Saving an etch when cleaning or restoring?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Pawn1

Saving an etch when cleaning or restoring?

Post by Pawn1 »

I just recently purchased a Remington R697 pruning knife an it still has a beautiful full Remington etch but the blades are dark an have some scratches I would like to get out. I know some will say leave it as is but if I was to clean it what’s the best way to make sure the etch stays. Also it doesn’t sit all the way down into the knife when closed. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
3F68F5C4-A34D-4149-ABD4-CF8D39EAA5BF.jpeg
544069B4-98D6-4FF2-A166-3C5893F318DC.jpeg
E3EFE75C-89FD-40C4-AA98-26545747C000.png
Pawn1

Re: Saving an etch when cleaning or restoring?

Post by Pawn1 »

Also if anyone knows did the knife come with the “D” ring on the end or no?
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

No, there is no way to save the etch and get that blade shiny, none, zilch. The ring and holes for the ring are not original so the knife will not bring much even if shiny although many collectors prefer a patinated and scratched blade with a good etch than a cleaned knife. Obviously the blade is fairly worn so the tip is up, you can fie the "kick" down a little to drop the blade into the well. The kick is the pointy bottom of the tang area.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Gosh I wouldn't do a darn thing to that blade, just wipe it down with some oil and be happy you have a beautiful old classic with the original etch and finish. There are FAR fewer R697's with the original etch than there are with shiny, over buffed blades. If you're removing etches and removing scratches you're no longer "cleaning" a blade, you're altering it.

One thing you might try which has worked for me at times, and which is as far as I'm willing to go on a blade, is 2500 grit metal polishing sandpaper. This usually takes only surface discoloration out while saving the etch. It loads up quickly so you need to wipe the blade down often, maybe even use some water as a lubricant. Try it on an inconspicuous area first. It won't remove the scratches (they're an integral part of that knife's history now), but it will take some of that patina down. Just go light so the etch isn't obliterated. Don't go all crazy trying to get every last bit of discoloration out either, you won't. You're just trying to lighten it a bit. You won't get rust pits out either, they're just to deep. If you see the etch start to fade stop immediately, even if you've just started. Also, stay away from the "edge" of the swedge so you don't round it off.

Personally for me on that blade I'd just take the kick down and be happy with it.

Eric
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Another, similar approach that I use is 0000 steel wool and WD40. Start out very lightly and you can see if it is affecting the etch. The WD 40 will dissolve any dirt, rust, gunk or foreign material on the blade and the 0000 steel wool helps with the process. These hawkbill pruners are designed with a very large kick, so that as the blade wears down, you can adjust the position that the blade sits in the blade well. Just carefully and slowly file off a tiny little bit from the end of the kick, check, and repeat, until it sits where you want it in the well. A little bit goes a long way.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

A little ballistol and some paper towels is as far as I would go. A shiny blade on that knife just ain’t right. If patina on old used knives isn’t your thing, I’d stick to stainless. Just my 2¢, YMMV.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I agree with the advice already given. Having a good etch is a LOT better than having a clean blade.
I love a well-preserved knife, but anything you do to make that blade shiny now, after years of use, is only going to damage the knife. Wipe it down with oil, file the kick slightly, and revel in the beauty of that etch!
(Not that I am telling you what to do with your knife. This is just a suggestion!)
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I might slightly alter the kick, like Herb said, and just leave it at that. Great old survivor! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I agree with the steel wool 0000 and WD 40 along with filing down the kick just a bit. You will not get
the blade surface completely shiny but will get the patina and the top surface foreign materials down
a bit while preserving the etch. Nice knife.

Bob
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

I would leave it be, that etch looks to good, why take a chance
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
Pawn1

Post by Pawn1 »

0ADD9E50-B0C0-4A1B-BDBA-C064B818A473.jpeg
1DA73C7C-1C47-4D3A-B725-2ECE3A0F8AB5.jpeg
7842CD79-9B7A-4788-9233-2F6AB1B0B437.jpeg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Wow, that is gorgeous. You did well!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Good job! Thank you for not buffing it!!!!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Pawn1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:50 pm 0ADD9E50-B0C0-4A1B-BDBA-C064B818A473.jpeg1DA73C7C-1C47-4D3A-B725-2ECE3A0F8AB5.jpeg7842CD79-9B7A-4788-9233-2F6AB1B0B437.jpeg
You have just found a new profession. ::nod:: :lol:
Pawn1

Post by Pawn1 »

I wish! Honestly I would love to do it , I enjoy it. I wonder if I really could?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”