It's Beer Thirty

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: It's Beer Thirty

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:02 pm Looks delicious, David. ::tu:: Isn't Rail House in NC?
Yes sir.
My buddy's grandson brought it up for me.
He is in the Marine Corps. Stationed in NC.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

edge213 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:56 pm KA-BAR BROWN
Really cool logo, don't you think?
Yes indeed. I'll have to give that one a try eventually.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

David, I’ll have to see if I can get some of that. ::tu:: Looks like my kind of beer!

Coincidentally our son just returned from a trip to Arkansas, and brought me a six pack of this. I’m enjoying one now in fact! ::groove::

Ken
Attachments
932EE1E9-EFA5-41BF-9677-98B7BAEABC86.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks delicious, Ken! 🍻
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 pm David, I’ll have to see if I can get some of that. ::tu:: Looks like my kind of beer!

Coincidentally our son just returned from a trip to Arkansas, and brought me a six pack of this. I’m enjoying one now in fact! ::groove::

Ken
That is some good beer Ken ::tu::
David
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m used to pouring my own Black & Tan from Guinness and Harp. This isn’t the same but it’s pretty good nonetheless. ::tu:: Yuengling has started brewing beer in Ft. Worth with plans to start selling it in Texas this Fall. They drove an armored truck from Pennsylvania carrying their proprietary yeast, arriving in Ft. Worth on May 12th according to the press release. Going to make it in the brewery there owned by Miller Brewing, which already brews several other beers like Carlson and Lone Star.

We’ll see. ::skeptic::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:11 am I’m used to pouring my own Black & Tan from Guinness and Harp. This isn’t the same but it’s pretty good nonetheless. ::tu:: Yuengling has started brewing beer in Ft. Worth with plans to start selling it in Texas this Fall. They drove an armored truck from Pennsylvania carrying their proprietary yeast, arriving in Ft. Worth on May 12th according to the press release. Going to make it in the brewery there owned by Miller Brewing, which already brews several other beers like Carlson and Lone Star.

Ken
A "real" Black and Tan is Guinness and Bass.
Guinness and Harp is called a Half and Half.
Both are delicious in my book.
David
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

edge213 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:18 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:11 am I’m used to pouring my own Black & Tan from Guinness and Harp. This isn’t the same but it’s pretty good nonetheless. ::tu:: Yuengling has started brewing beer in Ft. Worth with plans to start selling it in Texas this Fall. They drove an armored truck from Pennsylvania carrying their proprietary yeast, arriving in Ft. Worth on May 12th according to the press release. Going to make it in the brewery there owned by Miller Brewing, which already brews several other beers like Carlson and Lone Star.

Ken

Have you done The Tour of Ireland, David? I did . . . once and lived to tell about it. I also drank 24 pints in an hour with my one brother, then brother-in-law and my bud Tom, at Murphy's in Old Town, Alexandria. It was an interesting night. 😵

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I was told both names are technically correct. The “Black & Tans” were the name the Irish called troops the English used to occupy Ireland (they wore black and khaki uniforms). Hence the Irish resented them. So you don’t order a “Black and Tan” in Ireland - instead you order a “Half & Half”. At least that was the explanation I was given by an Englishman I once worked with. ::shrug::

I like both. I usually just use Guinness and whichever of the other two I have on hand - seems like I never come out even since I’m prone to drink all of them by themselves too. ::doh::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:06 am
I was told both names are technically correct. The “Black & Tans” were the name the Irish called troops the English used to occupy Ireland (they wore black and khaki uniforms). Hence the Irish resented them. So you don’t order a “Black and Tan” in Ireland - instead you order a “Half & Half”. At least that was the explanation I was given by an Englishman I once worked with. ::shrug::

I like both. I usually just use Guinness and whichever of the other two I have on hand - seems like I never come out even since I’m prone to drink all of them by themselves too. ::doh::

Ken
Great info Ken!
I also am a fan of all three.
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:40 am

Ken

Have you done The Tour of Ireland, David? I did . . . once and lived to tell about it. I also drank 24 pints in an hour with my one brother, then brother-in-law and my bud Tom, at Murphy's in Old Town, Alexandria. It was an interesting night. 😵

Apparently not since I don't know what it is, but since my name is McCarty you must tell me about it. Seems I need to try. :lol:
David
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mango season is on and strong here in HI...got enough mangoes to dry & pickle...but my favorite way to consume this sweet delicious tropical fruit is fresh...for example in this tasty fresh mango / mahi mahi ceviche (my signature dish ::nod:: , prefer Ono, but only fresh mahi mahi at local market, so had to make do...still pretty tasty, though.)

