until I was 20. Cream and sugar for a while and then I ditched the cream but kept the sugar (I'm a sugarholic). Fast forward to the turn of the century when I dropped the sugar (trying to drop the weight I picked when I quit smoking). Now I seldom drink coffee. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Starbucks sells $7 milkshakes, not sure if there's any coffee in there ::uc::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

In the Navy back in the early 70's we had those 30 cup percolators everywhere on the ship. By the time you get down to the bottom third of that it gets very strong (depending on the amount of grounds used) so I got in the habit of sugar and cream. Later after I came to shore duty we used the 10 cup drip coffee makers in the control tower and radar room so the coffee was much better. I dropped the sugar, but I still continue to this day to use milk or half & half.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I grind 8 o’clock beans every morning, make the coffee in my trusty Bunn coffee pot, pour into the Stanley black, and drink it from my Ithaca cup. Perfection. I will occasionally put some half and half, NO sugar, in my coffee

A couple of years ago I need a new thermos so I got on eBay and bought a good looking older USA made Stanley. Unfortunately, it had lost it’s vacuum and wouldn’t keep anything hot. So I decided to try out their lifetime warranty. I contacted them, they asked for my model number, sent me a brand new one with no questions asked. They did ask that I destroy the old one, so I did. With an AR 15! But, Stanley WILL stand behind their products.
Attachments
A31FFA50-0F4E-4EE6-B9C7-AD7BE085A95B.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:15 pm I grind 8 o’clock beans every morning, make the coffee in my trusty Bunn coffee pot, pour into the Stanley black, and drink it from my Ithaca cup. Perfection. I will occasionally put some half and half, NO sugar, in my coffee

A couple of years ago I need a new thermos so I got on eBay and bought a good looking older USA made Stanley. Unfortunately, it had lost it’s vacuum and wouldn’t keep anything hot. So I decided to try out their lifetime warranty. I contacted them, they asked for my model number, sent me a brand new one with no questions asked. They did ask that I destroy the old one, so I did. With an AR 15! But, Stanley WILL stand behind their products.
Now that is good to hear that we still have some companies left that stand by their products like that.... ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
eveled

Post by eveled »

The family story is that my Dad went into a diner ordered a black coffee. The waitress gave it to him with a little milk. He asked why. She told him he looked like he needed some nutrition.

He ended up marrying her. He drank coffee with milk for the rest of his life.

Coffee or tea with milk is called a Julie Andrews. Does anyone know why?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I started drinking coffee when I was a kid, with my dad at the deer lease, fishing, or in a duck blind. It was strong and black, no sugar. Dad called it “camp coffee”. ::woot:: I was never offered coffee at home where mom made it. :lol: So I didn’t know any better. Then when I got my first job after college I worked in an area next to the data processing center, a three shift operation that had a thirty-cup coffee urn. Usually when I got there the remains of the night shift coffee was what I got, before the day shift made a new morning pot.

Over 50+ years of marriage (and especially since retirement) my wife has “refined” my taste toward regular strength coffee. But I still don’t put any contaminants in it. Our daughter-in-law likes what I call “foo-foo coffee” with hazelnut, mint, or any manner of other flavors in it. I tease her about it - when we’re visiting there out of deference to me she makes plain coffee although I’ve never asked her to. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ea42

Post by ea42 »

eveled wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 pm The family story is that my Dad went into a diner ordered a black coffee. The waitress gave it to him with a little milk. He asked why. She told him he looked like he needed some nutrition.

He ended up marrying her. He drank coffee with milk for the rest of his life.

Coffee or tea with milk is called a Julie Andrews. Does anyone know why?

Ed It stems from Julie Andrews' stint as a nun, or white nun to put the coffee type into perspective; milk no sugar/white nun(none).

Cool story about your folks! ::tu::

Eric
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks Eric. Yes Julie Andrews is the white nun. So it’s milk no sugar.

My Dad liked to tell that story. He said he fell in love with her because she cared enough to worry about his health. Truth to tell she probably saved him from an early death.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 pm In the Navy back in the early 70's we had those 30 cup percolators everywhere on the ship. By the time you get down to the bottom third of that it gets very strong (depending on the amount of grounds used) so I got in the habit of sugar and cream. Later after I came to shore duty we used the 10 cup drip coffee makers in the control tower and radar room so the coffee was much better. I dropped the sugar, but I still continue to this day to use milk or half & half.
Navy and coffee? Indeed.

I hadn't been on my new ship for long, and I didn't drink coffee. I had the 8:00 watch and the grizzily old Chief came in to the control room, headed for the percolator and it was empty. He really got on my ass for not having it ready when he came on duty. I thought it was BS for me to be required to make coffee since I didn't drink it, but you do what you have to do to get by. The next morning, I got that 30 cup percolator and I scrubbed the crap out of it with Comet (and wasn't real particular about how well I rinsed it) I made the coffee and manned my broom for a clean sweep fore and aft....The Chief comes in, sees the coffee is made and smirks as he fills his regulation mug. I had my head turned but my ears open when he spewed the first mouthful all over the room. He pops the lid off of the percolator and sees it is shining like new money. I thought he was going to cry when he explained that it took three years to properly "season" a new percolator....I just played innocent and told him, Chief, the inside of that thing was filthy, I couldn't make your coffee in a dirty machine....I never had to make coffee again, but I never got off of his **** list either. It was worth it as it still makes me chuckle 50 years after the fact. ;)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”