$15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Maddogfl

$15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by Maddogfl »

Fairbairn Sykes, step aside....I "discovered" these knives working in construction. They are certainly noting you would want to brag about, but I am shameless and will do it anyway.

A "tactical" knife, inferring a weapon more than a tool, is something no one is going to use daily for the purpose intended. If you had to use one more than once in a lifetime, you are hanging out in the wrong places. For a fixed blade "tactical knife" , you need something capable of penetrating and slashing. These "duct" knives would fulfill that job well, although with not much "style." This Klenk duct knife with a little skateboard tape added to the rosewood handle could do the job of a $500.00 knife. If I carried this knife as a weapon I would certainly not feel under-armed. I would really hate to have that serrated edge wiggling around in my innards...;)
tongueriver

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by tongueriver »

I think duct knives have also been marketed to folk desiring to administer the throat artery cut on a hog, thereby dispatching the unfortunate fellow but promising great reward for the perpetrator. AKA "pig sticker." My self, I don't worry too much about violent encounters with people nor pigs (you're right about 'the wrong places') but if I was, I am prepared to go with one of my units that go BANG!. Ontario, et al, make and have made those knives with hardwood handles, also.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've been looking for a Gerber Mark II/Fairbairn Sykes type knife on a budget. A duct knife was the best thing I could come up with.

Seems that one company has taken that same idea commercially.

Klein Tools owns Blackfire; a company mostly producing flashlights, but also recently got into the knife and tool game.

They gave Klein's $20 duct knife different branding and a new sheath, and tripled the price; marketing it as a survival knife.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 pm I think duct knives have also been marketed to folk desiring to administer the throat artery cut on a hog, thereby dispatching the unfortunate fellow but promising great reward for the perpetrator. AKA "pig sticker." My self, I don't worry too much about violent encounters with people nor pigs (you're right about 'the wrong places') but if I was, I am prepared to go with one of my units that go BANG!. Ontario, et al, make and have made those knives with hardwood handles, also.

I'm with you, tongue, don't take a knife to a gun fight. 😉

Are there any pictures of said duct knife?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I had to do an internet search to see what a duct knife was.
They do look more "tactical" than "tool" to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Fix blade vs 45 long colt Ruger Vaquero....um, if you need a weapon that bad
the choice for me is the 45....
might be good in Natl Park where no guns allowed on trails....
"enter" less than palm size Beretta 22 long rifle in my pocket
Sorry, don't mean to be smart #$$...just real world stuff
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

stagman wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 pm Fix blade vs 45 long colt Ruger Vaquero....um, if you need a weapon that bad
the choice for me is the 45....
might be good in Natl Park where no guns allowed on trails....
"enter" less than palm size Beretta 22 long rifle in my pocket
Sorry, don't mean to be smart #$$...just real world stuff
Well, Stag, concealed means concealed. I carry a Colt Defender anywhere that doesn't have metal detectors. Nobody looks hard at a gray haired old man and his aging wife. ;) If I ever wanted to wear close fitting clothes to show off my manly physique to impress the young ladies I could always carry a Beretta Minx, or my Baby Browning in my jock strap. Right tool for the job at hand. (Talk about flashing someone, "Hey, baby, want to see my Minx?")

My post is really a sideways, tongue in cheek, poke at the term "tactical." That said, the duct knife would make a hell of a defensive blade even if it is not a Fairbairn Sykes or a Fallkniven. For heaven's sake, if you ever have to "tactically" stick someone, you will need to throw the knife in the river anyway, so would you rather throw away a $200.00 knife or a $15.00 one? Did I mention that I am a tightwad?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Borrowing this from Home Depot, I guess this is what we're talking about. ::shrug::
Attachments
OIP.jpeg

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Samb

Post by Samb »

Looks like a good stabber and with the serrations it could open someone open like a book. Nasty!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I'm gettin' older but I can still run. ::woot::
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

FRJ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am I'm gettin' older but I can still run. ::woot::

In that Jimmy Hoffa movie, he said, "charge a gun, run from a knife." Good to know. ::nod::

Samb

Post by Samb »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 am
FRJ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am I'm gettin' older but I can still run. ::woot::

In that Jimmy Hoffa movie, he said, "charge a gun, run from a knife." Good to know. ::nod::
Look where that got him.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Reckon I misunderstood ( a lot of that turning 70 end of month ) when you
implied not being under armed with that knife....
have had a CCW permit myself since 2007...no harm
done or taken ::handshake::

Stag
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

stagman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 pm Reckon I misunderstood ( a lot of that turning 70 end of month ) when you
implied not being under armed with that knife....
have had a CCW permit myself since 2007...no harm
done or taken ::handshake::

Stag
Starman, I got you by 4 years and that misunderstanding doesn't seem to get better with each year. But a lot of us on here are understanding that. ::facepalm:: ::shrug:: ::facepalm::
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

Old Hickory 73. carbon steel 13.95 unless you know someone, $7-8 whsl..
Attachments
Ontario-1336-scaled.jpg
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

TazmanTom18 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 pm Old Hickory 73. carbon steel 13.95 unless you know someone, $7-8 whsl..
Now, that is what I am talking about!

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”