Miccrotech Triwing Screws

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Miccrotech Triwing Screws

Post by Old Folder »

I have many "Torx" bit sets that can adjust tension on all my knives with screwed handles, with the exception of my "Microtech" auto knives.
Every screw used on a Microtech knife is proprietary. A standard screwdriver or Torx bit will not fit their exclusive screws. The below pictured Microtech Tool Kit features eight interchangeable bits, however, as you can see, the set is extremely expensive. (Over $300 with tax and shipping from smkw.)

Anyone have any other buying options for the Microtech "TRIWING" screw bits? I can't find "Triwing" bits for the edc layman. ::shrug::

Microtech Triwing Screwdriver (3).jpg
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Dan In MI

Re: Miccrotech Triwing Screws

Post by Dan In MI »

Is this the item you're referring to?

https://www.smkw.com/microtech-tool-kit

I found it on SMKW's site and took a look at it. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but are the screws' patterns raised rather than sunken in? If so, I can offer no alternative. But if they're sunken in like a Phillips or a Torx, screwdrivers for Nintendo systems may work. They use similar fasteners and should be much less expensive.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Hi Dan In MI,

Yes, basically the same set. Microtech's screws are raised, different sizes also.

The top Microtech Troodon Mini T/E Ca Legal OTF has 5 mm Triwing screws, and the lower Microtech Exocet Bounty Hunter Tanto OTF has 3 mm Triwing Screws. Identical screw configurations, with different screw widths.
One would think that the Chinese would be all over the "Triwing Screw" set. :shock:

IMG_0002 (10).JPG
IMG_0001 (17).JPG
Dan
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Looks like I will never purchase a Microtech.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like they don't want you taking it apart, Dan. If you can get it apart, I bet it looks like this.
Attachments
IMG_20201107_155024959.jpg
IMG_20201107_155007559.jpg
IMG_20201107_154601663.jpg
IMG_20201107_154809167.jpg
IMG_20201107_154433851.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

edge213 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:29 pm Looks like I will never purchase a Microtech.
I am inclined to agree with David, if they want to make it that difficult to work on, then I don't want or need one. I understand that Microtek are good quality knives, but the blocky design, painted metal handles and the OTF and switchblades, really don't do anything for me. Paying that much money to be able to work on my own knife that would remove any remaining interest I may have had for the brand. ::shrug::

If I really thought I needed one I would get the screws out and then replace them with screws that had a more common head.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The tri-wings I mentioned previously will not work. I certainly am not aware of anyone other than Microtech who makes a tool for working with Microtech's proprietary screws. Assuming you can remove them with a more common tool, Dale's idea is a good one.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I would be thinking that the screw threads would be proprietary too so you can't replace them with something else. That's what companies like that do to make a buck.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I hate proprietary screws. The type Gerber and Leatherman use are both considered proprietary, but Vise-Grips and/or a tiny pair of Crescent-brand Channellock-type pliers usually do wonders for tightening and loosening. Most knives and tools these days use common hardware; with Emerson being my favorite due to them not using Torx at all. But, Torx bits are common and cheap. Most screwdriver sets (especially the really cheap ones for electronics repair) will include T5, T6, T8, and T10. Others will include pentalobe Torx (the original Leatherman Wave is assembled with them) and tamperproof (the ones with a hole in the center) Torx (most newer Leatherman models are assembled with T10 Tamperproof).
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Hot off the press!!!

Comes in sizes extra small, small, medium and large.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210803-175226.png
Screenshot_20210803-182211.png

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:54 pm Hot off the press!!!

Comes in sizes extra small, small, medium and large.
Thanks for your research and time redrider, that's exactly what I am looking for. Looks like a new product from BLADEHQ' I looked within Blade HQ before, however, their "Search Engine" is very picky and this product did not appear.
My intentions for the Tri-wing screwdriver is to only adjust the tension of the blade.

It appears that some members are not in favor of OTF or so called "Boxy" type automatics, however, Microtech Knives started in 1994 with one mission: make the best knives possible. From OTF and automatic knives to pocket folders and fixed blades, their knives are designed and engineered to extremely close tolerances for ultimate performance, and are manufactured in the USA.

Yes, they are expensive, however, once you handle one, you'll understand the quality and price.

"Tri-Wing bits should only be used as a tool to adjust your screws. Disassembly of your knife will void your warranty.

Microtech uses proprietary hardware for two reasons. Firstly, because unique hardware adds a cool, modern, and distinctive touch to their knives. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is to discourage well-meaning, but unfortunately unprepared individuals from disassembling a complicated knife and ruining it. Doing so can void your warranty.

Simply put, if you don't know what you are doing, do not attempt to disassemble your Microtech. Rather, contact Microtech's warranty department, where a trained knife technician is anxiously awaiting your call. If you are confident in your knowledge of how your knife is supposed to function, how it comes apart, and how it goes together, this bit will help you get the job done.

MICRO-TECH KNIVES WARRANTY INFORMATION:
The Micro-Tech Knives Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Every Micro-Tech Knife product is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for the life of the owner. Micro-Tech Knives will repair or replace with a new item (at their option) any Micro-Tech Knives product that is defective.

Some products cannot be repaired depending on the limited availability of parts. In these situations, Micro-Tech Knives will furnish a currently manufactured item that most closely matches the item sent in for repair."

Within the footnote of "Microtech Warranty" I found the below statement to be a bit humorous:

"If upon arrival we determine your knife is counterfeit, we can return the knife to you, but we will first have to remove all the Microtech markings. Additionally, we do require a payment of $15 to cover return shipping, as this is not under the usual warranty for authentic repairs."

Microtech sells out almost immediately with new and re-stocked cutlery, BladeHQ alone lists close to 3,000 Microtech products.
As of this writing, only 48 Microtech knives are available at BLADEHQ, the rest are sold out and on backorder.

Dan
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the info, Dan. Glad to help a fellow AAPK member/knife enthusiast. ::handshake::

TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

TBARK Knives out of Texas custom makes them.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”