Nothing goes better with a fruit-sweet salsa than a frosty "fruitbeer" (aka IPA) :lol:

This Kua Bay IPA was my natural go-to choice to pair with my fresh mango ceviche. :D
P7260002.JPG

Admit it...You want to just dig right in, don't you! :lol: ::sotb::
P7260003.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

edge213 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:40 am
1967redrider wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:40 am

Apparently not since I don't know what it is, but since my name is McCarty you must tell me about it. Seems I need to try. :lol:

Ok, here you go as told to me by an Irish bartender at the now closed Pat Troy's/Ireland's Own. It's 7 pints that represent the tour- a pint each of Guinness, Harp and Smithwick (pronounced "smidicks"), then pints of Half & Half (Guinness and Harp), a Black & Tan (Guinness & Bass), an Irish Black & Tan (Guinness & Smithwick) and a Black Velvet (Guinness & Irish Cider). This represents the 7 original Celtic nations, that's how he explained it to me. 🍻 🇮🇪

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:57 am Mango season is on and strong here in HI...got enough mangoes to dry & pickle...but my favorite way to consume this sweet delicious tropical fruit is fresh...for example in this tasty fresh mango / mahi mahi ceviche (my signature dish ::nod:: , prefer Ono, but only fresh mahi mahi at local market, so had to make do...still pretty tasty, though.)

Nothing goes better with a fruit-sweet salsa than a frosty "fruitbeer" (aka IPA) :lol:

This Kua Bay IPA was my natural go-to choice to pair with my fresh mango ceviche. :D
P7260002.JPG

P7260003.JPG

Looks delicious, Q! My vegan sister makes some killer mango salsa. 😋

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Ken
Get yourself one of these custom half and half beer glasses and you can come up with any combination of beers that you like.
6E2E5880-4487-4610-A9F3-C35453919657.jpeg
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's pretty cool, Jeff! ::tu:: 🍻

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Q, that looks delicious. Wish we could get fresh seafood here. When we were on Maui a few years ago I remember a mahi mahi sandwich was cheaper than a hamburger! And better too! ::tu::

Jeff, I haven’t seen one of those glasses - that’s cheating! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:57 am Mango season is on and strong here in HI...got enough mangoes to dry & pickle...but my favorite way to consume this sweet delicious tropical fruit is fresh...for example in this tasty fresh mango / mahi mahi ceviche (my signature dish ::nod:: , prefer Ono, but only fresh mahi mahi at local market, so had to make do...still pretty tasty, though.)

P7260002.JPG

P7260003.JPG

Dang mate, that combo is right up my alley.
::drool::

If I ever come to the islands, I'm dropping by; gotta try it out.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DB5F6940-4D0E-4226-9110-5674C604DAFE.jpeg
Back Home!!! 👍😋👍
John 🏎
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

After reading all this, I want to try Guinness again. I tried a sip of it some 20 years ago and didn't like it, but my taste has changed considerably since then. Q's mango ceviche looks amazing, too!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice, John. 🍻

All of this talk about Guinness got my taste buds going.
Attachments
IMG_20210728_194555900.jpg

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:53 pm Nice, John. 🍻

Thank You John 🤝 Those are to dark for me!! Nice knife. 👍Glad you enjoy though. 👊
John 🎩
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Herb gifted me with that German Scout knife, I love the uniqueness of it. ::tu:: Is that a sausage fork or do German Scouts smoke stogies? ::shrug::
Attachments
Screenshot_20210730-140858.png

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

jmh58 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:40 pm DB5F6940-4D0E-4226-9110-5674C604DAFE.jpeg

Back Home!!! 👍😋👍
John 🏎
I don’t think we get Yuengling here yet.
Whenever I travel south I always stop in at a local bar for one or two pints on draft. To me it always taste better than the canned version.
Might just be my old taste buds though.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:53 pm Nice, John. 🍻

There’s nothing better than a nice cold Guinness on a warm summer evening!
Jeff

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”