Ever See One of These Up Close?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Ever See One of These Up Close?

Post by Paladin »

Just borrowing a line from an old joke but check out the photo I borrowed off the Bay. It is what I believe to be an original and authentic cracked ice handle on that old Imperial. It is broken up mother of pearl encased in some sort of clear resin or such and I believe it is the first of its kind I have seen. I'm guessing that our newer cracked ice handles kind of evolved from this.

Ray

Here is a link to the listing... https://www.ebay.com/itm/313571184864?h ... Sw5ARgzNub
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (61.2 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ever See One of These Up Close?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Excellent condition. Marked, tight, great snaps. Celluloid scales.

Excellent condition? Seriously? It's in horrid condition. And $99.99 is a pipe dream. I wouldn't give a dollar for it if someone gave me the dollar and said, "Here. Go ahead and buy it." ::barf:: I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

Someone has been out in that Arizona sun too long.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting the way it deteriorated. It looks like there might have been silver paint(possibly nitrocellulose lacquer) applied to the underside of the clear handles(don't think it is celluloid though)and it started to separate possibly due to heat or sunlight.The curvature of the handles may have created a "magnifying glass" effect. Someone will likely pay the price unfortunately.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:32 pm Interesting the way it deteriorated. It looks like there might have been silver paint(possibly nitrocellulose lacquer) applied to the underside of the clear handles(don't think it is celluloid though)and it started to separate possibly due to heat or sunlight.The curvature of the handles may have created a "magnifying glass" effect. Someone will likely pay the price unfortunately.
That was my first thought because there's no rust on the blades but I couldn't wrap my mind around the obvious damage to the handles. It looked somewhat like celluloid but it didn't look like celluloid deteriorating. I'm going with Ray.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That is actually a common handle material to find on vintage Imperial and Colonial knives.

Here is an Imperial that I have.
Attachments
IMG_6861.JPG
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6863.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I couldn't imagine someone would take the time to doctor up a common Imperial. Being offered by the "Everything for $**9.99" guy. ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Steve:It looks like yours is experiencing a bit of out-gassing.The OP knife doesn't look that way unless the bolsters have been polished.It's hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like it has ever been sharpened either. The blades;although showing some age spots don't appear to have been the victim of cel degradation.Curious. ::shrug::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:32 pm I was born at night but it wasn't last night.
:lol:

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”