Russian bowie Help

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
petekuhn

Russian bowie Help

Post by petekuhn »

Hi. Can anyone identify this mark. I believe some of it`s missing but might be some one here that`s seen it before.
Attachments
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
Ridgegrass

Re: Russian bowie Help

Post by Ridgegrass »

Spoke to my brother who is fluent in Russian. His answer is only the English form of the Cyrillic letters. As follows: 1st letter unknown, E R E M I (?) (The last character that looks like a "b" is not a letter but a symbol to "soften" the preceding vowel. He didn't recognize any possible place or name. Pronunciation of the legible part of the word would be something like "eremia" as in anemia. Maybe someone on the forum knows of a manufacturing location or maker with that as part of the name?

Do you think the blade and handle are original to each other. The handle looks like table cutlery. JMHO ::shrug:: My brother said he thought it was pre-revolution era. Before 1917. Hope this helps. Good luck solving it. J.O'.
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

Thanks for your help. Silver cutlery handle bowies are common and usually have a lot of etching on them like this one does. They are filled with cutlers cement and balance well. This is the correct handle. Thanks for your time.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

You might try posting over on Bladeforums in the Bernard Levine Identification sub-forum, tagging member "makandr".

He is a Russian on the forum well versed in all Russian cutlery types. Written several books on a variety of knife topics. whatever he can tell you about the knife will be gospel.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

petekuhn wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:44 pm Thanks for your help. Silver cutlery handle bowies are common and usually have a lot of etching on them like this one does. They are filled with cutlers cement and balance well. This is the correct handle. Thanks for your time.
I agree with Ridgegrass, handle looks like table cutlery. Bowie knives never used silver handles they used nickel silver handles and the pattern on the knife in question looks like table cutlery. The blade doesn't look like an early blade either, looks like 20th century to me.
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

Might be true, but want to find out what it says on the blade
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Eustace would know. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Is the handle sterling? The luster is more 'coin" or German or nickel silver. If you get a definitive reply on it's origin please post it here.

Thanks and good luck. Hope it's worth a fortune. ::tu:: J.O'.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I have one very similar, but unfortunately I can't make out the blade etch.
Attachments
20210605_140807.jpg
20210605_140757.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

In the closeup of the stamp it appears as though there is a faint blade etch on the lower part of the blade and it looks suspiciously like something from the pre-Bolshevik era(1917). Although there have been a lot of silver table knife handled fake bowies around I don't think this is one of them.They are usually marked with the names of English cutlery firms. Doesn't make much sense someone would fake a bowie that nobody ever heard of;especially in Russian. JMHO
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

The whole blade is etched on both sides and look at the line of the blade. Handle might be a replace but I only want to find out what it says.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

edge213 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:18 pm I have one very similar, but unfortunately I can't make out the blade etch.
That one for sure is a table carving knife. Good looker, is the handle marked sterling?
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Gunsil wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:29 am
edge213 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:18 pm I have one very similar, but unfortunately I can't make out the blade etch.
That one for sure is a table carving knife. Good looker, is the handle marked sterling?
No markings that I could find.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:55 pm Eustace would know. ::nod::
How are you, my friend?

A. Eremin, Pavlovo. Peasant handicraftsman. The beginning of the twentieth century. The name could not be established.
The knife is a compilation - a broken blade attached to the handle of a kitchen knife. It can be seen in the second photo - the connection between the blade and the handle.
Attachments
А.Ереминъ.jpg
А.Ереминъ.jpg (1.99 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
petekuhn

Post by petekuhn »

Thank you very much!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”