Case guys help

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Pawn1

Case guys help

Post by Pawn1 »

So I have a question? I have noticed a lot of your earlier case XX knives will not have a model number also will have the closed “C” shield like on tested knives. Now my question is if a XX 40-64 knife has both can it still just be a regular bone knife an not green bone? I’m curious if color of the bone alone is what makes a knife more Sought after (bone /green bone) or is it that the bone turns that green color because it’s an earlier XX closer to 1940? If you understand what I’m saying please help!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case guys help

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some are of the opinion that true “green bone” only existed in the Tested era. I've seen a few XX era knives having green bone. But they're few and far between. Still others seem to believe all Tested jigged bone handled knives are green bone. Whether the shield has a closed C has nothing to do with it. It's all in the dye that was used.

Green bone is a definite shade/color. Difficult to explain it but if you've looked at enough of it you know it when you see it. It's often difficult to get photos that are representative. My advice is to go to a show, find a reputable dealer, and get them to show you what green bone is. If they that showing you knives that aren't Case, walk away.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Pawn1

Post by Pawn1 »

This is an example
C4946A12-F0AE-4D7A-A6D8-FEC9AB703688.jpeg
Pawn1

Post by Pawn1 »

It has a closed “c” shield an no model making it a earlier xx but looks like regular bone to me an not green bone
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Pawn1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:17 pm This is an example C4946A12-F0AE-4D7A-A6D8-FEC9AB703688.jpeg
This is not green bone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I always thought green bone was so lightly colored green that it was possible to miss.
I think bone can change color too, especially in hot/humid conditions. That is why
pictures of knives is deceiving. Depending on the lighting and quality of the camera
and your computer screen, the color could be all over the place.

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s an old thread that may help. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66485

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Pawn1

Post by Pawn1 »

Well that is exactly what I thought the one’s earlier in production some tend to be the green/brown. The knife in the OP is definitely early in the XX production, they hadn’t even changed from the tested shield yet or started using the model numbers I think that started in 49ish.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Pawn1 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:13 am Well that is exactly what I thought the one’s earlier in production some tend to be the green/brown. The knife in the OP is definitely early in the XX production, they hadn’t even changed from the tested shield yet or started using the model numbers I think that started in 49ish.
I agree the knife pictured is from the early XX production years. However just to clarify, be cautious with the assumption “they hadn’t even changed from the tested shield yet”. In fact more than one shield style was being used around that time - examples of the “open C, tall S” shield (commonly called the XX era shield) on knives stamped Tested XX will also be seen.

In other words you will find knives stamped Tested XX having the “XX shield”, and knives stamped XX having the “Tested shield”. There is no clearly defined changeover date. Evidence indicates there was a time during which both shields were used.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Pawn1

Post by Pawn1 »

Thank Ken you are always so full of knowledge. I was actually curious about that because I have see lately a lot of tested xx knives with the xx shield. So thank you 🙏 for that help!
Pawn1

Post by Pawn1 »

It’s actually funny you linked the dgood187 because that was actually me my old account. I got locked out and couldn’t recover that account an had to make a new one, this one. I wish I could recover it!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Pawn1 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:33 pm Thank Ken you are always so full of knowledge.
:lol: My wife says I’m full of something, but it’s not knowledge! Thanks anyway, glad I can help. :lol: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”